Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
The latest iTunes update is bad. I like to manually manage my music and there doesn't seem to be a way to actually just move a single album to my 7. Instead, I can either choose to move all of that artist's albums over that I have or...hold Shift and select a batch of songs to move over. Seems really unintuitive.

iTunes is bad, but I guess I don't care that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I just cut a little around the camera hole on my iPhone 6 (Saddle Brown) case and it works perfectly for my 7.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I was looking to buy an SE as an extra phone and was wondering if anybody else who took advantage of the iPhone trade-in program that Verizon had set up last year could answer a question. Can I swap sims and be alright, or is it going to gently caress up my monthly bill credit if Verizon detects I'm not using the 7? Not sure if they just meant the line had to stay active for the 24 months or if that included the phone too.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

So I just accidentally discovered that if you 3D Touch the left edge of the screen, you can access your last-used apps. :monocle:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I don't really keep up with this stuff, man.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

So, the other day I was in the process of attempting to call Apple Support to buy AppleCare+ for my 7 and I actually managed to lose grip of the phone as I was pulling it out of my pocket. It hit the concrete and smashed the screen. Top half of the screen is spider-webbed with the area around the earpiece shattered. Still works, but I assume I'm hosed on getting AppleCare now. Could I get away with a cracked screen on the remote diagnostic, or will that pick up a heavy impact from the accelerometer?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Very similar thing happened to me with my SE, which while being the best phone ever, is still remarkably fragile on a 2 foot drop onto concrete.

I didn't take the chance with Apple and bought a SquareTrade instead. Granted my SE is only damaged on one side and since it's now in a case you can't even tell. If I don't damage it further I may not even make a claim.

It later survived a 20 foot drop without a scratch because the Apple leather case develops a nigh invulnerable patina.

I ran over my (caseless) iPhone 4 with a Jeep Cherokee, had it covered in roof cement and washed off with diesel fuel, and it still functioned perfectly up until I traded it in toward an iPhone 6 in 2014. It was a good phone.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Well I didn't do any of that on purpose. Except for the diesel fuel part.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I'm sort of in disbelief that I've had an AirPods order since 2/26 and it's still processing with an estimated 4/17 ship date. Are they really that hard to come by?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Actually, you should get a saddle brown leather case.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't use a screen protector. Apple Leather Case is all I need.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

jabro posted:

So I washed my Airpods and they are toast. How is the fruit stand on having no receipt? I bought them off eBay so have no proof of purchase.

Aren't AirPods water resistant?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Selane posted:

Water resistant means water resistant, it doesn't mean "feel free to throw them in the drat washing machine".

Actually, yeah, I mistook water resistant for waterproof.

GoldfishStew posted:

Stoop to this level, lol. Same thread that is like, "How dare Apple gut consumers by even offering 16gig phones." To "hey don't take advantage of little old Apple!"

I took advantage of Apple by cracking my screen and still getting AppleCare+ by passing the remote diagnostic. :twisted:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Got my AirPods. They're really nice and easy to use. Definitely worth the $170 & month+1 week wait.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I think the AirPods sound better, but close to how the original EarPods sounded. I swear the original EarPods that came out in 2012 were leagues better than the ones that came with the iPhone 6. I accidentally washed the pair I bought in 2013 and pulled out the brand new pair that came with my 6 and thought I somehow got a knock-off pair.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

imo, it would've made more sense if double-tapping an AirPod skipped a track.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

My 5S is falling apart (literally - unfortunately), so its time for a change.

Looking at either a 6S or a 7 - but there doesn't seem to be much change other than the faster processor and lack of headphone port

Has anyone switched from the 6S > 7, are the changes worth spending quite a bit more on?

Get an SE

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I was going to send my iPhone 7 in to get the screen replaced and Apple is quoting me $99 ($106.18 or something like that after tax). I thought it was $29 for a screen replacement now under AC+? Considering Apple's service pricing page also states $29, what's the deal here?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Quoted online. I bought AC+ through Apple back in either April or May, so it's definitely valid. It's something like 75 miles to the nearest Apple Store, so I'd rather not have to drive all the way there to talk to someone in-store.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Oh. That explains it then.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Appropriate, since Oreo filling is awful and only the cookie portion is good

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Got my iPhone 7 back after sending it in for a screen replacement and the paper that came with it detailing the work done also specified that the battery was replaced as well. Is that just standard procedure when doing a screen replacement or...?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

How do I stop my phone replacing is with I.S every single time? Resetting the dictionary didn't work and it's not set up as a shortcut, although I tried to set up a is to is one. Didn't work!

Does my phone just really support Islamic state?

I sort of have this problem as well, except it’s the Ampersand. It will autocorrect itself to &a for some reason. It’s done it for years now over multiple phones.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

cowofwar posted:

So my new iPhone 8 plus is fast and nice but the only annoying this is that I am waiting for a case to arrive and it has fallen twice now from a stationary flat position. It’s so loving frictionless and the camera wart basically puts it on a permanent angle. Just laying there flat and then it randomly slides off. Once off the tub ledge and once off the bed.

Imagine being so attached to your smart telephone that you have to take it into the bathtub with you.

e: got my Apple threads mixed up. Oh well.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 11, 2017

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Yeah that would be weird but is this à propos of anything?

You mentioned 'tub ledge' and I guess I automatically assumed you meant the edge of a bathtub, but I guess it could've been an altogether different type of tub.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Pivo posted:

faceid works for me pretty much all the time. i haven't counted, but i mean i unlock my phone maybe 50-100 times a day or more, and it fails maybe twice, unless i'm trying to test faceid failure modes for people ITT

it does fail under direct sunlight but ... well, okay, that sucks. i'm rarely under direct sunlight, but that does happen.

The iPhone Thread: I'm Rarely Under Direct Sunlight

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I have a glass desk at home and I was thinking, could I attach a wireless charger under the glass and just lay my theoretical iPhone X over top of it and still get it to charge? Or does it have to be directly in contact with the charger?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

:yossame:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Pivo posted:

i think the mobile phone market is simply getting weird

Phone makers are rushing to rip-off the worst part of the iPhone X design

It's kind of incredible that they seem to have completely missed the reason why the iPhone Fruit Phone X has the notch.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I like the notch

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

And I am glad Android people will soon be able to walk into the Dollar Store and buy notched Android phones

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

3D Touch is okay, but I wish I could, say, use it on the Outlook app to compose an email without actually opening the app. Same with posting to Facebook and such.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

I just looked at my first Screen Time report.

It was a shameful report...

:negative:

Then I turned that poo poo right the gently caress off.

:mrgw:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

colachute posted:

Has anyone ever had the issue where you’ll be listening to music through your watch, and you’ll switch to your iPhone (to watch a video or something) and then your AirPods just stop working completely when you try to switch back to listening through your watch? And by completely, I mean they don’t work with the phone anymore either.

Here’s the exact situation:

I was listening to music through my watch and AirPods and I took a video on my phone. When I played the video, it cut the sound from my watch and played the sound from the video, through my phone — I did not manually stop the music from playing through my watch.. When I went back to listening to music through my watch, it wasn’t working. It would stay on whatever second it was on (0:47 of 3:45, for example) and then just give up and pause. When trying to play music through my phone, it will play for a few seconds but I don’t hear anything and then pause itself. If I press play again it will play through the phone speaker before picking up the AirPods signal and then pausing again. Pressing play makes it play for a few seconds with no actual sound, and then pause again. Pressing play makes it play through the phone speaker for a few seconds, and so on.

This has happened in the past and the only thing that fixes it is waiting for an amount of time that I’m not sure of. I just know I’ll try again later and it’ll mysteriously work.

I hope I was able to explain this issue thoroughly enough. I’ve tried forgetting all devices and restarting everything.

iPhone XS
Apple Watch 4
No idea what gen my headphones are but I got them late last year.

Everything is updated.

Yes, this started happening to my 1st gen AirPods literally hours after the AirPods 2 were released.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

There was once a version of the app where the default display in landscape was a skeuomorphic reel-to-reel tape deck. There have been some improvements.

That sounds cool, though?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I upgraded to a 12 mini a few days ago and I pretty much have no cellular service indoors now. My X had 3 or 4 bars consistently, but I'm lucky to get even 1 with the 12. So it's wifi in the house or nothing at all.

What's the deal? Bad sim or something? I'm on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I think it is Verizon. I have had issues for the last year or so where my X shows 3 bars of LTE but if the wifi is out, then I cannot do anything besides making a phone call. It even combat send text messages half of the time if they include a picture.

I kind of figured it was a Verizon issue. The 12 won't drop down to 3G or even 1x when I'm out of range of LTE or wifi, so I assume it just straight up loses service in that case.