Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

noirstronaut posted:

I have no idea what kind of pants people wear where a mother loving tablet fits in their jeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The 7 means it's a 7 inch screen.

Realtalk if the big iPhones start a resurgence of people wearing JNCOs then I will pull out my Smashing Pumpkins Zero t-shirt and relive middle school all over again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Suqit posted:

always buy AppleCare plus.

Please do this. This is really the biggest reason I have an iPhone. Being able to stop by an apple store and get a fresh phone is completely worth the price.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

smackfu posted:

Maybe they get to actually book every iTunes user as a sale this way.

Prince did the same thing a few years back when he gave a free copy of his album with every concert ticket. Skyrocketed his Billboard listing, supposedly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

texaholic posted:

I have a iphone 5 from like a month or two after in came out and still have 7.5 gigs of available space. I have 2 gigs of pictures and .5 gigs of text messages and a couple random apps. 16 gigs is pretty sweet for me, no games/music/podcasts. I bet there are a lot of people out there like me, the 64/128 bump seems like one hell of a deal don't know why people are so upset. I surf the web, text, and listen to pandora and check email for work/personal life, the only things I use my phone for really.

I'm the same way, I just delete the apps I tried once and never use again, and use iTunes Match for music, Plex for video, and Dropbox for photo storage.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Also phonearena is reporting that the 6+ has 1GB of RAM, so that rumor was wrong.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apples-iPhone-6-Plus-phablet-also-comes-with-1-GB-of-RAM_id60741

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wow, The Verge really liked the camera in the 6+.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:siren:RAM-gate!:siren:

(Coining it now.)

That's some fine coining right there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The wobble from the lens doesn't seem that bad at all, honestly. Verge showed it in their video.

Not nearly as bad at the Moto-X at least.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DaNzA posted:

Oh really? :v:

I was expecting a lot worse

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

iOS 8 is up now

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

xzzy posted:

Yep, gotta stand in line for hours to get a phone a little bit sooner!

A phone that will have dozens just sitting on the shelf in about a month.

Though I guess if they're upgrading from a 4S or something I could understand the excitement of being able to swap a brick for something sexy.

I wasn't able to get an iPhone 5 off the shelf for a long time after it was released. I think I was finally able to get mine 2 months after they were out, and only because I was standing right right there when the 24 hour hold period for someone's preorder expired.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Prorat posted:

Does iOS8 slow down the 5s or 5c?

Running 8 on my regular 5 and it runs the same speed as before

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Weird question, but does the OG iPhone 5 support wifi calling? I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile soon because the voice service is poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Feenix posted:

So my wife accepted my family share invite. Is there a way (list, tab, other?) for her to see what I've purchased?

It takes a little time, but i set it up on my wife's iphone and mine yesterday, and I checked it tonight and was able to download her apps.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Feenix posted:

Is it its own list or just intermingled into the "Purchased" tab?

The purchased tab has a screen where you select which person's list you want.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The leather cases feel and look nice.

Always knew you were a leather man

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I have not seen anything of the sort on my 5.

In fact my battery life has been better, now that I think about it. I usually would hit the warning after a day, now I'm still around 25% when i go to bed

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Have we heard anything regarding whether or not the Apple Watch is waterproof? Seems like a must for any wallet, but I imagine it would be tough to do with something like the Apple Watch.

its water resistant, not waterproof.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

various cheeses posted:

Dammit iphone 6, I'm about to get throttled on at&t's lovely unlimited plan.

How bad is this going to be?

Hope you can work with dial up speeds

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

I just pulled a sizable bit of pocket fluff out of my 6's charger port after noticing my plug wouldn't go all the way in. I keep the phone in my pocket not even most of the day and don't have abnormal fluffy pockets or anything. Has this always been an issue with iPhones?

pull your pockets inside out when you put them in the wash

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Speaking of ports. The iPhone can't feasibly get much thinner in future iterations considering there needs to be a headphone and lightning port on there somewhere, right? Speculate on a workaround for this for iPhone 7 and beyond.

wireless charger, bluetooth headphones/data transfer

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

So finally got my 6. Are people actually using apply pay and is it worthwhile?

Also for my fingerprint can I add another one, say my left and right thumb?

Both thumbs and both index fingers for me.

Also the tip of my dick for sexual ApplePay encounters.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

movax posted:

gonna try this, brb

its like a baby arm holding an apple

that holds all my payment information for quick,easy,and safe transactions

also accepted at more places than bitcoin

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

My 6 hasn't given me a single battery warning yet, and I'm on it a bunch during the day. Usually my 5 would be about 15% at bedtime.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

So hey, my wife dropped her 2 week old iPhone 6 on the ground and the screen shattered. Luckily we live close to an Apple Store and got the screen fixed for 109 in just under an hour.

The last time I broke a screen was for my Sidekick 3, and was told to basically gently caress off and buy a new phone. It's pretty awesome to be able to do that for a cell phone these days and get it fixed pretty god drat quick.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Avocados posted:

Did you have Applecare? 109 seems incredibly cheap to fix.

Nope. Applecare is $79 to replace the screen of a 6.

edit: Apple Support link:
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

quote:

Screen Damage

Accidents happen. Sometimes a screen can get cracked or shattered. We’re here to help.

Request iPhone service

You can mail us your iPhone, make an appointment with a Genius at an Apple Retail Store, or click or tap below to start a service request and see more service options.

How long will it take?

Service at an Apple Retail Store is normally completed on the day of your appointment. If you send in your iPhone for service, you’ll receive a replacement or your repaired iPhone in three to five business days. A replacement iPhone will be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability.

How much does iPhone screen repair cost?

Repair and replacement costs depend on your iPhone model and your AppleCare coverage.

When you request screen repair online or by phone, Apple will place an authorization on your credit card to cover the iPhone out-of-warranty cost. We’ll charge this amount if your iPhone has additional damage and is eligible for out-of-warranty service. If your iPhone has no damage other than the screen, we’ll charge the amount below. Learn more.

iPhone 6: $109
iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5: $129
Plus a $6.95 shipping fee. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax. Pricing applies only to screen repair by Apple. Accidental damage isn’t covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.
Have AppleCare+?

AppleCare+ covers two incidents of accidental damage with a $79 service fee. You can also use our Express Replacement Service to get a replacement even before sending us your iPhone. You can check if you have AppleCare+ by entering your iPhone serial number.

Make sure you back up your iPhone before you send it to Apple or bring it to an Apple Retail Store.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

Any recommendations on a good double din iphone 6 compatible stereo for my old hooptie? I have one but it's probably 8+ years old now. I'd like to be able to plug in my phone to charge and be able to use it for spotify, etc. I guess I don't really need bluetooth since I can just charge it through the device, ideally. If it could display apple maps on the screen instead of it's own GPS that would be cool too. Also being able to hook up my old ipod would be cool.

I'd like to just find one I like and buy it through a local vendor so I can both support them and not have them gauge me on worker fees. (Would like it professionally installed) or I may just buy it online and have someone on craigslist do it.

I bought this with a double din box thing from crutchfield for like 70 bucks with the harness, and it works great. iTunes/Pandora/IHeartRadio controls from the head unit through USB, or you can use a 1/8" audio cable for other devices. No map screen, but I just bought a cradle for my dash and it works for me.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jKgW6LyW0hb/p_105KDX210/JVC-KD-X210.html

I never installed a head unit before, but I did this one myself and it works great. Not much to gently caress up, honestly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Serf Surviving posted:

She unknowingly dropped it and it landed right under my tire. I pulled away and we heard the crushing sound and that was it. Awful luck.
But yeah, thank you guys for the replies. Unfortunate situation but I guess we'll just pay up.

its 129$ at the Apple store is screen only, if the camera is loose then you're boned. sorry man.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

goodness posted:

Or do. I had the small size iphone 5 and never got close to the data limit or having to delete pictures.

Same, and I have a 16gb 6 right now.

Keeps me from hoarding too many apps on my phone.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

goodness posted:

On this topic; Never used a case for my iPhone before but it might be about time with this 6 being so thin and such. Any suggestions?

I have the apple leather case and it's pretty awesome.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Being smug about your poo poo not breaking is hilarious. Reminds me of my GameFAQs days as a kid where anybody mentioning a PS2 disc read error would be followed up by fifty people screaming "MINE'S WORKING FINE YOU MUST BE AN IDIOT BABY :smuggo: "

My launch 360 still hasn't red ringed.

And my lightning cables haven't frayed.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I've had a 6 for a couple months now and still think it's too big.

Really wish they just put the A8 into a 5/5s phone and called it the 5sx or something.

I still like the phone a lot, but miss being able to do everything one-handed.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

mine after almost 2 months. it's a great case, and i am 100% satisfied with it so far.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Got a weird question for you all.

My father passed away a couple weeks ago, and had an iPhone 4S running at least 8.0 on it at the time. He had a passcode on the phone, and my mother would like to get into the phone to get his pictures and other things. I've already spoken with Apple, who said they were unable to remove the code without restoring the phone, and he wasn't the sort to sync his phone to his computer much, if at all.

Would there be a way to remove the passcode through iTunes if I plugged it in to his computer? Or even another way to just break into it?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hotsauce posted:

This exact scenario happened to me a year and a half ago. My father-in-law passed away and we could never get into his phone or back up. Unless you have the password you will never get into it, sorry.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. I called the Apple Support line, and even with a Death Certificate the only way they'll do it is with a court order.

Sucks. :(

The next time I'm at their house I'll plug it in to his computer to try it, but it's probably hopeless.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

If you're absolutely determined there are robots you can hook it up to to brute force it.

I don't have it on me now, but I'm going to see if I can see what version of iOS is on there and try the youtube tricks for bypassing the code. If nothing else I can get in there, imessage the pictures out and consider it done.

that's really all I can think of left that I can try

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The 5c is nowhere near as good as a 5s

Agreed.

Go for the 5s if you can. It's way better.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

unless you are a Saudi Oil Baron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone had issues with screen burn-in on an iPhone 6? My phone has all sorts of burn in and I'm wondering if this is something that's covered under warranty or will it eat up one of my AppleCare+ replacements.

That would be a factory issue usually and they should replace it free.