Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I upgraded from a 5C to a 5S like a month ago. I'd be mad if I hadn't gotten a brand-new 32GB 5S for $250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TheQat posted:

Got 9.3 installed yay

Night shift needs varied weekend/week scheduling. It's a good start though

Why? The sun doesn't keep a different schedule on weekends.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I cannot loving believe that after three and a half years you still can't tell Apple Maps to avoid highways.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I have the black one on my silver 5S and it looks hella good

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I had some weird touchscreen behavior when I used an off-brand wall charger. Switched to an Apple one and haven't had a problem since. Don't buy non-Apple chargers unless you're fine with returning/replacing them until you get one that works properly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Froist posted:

Have they launched any new cases specifically for the iPhone SE? Saddle Brown is the pinnacle of case technology and only became available with the 6S.

The Apple leather 5/5s/SE cases used to come in a variety of colors, including a light brown that was pretty close to the saddle brown 6/6s case, but at some point after the launch of the 6 they stopped making the non-black ones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Please list things where 1080p makes a difference over 720p especially given that they are two different screen sizes anyway.

I don't understand the attitude on these forums that causes people to go "EXPLAIN YOURSELF, SIR" when someone voices a personal preference. They wanted a 1080p display and the 6+/6S+ is the only iPhone that offers it. Isn't that enough? Why do they need to justify themselves to you?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Recall that in those days people were using Palm OS and Windows Mobile, operating systems where every single interaction was stylus-controlled. He was talking about moving away from that to a finger-friendly interface so we wouldn't have to dick around with a fiddly little bit of plastic every time we wanted to do something. I doubt he was advocating eschewing styli for the purposes of drawing on a tablet.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phthisis posted:

All these people who claim they could not go back to a smaller screen, what do you need the big screen for? What are you using your phones for? Not once when I had an iPhone 5 did I want a larger screen, and not once since getting a 6s have I thought "I'm glad I have a bigger screen". But I have frequently thought "this is too big for my pocket" or "I can't hold this firmly in my hand and reach the entire screen".

It's nice to be able to fit more stuff on the screen. It's also far more comfortable for two-thumb typing, in my experience, and if you play any dexterity-based games the increased space to move offers finer control.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

enojy posted:

Any recommended aux cables with "headphone" controls built in, preferably on Amazon? I want to be able to use the two/three click shortcuts in Music to skip/go back tracks in the car.

You could use a Beats RemoteTalk cable. Genuine ones are a little pricey on Amazon (~$30) but knockoffs go for under $10. I can't vouch for the knockoffs but I expect they work well enough for your purposes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This will never happen, but I think it'd be nice if Apple conceded to making its phones a couple of millimeters thicker so they could survive falling a couple of feet without a case. I don't care much for the fact that your choice is either to conceal/dilute the elegant design of the device or risk it being destroyed from a random fall.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Saddle Brown Leather Case Accentuates The Sublime Elegance Of The Phone.

I'm not a fan of the way the case doesn't cover the bottom edge of the phone. The 5/5s/SE case covers all four sides of the phone, but I guess that wasn't possible with the 6 due to its shape.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Stop dropping your phones.

Thanks for the hot tip!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

And also for battery!

Also this. I know that cutting-edge industrial design to the detriment of performance is part of the deal when you use an iPhone, but I can dream.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The apple leather cases (but especially the Brown Apple Leather Case) for the 6/6S are perfectly designed to cover the necessary. They're an exercise in perfection and any more coverage would just be superfluous.

I'm sure they work just fine, I just prefer the look of the uniform coverage on all sides.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I never take pictures with the front camera, but it is handy to use as an ersatz mirror.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

True story: I didn't lose my virginity until age 25, less than a month after getting my first iPhone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What's so "exciting" about the S7? Genuinely curious.

You never know what Android feature you'll discover Samsung having hosed up next!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Minidust posted:

SE is my first phone with Touch ID. It's neat. My muscle memory is gradually adjusting to pushing the home button, and letting it rest there for a second to unlock.

I love how it's actually faster than pushing home and then swiping the screen. It basically adds an extra step for viewing home screen notifications though, right? Like if I want to go to a text directly, I have to swipe the notification, then unlock (either through Touch ID or passcode). I figure it kind of has to be like this, I'm just wondering if there's a more elegant way around it that I'm not aware of.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's worked ever since iOS 5. How could you remove a step from that process?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phthisis posted:

Those of us who didn't use a password pre-touch ID could just swipe the message and it would open the message. Now you have to swipe and unlock.

You can still do this if you remove the passcode and turn off Touch ID.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I'm happy with the official 5SE Black Leather Case.

I also use this and it's great.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

I ordered the Midnight Blue Apple leather case. It's unfortunate that Apple doesn't offer the best colors like Marigold, Soft Pink, and Marine Blue for the SE, like they do for the 6/6S. But I can deal with it.

Soft Pink was the best and cutest. Why did Apple have to discontinue it? :argh:

I don't know :( I wish I could get a nice pink case to go with my Neko Atsume wallpaper. I got one from Amazon but it was bulky and felt kinda cheap.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Palladium posted:

Or buying gimped 16GB models instead of higher capacity models they can recoup most of the price differential back during resale AND not worry about running out of space between this whole time.

Probably for the same reasons why so many people are bad in personal finances.

Or they just don't need a lot of space.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Carriers can add their own bookmarks to Safari, so maybe what appears to be a Vodaphone app is actually a home screen bookmark shortcut? Not sure if that's possible, but I've definitely set up new iPhones with carrier SIMs and seen bookmarks for the carrier's website appear in Safari's bookmarks.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Minidust posted:

I'm keeping an old iPhone around to use as a dedicated AirPlay streamer/Apple TV remote/iPod/etc. Is there a way to keep the phone from locking without also keeping the screen on at all times? I thought the auto-lock and screen dimming were separate options, but I can't find anything for separate screen dimming anywhere. Was it like that before or am I just remembering wrong?

I don't recall these ever being separate options. Why not just run it without a passcode so all you have to do is hit the home button and swipe?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How'd you get all those gang tags

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm interested. What's so great about it? I like naked phones.

It feels amazing, offers much better grip and adds very little bulk to the phone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Laserface posted:

Lmao at someone who can't figure out manually manage music and video and photo import in tyool 2016

Right, why can't everyone just instantly intuit how to use a notoriously overcomplicated piece of software with fifteen years of feature creep? Plebs :rolleyes:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hell, worst case you can always just throw up your hands and be like "I'm stumped." Left to her own devices, so to speak, an eighth-grader should be able to figure out how to get the stuff she wants on her phone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I work in a middle school and allllllll the kids have iPhones. It would be incredibly lame to take your daughter's away after you gave it to her.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

16gb is fine. Dick pics compress pretty well tbh

Just because your dick is small doesn't mean your files are

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Memory is different from hard drive space though.

Congrats on knowing something. No smartphone has a hard drive though, and flash storage is still referred to as memory, so not only were you needlessly pedantic it wasn't even accurate to the topic at hand.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

One of my coworkers has been using the same Apple silicone case on her 5c since she got it when it came out in 2013. It feels disgustingly greasy now and is so stretched out and misshapen that it barely stays on the phone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Apple Music users: do you have problems with your iCloud library when you're not on WiFi? Whenever I add something to my library from Apple Music, the album art doesn't load in my library until I'm on WiFi. It loads fine in the search interface, though. I also tested disabling and re-enabling iCloud Music Library entirely, and it wouldn't load my library at all until I got on WiFi. Does this match up with your experience?

e: I have "use cellular data" turned on of course

Weedle fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 5, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

6 days and my daughter's new SE 64 is lost/probably stolen. LOL.

And now I find out that find my phone is an app, it's not in there by default. Ooops.

And her idiot mom waits until the middle of the night to tell me, instead of daytime when the battery might still have some charge, and we might be able to call it.

It's insured, but the deductible is $200 so it still stings.

The Find my iPhone app is for viewing the location of a lost phone. The functionality that broadcasts a phone's location to the app is built-in to the OS, and I think you have an option to enable it in the setup process. If you did that, you should be able to use the app to find it. Also, since it's a brand-new phone, the battery life is still excellent and it may still be on, unless someone has been using it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

japtor posted:

Course a third party repair could void the warranty. (Well I'm assuming it does void it, but realistically it'll probably depend if Apple can tell there was a repair or not)

If you can find an Apple authorized service provider in your area, they will do the repair and preserve your warranty status.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

banana allergy posted:

This is not the case for iPhones. Only Apple retail or AppleCare by mail can do warranty service on iPhones. No one else gets authorized.

Some locations are authorized to do phones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Unity Gain posted:

I like to read the release notes :shrug:

Bug fixes and performance improvements.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Avocados posted:

I wish they brought back the 5C colors :sigh:

Hell, I wish they brought back the 5C body. That thing felt perfect in my hand, way better than any metal-bodied iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Y'all ever think that a joke might get old after it's made one hundred thousand times?