Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Strings Chart
NPC List

Another day in Sirocco, same as the last. Depending on where you wake up, the city reeks of damp, or if you’re unlucky, sewage from the backed-up system. Rats and seagulls infest the buildings, particularly those near the beachfront, scavenging for any scraps they can find, while in the distant Dry Quarter, the indistinct sound of a PA announcement heralds that there’ll be a ration run coming soon - medicine and the like.

Of perhaps more pressing concern, in every flooded neighbourhood there is new graffiti. Normally this wouldn’t be a concern - all the gangs mark their ever-shifting territory with crude little spray-painted signs and slogans like RUSHER TERRITORY - STAY OUT! But this new graffiti is… rather different. It reads ‘Anniversary coming up soon. Make everyone remember.’ and is signed with this weird symbol, like an upside down Y with an eye in the fork. Is this a new gang, or some creepy cult, and how the heck did they spread this graffiti over such a wide area overnight?

Aside from that, business as usual in this decaying city.

Everyone: How do you react to this new, ominous graffiti-message?

Grace: You encountered some trouble, last night. Some unpleasant encounter that escalated into violence. What happened?

There’s something you had to get from Moe, and he asked a favour in return, in lieu of money. What was it?

Seth: Uncle Silas isn’t happy with you, not at all. What’ve you done to piss old short-fangs off?

Some vapid warm-blooded girl seems to be attracted to you, and does own some mostly-dry property in the Old Town. How do you handle her?

Euphemia: The Lord gave you a vision last night, of something you must do. What was it?

Speaking of which, Jeremy isn’t a true believer yet, but you know it would please the Lord if he were to become one. What have you done on that front so far?

Cassie: So some lady got ahold of your pelt, and has asked you to find the source of a spring, and a woman with a blue dress. Have you started that? If not, why not? If yes, what have you done so far?

That aside, how much does not having your pelt impact your day to day life in Sirocco?

Eve: What’s the first order of business for your gang now that a ration drop is imminent? While most of the people likely to go pick things up will hoard it for themselves, there are always some who’ll give, or sell, to the various gangs of Sirocco, and anything you get is something the Rushers or Brickers do not, right?

Bradley Thomas and his ‘family’ - mostly prepubescent orphans, have asked for sanctuary with your gang - for protection, that is, they have no intention of trying Lyssa. Have you accepted? Did you ask anything in return?

Natalia: With the appearance of Seth, things have gotten more complicated. What’s the first step in dealing with this new complication?

While your influence doesn’t extend far from the Parnassus, it is still a place of safety and luxury amidst Sirocco. Who has asked for shelter there, and did you allow it?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

quote:

Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead.

Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass.

If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Smiting
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to your lash out physically roll and add 1 harm to any harm dealt.

Gaze Into Heaven
When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of the lord, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. • On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.

When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what the lord fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. • On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered the lord.

Sex Move
When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose here on earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self
You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and indepedence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

Grace Walker
Hot: 0; Cold: 0; Volatile: 1; Trespass: 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 :Forgiveness
Harm: 0/4; Exp: 1/5 (0); Conditions: --

No good deed goes unpunished, you know? I've been told I'm too skittish about commitment, and maybe that's true. At any rate, I've been kind of cycling through the various aid and relief groups who accept youth volunteers ever since I got here, never really sticking with one longterm. Lately, I've been at Open Hearts. They do good work, if they're a little ham handed sometimes, and, uh... Meg can't go there, since they only provide services to minors. So, that's a bit of a welcome relief. She's stopped declaring me in angel in public, but that knowing little gleam in her eyes when she looks at me, and the pointed questions make me nervous.

Anyway -- Open Hearts. It's getting pretty late at night, and I'm almost done my shift. Suddenly, this kid bursts in, crying and cradling his arm. It looks broken, so of course we all just kind of scramble to get the first aid kit and try to help him. Thank goodness Elaine was still around -- she used to be an EMT, back when the city could actually maintain emergency services anywhere outside the Dry Quarter. So, she's trying her best to get him patched up -- he could have been more than 14! -- when suddenly someone else bursts in, and I know him.

Tommy McNulty. Big, burly, pushing 19 years old. Over the past couple years I've watched him turn from a bit of a bully to a full blown street thug. And now he has apparently chased this kid in here, brandishing a baseball bat and screaming at the kid to 'give me the flipping money!' (except he didn't say 'flipping'). I didn't know what money this was, and I didn't particularly care -- I'm not letting this happen where I can stop it, especially not there. I can't really blame him for not taking me seriously. I mean, he probably has more than 100 pounds on me, and I don't think we've ever had a physical confrontation before. I know I don't look like much. So I expected him to maybe shove me aside when I got between them and told him to get out. What I didn't expect was for McNulty to bring the bat up and take a swing at my head.

I could have ducked, or restrained him, or caught the bat somehow. I, I should have been able to. I didn't, though -- I saw it coming down, and my old training took over. In a few seconds, I'd grabbed the bat from him, smashed the handle into his nose, and kicked his leg out from under him. And so there I was, in the middle of the youth center, standing over this idiot holding a bat while he stares up at me all wide-eyed and bloody-nosed, and behind me there's just dead silence. Even the kid's stopped crying long enough to gape.

Things de-escalated after that. Tommy scurried off with his tail between his legs -- there might be some trouble with that, if he's actually managed to hook up with a gang. He was always kind of a hanger-on with the Rushers, and if this was some kind of messed up initiation I got myself mixed up in, they could be angry. Elaine and the other Open Hearts staff didn't really say anything, but they were looking at me a little strangely. Like, they were reevaluating what they thought of me. Not just some nice, helpful girl who likes to pitch in where I can. It doesn't take an expert to tell I knew what I was doing when I took down Tommy.

--

Right now? I'm standing in one of the dryer streets in Beachfront, near where it starts to melt into Downtown. I come this way every morning I wake up in my apartment; it requires the least amount of clambering over rooftops and fire escapes. There's something very different about it this morning, though. There's always fresh graffiti along the way, but... this particular tag is something entirely new, and it's everywhere. And that message is pretty worrisome too, whether it's just some fledgling gang or something more... sinister. I frown at the symbol, which is staring back at me from the wall of the abandoned drug store it's painted on sort of disconcertingly. Is that profane? Cautiously, I reach out a hand, and place it flat against the paint-stained brick, as if it might impart some sort of clue onto me. With a bit of a scowl forming over my face, I find myself looking up at the sky. He'd know if this were some demon cult or something nasty like that.

"Come on, if you won't lift a finger, at least help me figure this out," I mutter. "That shouldn't be too much to ask." What does this mark mean?

Gaze Into Heaven as a spurious and spiteful child: 2d6=7. Let's go with "the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered the Lord." Should theoretically still answer the question though, I guess.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 13, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Euphemia Carson, The Infernal
Hot 0, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: None

I rise with a small groan, and make my way over to the window as I dress, peering blearily out into the morning sun. Jeremy... He's been my experiment with long term investment. I haven't forced him into anything, just taking the chance to speak to him about his salvation and the power that comes with god's blessing whenever he takes shelter in the church. Last night, he was beat up pretty badly, so I demonstrated my healing on him. He seemed more convinced than usual, and I told him the next time he came, I'd let him taste the true power of the lord. I'll be surprised if he doesn't turn up tonight.

Stretching, I make my way down the stairs of my church, my mind drifting back to the vision sent to my dreams last night after Jeremy left. A muddy pasture filled with cows, all plump with fat. Then, after three days, they begin to grow skinny and sickly, many dying. The message seems clear, a sickness is coming, and the medicine drop needs to be secured. I'll need to stockpile or destroy as much of it as I can, so people will have to turn to me, and god. Making sure to lock every door behind me, I head out into the world. So far no one has been stupid enough to attack the church, but you can never be too careful.

As if to drive that point home, the walls of the church have been hit with the same graffiti as the rest of the block seems to have been. It gets hit once in a while by taggers, but less often than other buildings. I frown, moving closer to investigate. The sign isn't one I recognize, and after glancing down to look at the next block over, it looks like it got hit as well. Is a new gang in town? I wouldn't be too worried, but to hit such an area in so little time means they have to be organized, and organization means a threat.

After taking one last look at the nearest patch of graffiti, I lower my head slightly and close my eyes in a brief prayer. Who made this sign, and what do they want? How shall I deal with them for you?

Gazing into the Abyss: Visions are confusing and alarming
[20:26] <godfish> !r 2d6+1
[20:26] <Krysmbot> godfish, 7+1 = 8

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

quote:

Casiguaya Cerulean, The Selkie

Look: Unforgettable, deep eyes
Origin: Breaking the rules about land-dwelling

Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Moves

Outer Skin
When you wear your pelt you look like a seal. Without it, you can swim like a human, but with it you can breathe underwater and swim like the dickens, and, if you want to, return to The Deep Kingdom. If you do return there, it’s for good, so make a new character.

Their World
People can steal your pelt, but never destroy it. When someone withholds your pelt and demands that you do something for them before they’ll give it back, add 1 to rolls you make in pursuit of that task. If they don’t return your pelt, take a String on them, and they'll give you another task.

Ocean's Breath
When you feel homesick, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one for the MC to detail:
- the ocean brings forth something that it thinks will make you feel better,
- the ocean takes away something that it thinks is bothering you.
On a 7-9, choose as above, but the ocean doesn’t understand the human world very well and causes serious or unexplainable damage in the process.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else they’ve had sex with.

Darkest Self
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. It’s time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your identity stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Casiguaya “Cassie” Cerulean
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions:

And so begins another day in the ruins. Wake up, feed the inmates, then head out to see about feeding myself. That last part would be way easier if I had my pelt, of course, but I've learned to adapt. This kinda happens more often than I'd care to admit. I really need to get something with a working lock on it one of these days. Still, I wish I didn't feel so naked and vulnerable without it; I guess some things you just don't get used to.

Still, I wish that mean lady who took could give me a reasonable job. How the hell am I supposed to find the source of a random spring? Well it would be a hell of a lot easier if I had my drat pelt, that's for sure. I've been wandering around the city for five days now with no clue where to even start, and annoyed more than one stranger wearing a blue jacket. I mean seriously, could you be any more vague.

And now some weirdos have painted more nonsense all over the place. Anniversary? Well I've never seen that symbol before, so they clearly have nothing to do with Dad. So it's just a bunch of kooks spouting crazy stuff, and what else is new. Best to just ignore them.

Now I'm walking down the street into the strangely named Beachfront district. Maybe it made more sense before the flooding. I'm taking this street because I've seen that girl Grace down here in the mornings before, and she is just, like, the absolute hottest. Hopefully I'll see her today, too.

But what's that, at the intersection where the road drops off into a foot and a half of water. Is that a school of anchovies? Wow, you don't see that this deep in the city very often. “Hey guys,” I say, crouching on the ledge above them, “What are you doing all the way out here?” Hey, maybe this is my chance. “Say, you guys wouldn't happen to know anything about the source of a spring with a lady in blue, would you?”

Gaze into the Abyss 2d6+1=9 with an extra +1 from Their World. Gimme them lucid and helpful fish visions.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine
Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4; Exp 0/5; Conditions: NONE

The two are related, actually.

You see, I'm supposed to check in with the family face-to-face every two weeks. Silas was very particular on this point, since finding a suitable location was -apparently- something of a chore. So there's this abandoned gas station way up the coastline - he can swim under the waves and avoid notice and slither in through a broken gas storage container that was underground, once.

Oh, right. You asked about Leah. Her father, before his unfortunate death in the deluge that broke this poor little burg, owned a three-story hotel, the kind suitable for tourists back when they had a reason to come here. Aside from celebrating their own good fortune comparable to the current residents, I suppose. I met her while giving the Old Town a look-around, and as you say, she was quite taken with me. I may have my apparently good looks, and have practiced what to say to get the effect I want, but I think my ready supply of cigarettes was what entranced her the most. Due to possessing all the various keys, she is very much in control of the area, and takes a small tax on those who stay there.

Nonetheless, I recognized a target when I saw one, and decided to chat with her for a while. Slip little hints about getting paid for her father's place and leaving - maybe even with my accompaniment - ha ha. I lost track of time, though. Missed my other little appointment altogether. When I realized my mistake, I gracefully broke it off and quickly returned to the meeting point, but by that point, I'd already missed him. I was going to tell him about this strange graffiti that's cropped up. I think the mysterious nature of it could serve his purpose: scared people sell earlier.

He left a note. Apparently, if I "ignore" him again, I'm coming back home.

Yeah, right. He'd have to find me first. Right now, I'm heading for the dinner bell. One can only scrounge so much.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 13, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Natalia Del Rey, Mummy

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

What a clever idea, enticing the legion to act out. Too bad I didn't think of it.

Actually, if anyone asks, I absolutely thought of it.

Here's my plan of attack: whoever's making these signs wants to see a reaction from the populace. They want to ever so briefly control their behavior. I want to do that, only forever. So, if I say I'm the source of the graffiti, eventually the true culprit will reveal themselves and try to silence me, at which point we will engage in negotiations. They will soon answer to me as a senator of this gods-forsaken town. They'll spread my will instead of some anarchist prank, and we'll be all the happier for it.

Perhaps it's that money-grubbing Seth character, the one who's trying to squat his way to the bank. That would be bad for my next step. You see, he's a territorial sort from what I've heard of him. Trying to pull the rug out from under the ne'er-do-wells and locking them out of their own homes. Well, he won't be able to do that if the propaganda points back to me. Once I'm in contact with the "artiste," I'll work out a plan to find out where Seth's been in contact and see to having those particular squatters finding a penance of mine for their occupation. "Lock your doors, because it's going to be a rough night," or something. Encourage those who set up camp to continue uninhibited. It goes against my master plan, of course, but perhaps I'll get to meet with Seth once I'm "found out" and we can discuss terms for coexistence.

Speaking of which, I recently let in a Mr. Gabriel, him becoming the third tenant of Parnassus since I began my recruitment drive. He's the "long tall and handsome" sort with a babe's lips and sympathetic eyes. He was trying to escape the chaos on the streets, and with a face like that I couldn't blame him. He's strong, but with enough passion to know the difference between an obligation and a cause. Namely, a cause is what I offer, where gangs force upon their members life-or-death obligations. Gabriel sees this, and for that he is wise enough to join my ranks.

We walk together in the streets of the beachfront district (in which Parnassus is located, raised up above the new tideline for a quite splendid view of the ocean) musing on the thug's life and its misfortunes. If I see anyone I'll tell them about the "anniversary" and hint at my involvement. I'd like to start the fire before nightfall, while I can still see what lurks in the shadows.

quote:

Empress Anat Alanis Delphine Sirocco

Skin: The Mummy
Look: Old-fashioned, heavily made-up eyes
Origin: Watery grave

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Mummy's Curse
When anyone inflicts at least 1 harm on you, give them the condition Fungal Rot.

Soulmate
The one you loved the most in ancient times has been reincarnated. Choose someone to be your soulmate. You and your soulmate get +1 ongoing to all rolls against one another, and any strings you gain on one another are doubled. You can spend a string on your soulmate to enter any scene they are in.

Sex Move
When you allow someone the privilege of lying with you, take a string on them. They carry 1 forward toward any action they take that is intended to benefit you, and take a -1 penalty to the next action they take that is intended to work against you. If they are your soulmate, mark experience.

Darkest Self
You have been patient for longer than some civilizations have existed, and now your patience is exhausted. No more planning, no more manipulating, no more waiting. You know what you want, so take it. Claim the riches that are your birthright. Eliminate rivals who covet your position. If you have a soulmate, pursue them relentlessly. You are an unstoppable, implacable force, and you can only escape your Darkest Self when you achieve at least one of your goals or someone else manages to force you into submission.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Eve, The Queen posted:

Look: Stunning, murky eyes
Origin: Source of the infection

Hot 1, Cold 1, Volatile 0, Dark -1

The Clique: You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. They’re connected (with money good food and designer drugs)

Streaming: You have a telepathic connection with your gang members. You can always hear their emotions and fears. When you try to hear specific thoughts, gaze into the abyss about it and add 1 to your roll.

Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition One of Them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self: They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Eve, The Queen

It's still early, but I can never really sleep all that well on rations day. It’s become a bit of an issue, with all the food being scrounged out. We need a source of food worth eating, even if it ain’t happening every day. While we can move things around to trade for this stuff, getting a handful of us over there to pick things up legitimately will be a nice little payoff for us. Not lookin’ for a fight, of course, but given everything that’s been going on, including that new piece of graffiti that don’t look like anything the Rushers or the Brickers would do, I’m plannin’ for the worst. Hell, I wouldn’t even be ballsy enough if we was planning anything big enough to be worth remembering. Just, don’t bring your weapons if there’s any government around, and we’ll be cool.

Came to an agreement with some refugees, led by some guy named Bradley. Said they wanted in, and I told ‘em the ground rules. They were big on not trying Lyssa, but given the drop coming up, sayin’ we got more people under my roof might help me talk things into a better amount of food to pick up. But yeah, they share what they got in terms of food and skills, and they help keep this place runnin’. Not gonna make the little ones do too much, but we gotta teach ‘em how to be useful. Not like those freaks out there are gonna go easy on ‘em just because they’re little. Still, tryin’ not to get too close, we got our own little ones that ain’t up on the Lyssa stuff, but they believe in what we’re here for. Don’t wanna try and make

I roll out of bed, fully dressed and ready to deal with getting people up and ready for food. Given that we got more than our usual lot, food’s gonna be a little tight, but with Bradley’s refugees givin’ us more to feed, we also got someone who could cook. Amy and Will, two teenage sorts, used to be kids of a chef or somethin’. With them over the hotplates, we’re been getting good mileage outta our food without too much trouble. Payin’ for themselves is all I ask of their sort.

Plus, given that most of the group is barely old enough to fend for themselves, I’m not gonna push anything on them. This whole thing’s about choice, not like I’m makin’ cash hand over fist or nothin’ on Lyssa. It’s an experience, not somethin’ you hustle onto anyone for money. Plus, I gotta sit down and refill the supplies anyways. It’s a tough job, but if I wanna be the one leadin’ this, I’ve gotta make some sacrifices.

I wait for the familiar sound of the bells. The House of Fire’s breakfast call is the old alarm system. Sounds like poo poo now, but Rig got them back up and back together. After food, I’m grabbing the big and strong of the crew and pickin’ up our share of the rations. Hopefully we’ll be fine, but hopin’ ain’t nothin’ by itself.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Grace:
God is disappointed because you failed to trust in him, and His Plan for the world. By interfering, you may have made things better for some, but how many may suffer in the long term, trusting in a saviour that is not omnipotent, becoming lax and complacent? How many may stray from the path, if even one of His Angels ignores His will?

Still, despite His disappointment, He wants what's best for you, and the people of this city, and so shows you an answer. The mark is of a cult, descended through the ages from one of the innumerable pagan faiths of the world, distilled into a modern, and malevolent context. It is one of many, just waiting for its chance to prey upon the weak. More importantly, the mark is a challenge, openly stating they plan to move soon, daring anyone to stop them.
Now, what do you do?

Euphemia:
Pillars of salt, Firestorms, Rivers of Blood... Images of the Lord's wrath sweep through your mind, as swiftly and intensely as his desire for Justice to be meted out upon those that would profane this city. Or are those images of what they plan, in some cruel mockery of the Lord's justice? Regardless, the Lord's will is clear - they must be found, and made penitent. Now, what do you do?

Casiguaya:
Fish are always friendly, if a bit simple-minded. They're usually a delight to talk to, assuming you can talk to them, which surface-dwellers can't, and this school of anchovies is no different. They're exploring, and also kind of trapped - a fishing vessel just outside the city scared them in, and they can't find a way out! As for the spring, they did feel freshwater, bubbling through cracks in a sunken building, with rotting wooden models of fish and sharks and mermaids. That sounds familiar, you remember seeing a concert hall like that once, somewhere in the Beachfront... but it was occupied by a rather unfriendly group of squatters. Now, what do you do?

Seth:
There are plenty of places to have breakfast in Sirocco. Leah's sure to be offering something at the hotel, and there's places that offer cheap coffee and greasy food all around the city, but the best place to be is at the Atlantis Mall and its food court. Built on a raised section, the mall is dry, an island in the southern parts of Downtown, and is a semi-official meeting place for those who, for whatever reason, don't like to congregate in the government-administrated parts of town. When news involving Sirocco is discovered, it inevitably finds its way here. Plus, even a flood hasn't stopped the KFC outlet here from procuring its stock of processed and deep-fried chicken. The owner of this KFC joint, Jamie, is quite friendly with his repeat customer, and breakfast is procured easily enough. Now what do you do?

Natalia:
Reactions to your hints are mixed - some angry, some scared, some who are even indifferent, and just assume it's nothing major. It's guaranteed that word will spread, however, and quickly - everyone who's everyone likes to keep on top of every new development in this city. Now what do you do?

Eve:
There's already trouble at breakfast - Bart hazing Bradley. He might be good at making deals, but Bart's got a cruel streak a mile wide, and has already found a target outside of the established hierarchy. It's too far away to make out what exactly he's saying, but from the crooked grin he's wearing, and the beat-down expression on Bradley's face, it's nothing good. What do you do?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker

I let out a long, frustrated breath. I could really have gone without the guilt trip. Trusting in an omnipotent savior doesn't really help you much if they can't actually be bothered to save anyone. I shove both hands in the pockets of my jacket, and try to ignore the unmistakable twinge of guilt twisting in my stomach. It isn't important. And while I've gotten a bit more skeptical of the stance on 'pagans' Upstairs since coming down here, I'm willing to bet that whatever this particular group was planning, it wouldn't be pleasant. I was going to need to find out more if I wanted to put a stop to it before they caused any real damage.

I continue on my way, hands in my pocket, hand down, lost in thought... and very nearly trip over the girl who is crouched down by the side of the road. She doesn't see me coming, because she is lost in a one-sided conversation. With a pool of water. Okay.

"Oh, uh, good morning," I say, because I need to say something, right? Her name is Cassie, I think. I've seen her around, spoken with her before, even if I wouldn't say I know her super well. Previous, she'd struck me as a little odd, but not... talking-to-nothing odd. "Who are you talking to?" I can't help but add.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

“Thanks a bunch, guys. And don't worry, I'll keep an eye out for that boat and let you know if the coast is clear.” I snigger at myself. That was awful, and totally unintentional. The fish probably don't get it, though.

Huh? “Oh, good morning.” Oh poo poo, it's her. “I, uh, was just... talking... to the fish.” Humans do that, right? I hope didn't just totally blow any chance I had. Quick, change the subject. “Hey, are you busy? I'm kinda looking for someone, and I heard they might be at this flooded concert hall with a bunch of wooden fish. You know the place? Well the problem is last time I was there there were a bunch of scary people living there. But you're really tough, right? I would sure feel a lot safer if someone like you came with me.”

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: None

Grimacing, I spit on the ground in front of one of the signs, then head off back towards the dry quarter. The visions made his will quite clear, but he didn't bother to show me where or how to find them, so he must want me to figure that out on my own. Anyone who'd go to the efforts to pull this off would bound to take credit for it, if only to show off their might. All I'll have to do is wait to hear whose claiming it was their work, then take them out. Obviously, other people might claim to behind it as well, so I'll have to eliminate them as well, just to be sure.

If I haven't got any leads by tonight, I'll ask for further instructions. In the mean time, I want to get in place for the supply drop before it arrives. My only real options are either to grab as much medicine as I can from the drop, or ambush a few people as they leave to get their supply. Either way, I should be in visual distance, so I can mark any group getting theirs for later visits.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker

Talking to fish. Right.

"So... you're looking for someone who lives with a bunch of angry scary people?" I ask, a little confuse at the sudden request. "Are they in trouble? Are these people hurting them or something like that?" I don't know how to feel about my picking up a reputation for being 'tough'. I mean, in the literal sense, I guess -- I was trained as a soldier in the armies of heaven. Not to mention what I did before I died (I try not to). And I guess it can't be helped, if I'm going to go around beating up two bit thugs like McNulty. But... it's not really the sort of reputation I've been cultivating, I guess.

Still, though, I give Cassie a quick once-over. Yeah, not really the kind of person I want to see facing off against a gang of 'angry scary people' on her own, that's for sure. Frowning, tuck a stray lock of hair behind the arm of my glasses. "Okay, I guess I can't let you go off alone like that," I admit. "Who are these people, though? Anyone I'd know?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Well the person I'm working for is pretty scary herself. But that's a long story; easier to just do what she says and get it over with. So thank you. Thank you soooo much.” I almost go to hug her, but stop myself. Come on girl, gotta play it cool. Don't come on too strong. Ahem. “Anyway, I just have to check the place out and see if she's there, that's all. I think it was this way, right?”

Let us away to the place of the wooden mermaids.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Cassie + Grace:
The 'Pearl Concert Hall' is easy enough to find, and the evidence of habitation is immediately recognizable, from the sounds within. Sounds like an argument has already riled these folks up! What do you do?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker
Harm: 0/4; Exp: 2/5 (0); Conditions: --

The person she was working for? Well, that sure was worrisome. It might have been possible that Cassie was going to need my help for more than just this one problem, if someone really nasty actually had her over a barrel. I make a point to ask her after this was over. Let her know that there were alternatives to just doing what she was told.

As we approach the place in question -- the old concert hall, it turns out -- I hold up a hand to indicate we should stop before going through the entrance. "Alright, let's take this nice and slow," I say, whispering low and seriously, still trying to project confidence. "There's some kind of argument going on in there -- we don't want to go barging in on goodness-knows-what kind of trouble without getting an idea of what the situation is, let's try to listen in a bit first."

Turn on Cassie by coming across as cool and in control of the situation: 2d6=3 Oh dear, bad things are about to happen aren't they.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Grace and Cassie:
As you patiently wait, the argument explodes into violence. By sheer bad luck, when one of the fighters inside throws a brick, it misses its target, smashes through a window, and collides with the side of Grace's head.

Take 1 Harm

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 14, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine
Harm 0/4; Exp 1/5; Conditions: NONE

Jamie's a good sort: there's an order of the grilled chicken (no sides) in my hands shortly after I walk in. Got to do something about money - my missed meeting with Silas means I'm out two weeks' worth of cash. After taking a overly long time to enjoy my meal and listen for news, I guess it's time I take advantage of the drop. Medicine and non-meat foodstuffs are all but worthless to me, but they make for good trade and gifts of goodwill. A quality lie about being responsible for a large, parent-less family should do the trick.

[11:18] Jolinaxas Manipulating NPCs
[11:18] Jolinaxas !r 2d6+2
[11:18] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 10+2 = 12
I've given them a motive, I think. Marking xp.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions:

Holding Steady 2d6+3=6. Or not. :(

“Ohmygod,” I rush to her side, forgetting about everything else, “Are you okay? I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I-” I can't stop shaking. Oh god, why did it have to be here.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Seth:
The underpaid and overworked civil servant in charge of this station is taken in easily enough by your lie, and you get just about anything you ask for. While you wait for it all to be tallied, you hear an interesting rumour, about that rich lady... what's her name, Natalie? She seems to know something about this silly graffiti that's getting so many warm-bloods worked up.

Cassie:
Take the condition 'Shaken', it's /your/ fault the girl you have a crush on got hurt!

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker
Harm: 1/4; Exp: 2/5 (0); Conditions: --

Ow! I stagger under the weight of the blow, and my vision explodes into stars. It takes a few seconds at least before they clear away enough to tell what hit me, or to really hear what Cassie's trying to ask me. "I'm... I'm okay," I groan, gingerly touching the side of my head as I slump a bit against the side of the building. My hand comes away with a bit of blood, but I'm not bleeding too badly. And it's not going to be in my eyes, at least. So that's good, assuming I don't die of a concussion later. And it would have to be later -- there wasn't any time to die right at the moment. A brick, though. Was that a coincidence, or were we in Bricker territory?

"I'll be fine," I say, a little more certainly, and manage a reassuring smile for her, even if doing that hurts like heck. "Okay, let's try not to stand directly in front of any windows from now on," I add, motioning Cassie to the side. I swing my backpack off of the shoulder it was slung over, and produce a small and slightly battered pocket mirror. Still slumping up against the wall beside the window, I hold the mirror up so that it will give me a view of whatever's inside. "What does this friend of yours look like?" I ask.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Eve, The Queen

I sigh as I watch Bart's antics from afar. Part of me would love to just try and knock him out, now's not the time for that sort of poo poo. There's important stuff going on, and part of it depends on us having Bradley's band of merry orphans in our walls. I walk over towards the two of them, leveling my eyes over at Bart while he continues his barrage. I dodge a few wild kids running by, but I'm used to the chaos that was breakfast. Especially without any food yet myself.

"Hey, Bart. Bradley. How are things over here? I hope he's not giving you too much of a problem, is he?" I smirk, my eyes not leaving Bart as I speak. Hopefully, he'll get the point. If he doesn't, we could always do this in ways I'd rather not, especially on a day like today.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

I take all that I can carry, offering the civil servant profuse thanks and figuring out how I'm not going to be assaulted for what I hold. I can fit most of it in my backpack, but I've got to carry a large bag in one hand.

Where to, next? Well, I hear whispers about this Natalie. She's described as rich. She knows about the graffiti. Asking around about her in the area should lead me to her fairly quickly.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Shaken

I am all too happy to crouch down away from the window. Oh god, she's bleeding. “Sh-she has black hair and sh-should be wearing blue. That's a-all I know.”

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Dark Power Strings 1/5 | Conditions: None

From my position, I can see the guy... Seth I think, talking to one of the ladies manning the station, then walking away with what looks like enough medicine to treat several large families. Interesting.

Come to think of it, I might as well try to sweet talk my way into getting some for my own. I get up and head over to one of the stands (not the one Seth just cleaned out though), picking my target carefully. This one has a crucifix around her neck, and looks like the kind of old lady that goes to churches everywhere.

As I approach, I let out a few fake coughs, and explain to her that all of my siblings were ill, but out of the four of us, only I was well enough to come to the drop site. At the same time, I let the holy power welling up inside of me leak out ever so faintly to give the lady the impression of saintliness about me.

Manipulate NPC, giving the Dark Power a string to add 2 to the roll
[17:06] <godfish> !r 2d6+2
[17:06] <Krysmbot> godfish, 6+2 = 8

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Grace+Cassie:
There doesn't appear to be anyone dressed like that in the building, from what you can see in the mirror, but you can see a couple of men and woman arguing, one of the men nursing a bloody, broken nose, and one of the women holding another brick - a pile of them lying behind her. She's in tears, screaming about how she trusted them, and then they got 'that woman in the basement' and they're keeping secrets and blah blah blah it's rather muddled and emotional.

Euphemia:
"Of course, dear, of course..." She makes a few quick notes on some form on her clipboard, then hands it over with a pen. "Just put down your name and residence, so we can come check up on you, okay?"

She wants your address, which may lead to unwelcome visitors at the church in the future.

Eve:
Bradley looks about ready to say something, but Bart cuts him off. "No problems, no." Bart smiles nervously. "Just showing the new guy the ropes, making sure he meets your standards, y'know..." He does this often, testing how far he can go without going too far.

Seth:
Most of the people here are from Downtown, and know of Natalie, but not where she lives, beyond 'some fancy place in the Beachfront'. But not far away, collecting supplies for herself, you can see that crazy lady from the church, the one who thinks 'God' speaks to her. She has a finger on the pulse of most strange things happening in this city - you wouldn't be surprised if she had something to do with this cultish graffiti, too.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Some fancy place on the Beachfront?" Such vagueness simply will not do. In fact, one could say a fair portion of the city is beachfront now. Maybe I can narrow my search down a little.

Little Miss Prophetess doesn't appear to be doing well at the drop-offs. Maybe I can obtain this woman's location from her for the price of some useless supplies. I take up a position in the way of her exit (or, at least, what I surmise is her exit), and take a bottle of aspirin from the bag, tossing it in the air idly as I wait for her to finish up.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I'd rather not have people check up on me... hmm. Having my own name down might lead to trouble... After a brief moments thought, I scribble down Sandra's name and old address. Amazing how some little things stick in your memory. To distract myself from more thoughts of Sandra, I load up on all the supplies the lady is willing to give me, then make my way out.

And see Seth -yeah, its definitely Seth- waiting for me at the exit. How kind of him to not even make me bother having to track down his base to get them later. As I make my way up to him, I flash him a quick grin. "Hey,"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Good morning, Euphemia. Well, I'm having a good one, at any rate. And I'm certain I'm about to make yours just a little bit better."

I kneel down to slowly roll the bottle to her - the uneven distribution of weight makes its progress down the street a little odd to watch, but it ends up close enough to its mark.

"A gift. Do you have a moment? I've heard some very interesting things of late. Seen some, as well. Like that new graffiti..."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I stop a few feet away from him curious, then give him another smile as he rolls a bottle towards me. Picking it up, I glance briefly up the neck, and see that the seal looks in place. I'll have to do a more thorough check later, but I'll take the gesture at face value for now.

"You have my thanks," I move to approach him again, though I'll stop at any sign from him to do so. People can be jumpy when loaded up with so much loot, "and a moment as well. Let's move away from here though, plenty of people would be interesting to taking what we have." At his mention of the graffiti, I turn my head and spit off to the side, grimacing. "Blasphemy."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

An aside, if I may: the hardest obstacle I first encountered when attempting to pass as a human was their diminished area of what is considered "personal space." In a culture as treacherous as my own, slithering within a few yards of someone can incite serious defensive action. Letting others get close to you is a sign of tender affection. Or great weakness.

Still, I think it would please her to think that I trust her, and so I close the gap, walking almost alongside her, and motion to a nearby bus-stop bench.

"Any time. I hear there's a woman - or girl, perhaps - who knows about it - the blasphemous graffiti, that is. Natalie, or something like that. They say she lives in a fancy place in the Beachfront area. Do you know of her?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

As we close the distance with each other, I unzip my bag just enough to slip the bottle inside, then shut it again, keeping it on the side away from him. Can't be too careful with stuff like this. "Her!? Ha, I didn't think she had it in her." If she's managed to get into such a good position this quickly, she was more trouble than I thought. Good thing I never took care of that gang for her. Hmm. Might be worth taking a look at again.

"Yeah, I know her. Stuck up little bitch."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine
Hot. 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

"Ah, I see. So then I shouldn't count on you for an introduction, I take it?"

I smile broadly at my little joke, letting a few seconds of silence pass after I make eye contact. She's not a bad specimen of humanity. But then, there's that whole "religion" thing...

[03:27] Jolinaxas !r 2d6+2
[03:27] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 6+2 = 8

"Make everyone remember... it certainly doesn't sound good. I'm afraid that aside from a recommendation to stop by that worker if you need more supplies in the future, I've heard about nothing else besides these cryptic warnings. They're the sole subject of both rumor and gossip."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Never paid too much attention to him before, but you know, Seth looks pretty good. I shift every so slightly closer towards him as we walk, returning his smile. Man, I'm going to feel bad when I run off with all of his supplies. "Haha, well, I don't like her, but we're on speaking terms I think. I could probably introduce you if you wanted?"

"Yeah, what does that even mean? The only thing I can figure is that we must be getting close to the anniversary of the storm, but I haven't really been keeping track." One day is pretty much the next when you don't get holidays or weekends or anything. "And if they wanted a riot or something, 'Make them Remember' isn't a very good way of coordinating one..."

Promising something she thinks he wants

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Excellent. Well, we'll have to do it some other time - unless you'd like to drag your supplies all over the city with me."

For the moment, I guess I'll wander around for a bit. Maybe try to find some barter or confirm Natalie's location. I do wish she'd introduce me, first. Would save me quite a bit of time and medicine.

"Is it that time of year? Perhaps it's less of a 'riot' and more of a 'movement' or 'protest?'Things are looking up, at least compared to, say, last year. Maybe raising the anniversary's spectre is the only way these people think that we'll organize ourselves against the government."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 16, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Yeah, I'd like to drop this off. Why did you want to meet her anyway?"

I can't say I'd approve of attracting the governments attention again, it'd make my work here a lot harder, and we've been safely forgotten aside from occasional supply shipments. "The last thing we need is more attention though. More cops would just cause more problems." Though maybe if the uprising was able to drive the remaining authority out completely, that could be the cause of the disease and lack of supplies? Though still clearly needing judgement, perhaps Natalie and her ilk would prove to be doing the lords work after all.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"To satisfy my curiosity, mostly. Plus, when you're on your own like me, it pays to know the kind of people that live in any place described as 'fancy.' As far as the cops go - believe me, I couldn't agree more."

Less than a year. Then I'll swoop in like a knight in shining armor and tell these poor squatters that I know someone willing to pay them cold, hard cash for their buildings - enough to be able leave, but only just.

"But whoever left these marks thinks differently, maybe."

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker
Harm: 1/4; Exp: 2/5 (0); Conditions: --

"Woman in the basement," I murmer, shoving the mirror back into her bag and zipping it up again. The action only made her head swim a little bit, so that was good. "That could be your lady in blue. Even if it's not, we can't just leave someone here with a bunch of Brickers." I thought about that a moment -- it was already possible that I had the Rushers after me. Did I need the second most bloodthirsty gang out here joining in?

"We definitely can't go in the front," I continue. "So let's see if there's anything around the back we can use." Hopeing that Cassie is going to follow, I begin to creep my way around the building, carefully ducking beneath any more windows. To my general relief, I spot what I'm looking for at the back of the building -- a low, wide barely above the ground, presumably leading into the dark recesses of the concert hall's basement. I give the frame a good hard kick, and the rusted lock gives way without too much noise. I try peering in, but the morning sun is too bright out here to make much of anything out.

I look at Cassie, then reach out to clasp her shoulders with both hands, in what I hope is a consoling gesture. "Look, I know you're all shook up over this, and I can't really blame you -- if you want, I can go down there and you can wait up here. We don't really know what's down there."

Okay, let's try this again: Turn Cassie on by being all cool and stuff, taking advantage of her Shaken condition: 2d6+1=8.

When I go into the basement, I'll probably give a Hold Steady roll to see whether or not Grace fucks something up, if that's okay with AdjectiveNoun.

I do my best to keep eye contact, and hope that comes across as reassuring rather than intimidating -- I've been told I come across as a bit intense sometimes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Shaken

I'm not sure if my heart is beating so loudly because I'm scared, or if it's because she's so close to me. I want to do what she says. I want to grab her and run away from here. But no, no I can do this. “I- no, I'm alright. This is my problem, I can't let you go in there alone.”

Giving you something I think you want.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"I'm glad someone agrees anyway."

"As for Natalie, maybe. But you would do better to get closer to god." I flash him another smile, to let him know it isn't a lecture, and brush my fingers lightly against his own. Leaning in a little closer, I lower my voice, trying for a husky tone, "I could help you with that."

Turn on Seth
[12:55] <godfish> !r 2d6
[12:55] <Krysmbot> godfish, 7 = 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Closer to God? I'll settle for closer to her church. Besides, it appears there might be more in this for me than real estate. I move in closer. One of us will have to flinch at some point, yes?

"And what would this entail? You'll forgive me if I'm a little hesitant. Me and Him, we haven't been on speaking terms in a while. A few years, actually."

He'll "promise" her something he thinks she wants - a new convert.

• Locked thread