Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

AHH FUGH posted:

I don't understand people who put phones in their pockets. It's just begging to get dust, lint, scratches and abrasions in the phone.

They're neckbeard monsters is what I'm saying.
So if you're not carrying a bag with you, where else other than a pocket is it going to go?

Unless I finally get to rock a belt-clip phone holster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ijyt posted:

So the only thing that NFC can be used for is APay because reasons. There go my hopes of using it as an emergency Oyster card.

Has it even been confirmed anywhere other than the US or is it another iTunes Radio where you can't use it if you're holding it wrong in the wrong country.
Oyster payments would be so crazy awesome, here's hoping that something like that gets worked out at some stage in the future.

At this stage, I've given up on iTunes Radio being a thing, I think.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The only issue I can see with the camera lens jutting out would be if you're sitting the phone face down and using the level gauge built in to the compass app to check if a surface is flat. Though again, with a case that becomes irrelevant.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

gohmak posted:

Seriously, stop placeing your iphone on hard surfaces regaurdless of protruding cameras or not. I've owned everysingle iteration of the iphone and kept them in mint condition for resale the next year. I will not set my phones down unless there is a padded surface such as a napkin, book or cloth.
I know I personally carry around what I call an iClothTM for any occasion when I want to set my phone down. I don't know what kind of spergs wouldn't have one and would be so crazy as to simply set their phone down on a pleb's table.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Still trying to get used to SwiftKey but it's severely slowed me down while I check it got my words right. Though I think what bugs me the most is that I can't hold down the keyboard button to get a list of all my keyboards. I can only tap it to go back to normal and then hold it for a list.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Unh Jesus loving Christ this thing feels amazing in my hand without a case. The case I bought feels really spongy on the power button (maybe a last minute redesign on the phone after Spigen has made their cases?) so I'm really close to just going nude for a while on it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

To add, I actually prefer Apple Maps to Google Maps after they unfucked it in iOS 7. I wonder how long Scott Forstall's unbelievable incompentence from iOS 6 will haunt Apple.
After a few years of avoiding Apple Maps like the plague, I'm tentatively giving it another shot as my default maps app. Don't let me down, Apple!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone had trouble with their iPhone 6 getting stuck on "Waiting for items to copy" when syncing with iTunes? It can be sitting there for over an hour with absolutely no progress and I just need to unplug and try again and again until it decides to copy over that one song I want to add.

edit: Urrrggghhh!! And now after spending hours syncing a few thousand songs to my phone, it's decided on my next sync to copy them ALL over again and I can no longer play them on my phone. Why would it do this?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 21, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I think it's an iTunes issue, as I had this exact problem trying to sync stuff to my 5 last week.
Did it eventually clear up the massive load of "Other" which was the music I've already synced?

I genuinely don't know how Apple can make one of the most wonderful to use mobile OSs and yet their iTunes (on Windows at least) development is a giant piece of garbage.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Snuffman posted:

I've just waited it out. :( It syncs eventually.
Well since I'd like my phone near me while I sleep, time to find out if they ever actually got wifi sync to work! (I'm gonna guess no, I'll wake up to an error of some sort)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's been several days and iTunes still doesn't want to put my music onto my iPhone 6. I'm half tempted now to just return it to Apple for a refund and go back to my 5. I was hoping a full reset and reinstall of my stuff would've been enough to make it work.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

dutchbstrd posted:

Nice. For reference they both look like this after 2 years.

Mine all went like that on the Lightning end but not the USB end. I had no idea that replacement was an option! Looks like I'll be bringing a bunch of cables with me next time I'm near an Apple store.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

flavor posted:

It's not a "hack" if your password is "123456", your wife's name or something of similar quality and then someone miraculously accesses your account, but that'll never become common knowledge.
On one hand, I don't want an invasion of privacy of the celebrities who took nude snaps to continue. On the other hand, I would love to know what they considered suitable passwords for storages services for their pics in the nip.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Did MobileMe actually do anything different to what iCloud is, though? I only start using Mac products in the last few years so I missed the boat on what it was.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone recommend a good very short or retractable Lightning to USB charging cable? The company I work for is going to be putting out USB power packs soon so I'm going to grab a really slim wallet sized one, so a cable that fits in my wallet would be equally handy for me.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a 4 inch Belkin cable that's well constructed and works flawlessly.
Any of my previous Belkin gadgets have been great, so I'll look this up - thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Though it would take a little longer for wooden cases to come out. Can't wait for them to hit the UK!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Maybe I didn't understand how the new photo stream thing works, but is it supposed to be that all photos are stored in full quality in iCloud, and only ones that I favourite on a device are stored offline?

I want to have a big library of holiday and pet photos in the cloud but there's only a handful that I'd really like to have without needing Internet access. How do I do this, and will folders I make on one device become the same folders on another or do I need to organise everything twice?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

smackfu posted:

That is how it is supposed to work but it was delayed and didn't actually ship with iOS 8. So it still works like it used to.
Ah ok. I'll hold off tidying my photo library until it's patched back in then.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the name of the other popular keyboard app, not swift key?
Swype?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My new phone basically had to be restored two or three times to get music to sync and not leave 40GB of "Other" as well as the music, which still wasn't playable.

iTunes is pretty bad.

Edit: in probably non-iTunes problems, songs I've bought directly on my phone and downloaded will sometimes disappear (I don't have Match) and I have to re download them. I need to test to see if this only happens between syncs with my PC. Some songs I've synced from my PC still aren't around due to broken syncing but I wouldn't expect purchased music to be disappearing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 29, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wdarkk posted:

I'm having music randomly erase itself from my iPhone. The playlist flashes through each song and then ends. If I look at it again I see this:

How can I make it stop doing that?
I had the same. I just kept syncing over and over and letting it find more songs as I tried playing them that weren't properly synced through iTunes and eventually it worked. Been a couple of days since I found a song that didn't sync, but this is iTunes so who knows how it'll gently caress up next!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone vouch for/against the RND lightning dock for using an iPhone 6 in a Spigen Neo Hybrid case?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RND-Certifi...phone+case+dock

I've got a fantastic Belkin dock but it's not compatible with cases that cover the area around the lightning port, so I have to remove my case every night. :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has anyone found that since updating the Apple Store app they've permanently got the outlined location arrow on their status bar?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's been like that since iOS 7 came out. It's using background services to look for Apple Store iBeacons. Just turn off its location priviledges or turn off iBeacon support in the app itself.
I can't remember denying access to it for my iPhone 5 on iOS 7, it definitely knew when I was near the only Apple Store in my country but that icon never came up. Weird. I guess I'll disable it since I rarely really need to go!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
This is now the 7th or 8th time iTunes has felt the need to sync my whole library back onto my iPhone 6 since I got it. I don't fancy having to go through more repeats of wiping my entire phone, getting everything back on there, having it good for a few days before iTunes re-syncs all my music again leaving me with 30GB of "other" where my music library used to be.

Is there any 3rd party music management stuff for iPhones that works reliably?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Duckman2008 posted:

Google play music? It won't be in the music app, but it's free and convenient cloud storage.
Does that need to be streamed? Quite often I'm in areas with little to no mobile data (plus I'm on a 2GB monthly contract) so it really needs to be stored locally. Plus having to pay £9.99 a month for the unrestricted stuff seems a bit much for something the phone should be doing as a base feature!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

oblongshrew posted:

CopyTrans has worked for me when iTunes is being temperamental and refusing to copy certain songs/audiobooks over.
I'll look into this, thanks! Can it be used as an iTunes replacement altogether?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

oblongshrew posted:

Yeah, for me it was a complete replacement up until I bought my iPhone 6 and iTunes started to behave itself :)
It's been the opposite for me - iTunes was a horribly slow but just about functional piece of software for my iPhone 4 and 5. My 6 is where it decides to poo poo the bed and delete all my phone's music every so often! :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

IUG posted:

Try to restore your phone, then restore from backup, then let it resync everything. I had some issues too, and this fixed it for me.
I've done this a few times already in the 2 weeks I've had the phone - I really need a more permanent fix. :smith:

edit: Outside of a restore, has anyone found a way to clear out the "Other" that contains a duplicate of the full music library?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

Was the phone synced with any other computer? Do any other phones sync with that computer? Maybe reinstall iTunes?
Nope, just this phone and just this PC. My iPad syncs too, but not the music. If it comes down to having to reinstall iTunes, how do I transfer the library, songs, apps+data, movies, etc to the fresh install?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On the topic of step tracking, do any apps have a notification center widget that will just tell me my step count for the day and my daily average and not take up loads of vertical space like those weather widgets being talked about in the iOS Apps thread? I find myself checking HealthKit a lot to see how many steps I've taken so far, so having that in the notification center would be awesome.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

serebralassazin posted:

Pedometer++ looks like this.

The red is kinda ugly but other than that, it's pretty much what I'm after - thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
A wipe and reinstall of iTunes, then attempting to restore an iPhone backup still fills it with >40GB of "Other". I've just tried restoring from an iCloud backup but it asked me for the password of some Apple ID tied to a Verizon email address (definitely not even a person from the same country as me!) that I don't recognise in the slightest.
Another attempt from an older backup asks for the password to another email address I don't recognise.

I just want my stuff back without over half my phone being unrecoverable garbage storage. :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

1997 posted:

Usually when you get unknown Apple ID prompts when restoring from backup, it's from some music that was pirated.
I'm not quite sure how that would work? I restored in iTunes with an 8.0.2 ipsw which I assume would totally wipe everything on the phone. Then I tried restoring from iCloud backups which wouldn't back up any of my music, and it hadn't had an iTunes music sync attempt at that stage.

Even if it had been syncing music, why would an mp3 file be able to change what iCloud account the settings restore wants to come from?

edit: Unrelated, but I hate how I lose all my Health data for every time I have to restore my phone.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Of all the HealthKit enabled fitness wristbands, which is the best (or is good and also cheap) for sleep tracking and waking me up at good periods of my sleep cycle? I don't really need to track steps any more accurately than the iPhone's built in tracker and heart rate tracking isn't a huge priority during exercise so I don't know if I need to go all out on a Jawbone UP24. I just want something that can help me with a good night's sleep and let me see that stuff later on in Health.

I know there's apps out there that can work stuff out based on keeping your phone under your pillow, but I like keeping my phone in a dock and wouldn't trust myself not to launch my phone out of the bed in my sleep, as I tend to find pillows all over the floor a lot when I wake up!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That seems like a really bizarre choice for them to not support HealthKit. I know the Jawbone app supports it at least.

I suppose I wouldn't be entirely averse to a "pillow" app if there's a good one that goons can recommend definitely helps with sleep?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

"Definitely" is a hard requirement to satisfy, but I still use Sleep Cycle and it's a very nice alarm clock. To avoid waking up with the phone on the floor I stuff my phone under the sheets.
I'll look into that, thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I see that Health has been having a guess at my sleeping time based on when I have it on charge overnight. I'm going to give MotionX 24/7 a go for sleep tracking, will it end up doubling-up on sleep data or will the app override the iOS-level estimate?

Also, anyone had trouble with MyFitnessPal not always updating calories or sometimes being very slow to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For those having problems with a lot of "Other" showing up after a failed music sync, use an app like iFunBox or iExplore and go to:
Raw File System -> iTunes_Control -> Music
Where you'll find a bunch of folders named F00, F01, F02, etc. which are full of audio files with randomised names.

I told iTunes to not sync my music, then after applying that change went inside each of those folders and deleted all of the contents (not the folders themselves) and hey presto - the "Other" data is now back to a normal size of ~1GB!

I'm currently resyncing my music hoping that this will be some sort of fix for the syncing issues (currently 600 out of 7000 in and going okay so far), but if nothing else hopefully someone will find use of being able to clear out some space on their phone.