Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Watched the first 3 seasons this week. This is the best trainwreck because it has no illusions of being reasonable. When everything is a crazy scheme nothing stands out as unbelievable. It's brilliant. I like it more than 24 and House of Cards. Even with OPA/Fitz's win-loss record rivaling Scooby and the gang, it never feels like they are protected out of plot necessity or fighting against idiots.

The only flaw in the show is that Fitz is completely unremarkable and there is no reason anyone should ever be drawn to him. I laugh every time someone claims Fitz is the best politician in America or in any way a great man. Maybe the guy just can't act. I know Fitz loves Olivia because he says it a lot. His own sham marriage is more believable.

Also Daniel Douglas' memorial said he died in 2013 and that's not an election year.

I hope there's a Gettysburger spinoff. A rib sandwich with pickles and secret sauce underneath called the Underground Railroad. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Season 2 is goddamn great top tier television. Last year ran off the rails, repeatedly. And this season is... hmm...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Season 2 is goddamn great top tier television. Last year ran off the rails, repeatedly. And this season is... hmm...

It's kind of a loving blast for me.

Like, honestly, I don't see myself whining about "haters" (at least out loud) because after the first two episodes I hit a wall with the show and I just let episodes pile up on my DVR. But with PSN down and me having to assemble a new filing cabinet, I had the perfect excuse to blast through them and was not disappointed.

But a lot of that is me. Frankly, I happen to love, for whatever reason, that the villain's master plot here would make Snidely Whiplash stand up and start a slow clap. And I also don't mind Olivia and Fitz pining for each other -- again, for whatever reason. I wish I had a better handle as to why.

But something I hope we can all agree on? That loving confrontation between Olivia and Rowan. drat.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm one of the few people who watch Scandal for the more political stuff - so I actually liked the gun control legislation episode earlier in the year.

The scene between Olivia and Rowan (with an assist from Stevie Wonder) is really drat great, but I found the endless circular nature of Rowan's plans infuriating. With Rowan, less is more. Last year's finale basically put all the pieces back in the box exactly when we started, including keeping Fitz in office.

A few oddities aside, I've quite liked this first half-season. I would've preferred them to keep Rowan in the background, but everyone acted in character and Olivia actually got to do things again.

Also, everything to do with Grieving!Mellie was top drawer material.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I can't be assed to go back and look, but wasn't there another "warrior" at OPA in the first few episodes of the series and the guy just mysteriously disappeared and was never heard from or mentioned again?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Retail Slave posted:

I can't be assed to go back and look, but wasn't there another "warrior" at OPA in the first few episodes of the series and the guy just mysteriously disappeared and was never heard from or mentioned again?

Yes, played by Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond Hume). I watched the first few episodes a couple weeks ago in introducing someone to the show and realized that I had completely forgot about his character's existence

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm so glad the show is back. Time to put on a white suit and drink red wine.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

uublog posted:

Yes, played by Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond Hume). I watched the first few episodes a couple weeks ago in introducing someone to the show and realized that I had completely forgot about his character's existence

If he didn't live in Vancouver now I'd say he should come back as the show needs someone else in the office.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Oh god poor Olivia... :gonk:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Please tell me someone else is watching this episode. :psyduck:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

Please tell me someone else is watching this episode. :psyduck:

This is horrifying.

EDIT: This Ian guy is totally the mastermind though.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 30, 2015

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

DivisionPost posted:

This is horrifying.

EDIT: This Ian guy is totally the mastermind though.

Totally. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

The VP set all this up, didn't he? This is some cold blooded poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Totally. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I don't think I'd even be mad. As smart as these guys are, an "inside man" would absolutely be a key page from their playbook.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

The VP set all this up, didn't he? This is some cold blooded poo poo.

You know, I know he was in bed with the RNC head but I don't remember what their exact plan was.

I'm becoming my father. :(

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, having the twist figured out definitely took some wind out of the reveal. But that moment where she headshotted that guard was DOPE.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Olivia kicking rear end was great, now we wait a week to find out more.

Loved Abby being the avatar of her mental doubt.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised Ian didn't unzip his human-mask to reveal he's one of the Lizard People. That is where this is all going, after all.

Also surprised Liv didn't see Ian coming. I thought for sure she was on to him.

I really liked the scene in the van where she susses the situation while absolutely terrified. Usually those scenes are played to keep the lead in smug control.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I called the whole Ian thing like after meeting him for 2 minutes and it kind of ruins the episode.

Also in what world does a kidnapping squad that's skilled enough to trick Jake, a superspy not know Oliva bangs Fitz?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I can't tell if that was the best episode of Scandal ever or if it was the worst. I'm not sure I liked some of the camera work/cuts they did but it was at least interesting. I didn't see the twist coming at the end but I'm also kind of confused. The dude is just a straight up kidnapper? And he's going to blackmail the president?

I also don't really remember what happened on the half-finale thing. I remember there being a tense confrontation between Jake and Rowan but then I don't remember what happened

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I called the whole Ian thing like after meeting him for 2 minutes and it kind of ruins the episode.

Also in what world does a kidnapping squad that's skilled enough to trick Jake, a superspy not know Oliva bangs Fitz?

I thought the only ones who knew were Mellie, certain SS dudes, Cyrus, Jake, and her dad?

Everyone else thinks he only slept with that one girl who got a book deal.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:drat: Olivia, way to take control.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
First two minutes of this week's episode and I'm already like :tviv: :munch:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Did this show full tea party Coup fantasy, or is it just me.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Sounds like a deal :commissar:

:tviv: :derp::derp::derp:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yeah, Daddy Pope is the buyer.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm all for President Mellie Grant.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love that Huck is sitting on $2+ billion and just never mentioned it or took advantage of it until now, that's such a Huck thing to do.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Mellie/Cyrus 2016

It's got to be Pope Daddy, or somehow Pope Mommy who managed to escape by using the TV remote, or this is when they FINALLY introduce the Lizard People!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Its Papa Pope and they telegraphed from miles away.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Even bigger twist: it's Harrison

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Former VP Langston.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Its Steven as the point man for the in universe Kock brothers.

The fact he got named dropped means he's coming back.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

What the I mean I just dlkgvsjhdg;sadflg;awelirjhzs.lfdgujaw;eptrjhiasf.lgjhsdf.lgkhd fg :psyboom:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'd forgotten he existed.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rowan telling everyone to gently caress off was the best.
She couldn't survive 1 week!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
So happy for Olivia to end this loving abysmal affair with the President.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Desmond out of left field!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Desmond out of left field!

I hope we see more of Desmond. Henry Ian Cusick is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

aBagorn posted:

I hope we see more of Desmond. Henry Ian Cusick is awesome.

You should watch the 100 on CW then. He's on the main cast.

• Locked thread