Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
without maths.... there would be no computers.

mathematicians created the computer, I think it was Turing and von Neumann or something. there'll be some movie about it starring Sherlock and it seems to be mostly a ripoff from A Beautiful Mind... anyway let's pretend we're smart and talk about math.

in 2012 some japanese guy published 500 pages of a thing he calls Inter-universal Teichmuller Theory. his website is awesome. I mean, notice how he put a picture over his previous picture, it's amazing. anyway, apparently he proved the ABC conjecture which you can hear about in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBl7WKzzRw (sorry I know numberphile is kinda bad but this guy explains the conjecture in a pretty good way)

you see, the guy in the video is super excited and poo poo. so recently I was thinking about this and guess what, 2 years later and nobody knows if it makes sense or not yet.

Wikipedia posted:

Experts were expected to take months to check Mochizuki's new mathematical machinery, which was developed over decades in 500 pages of preprints and several of his prior papers.[13] Attempts at verifying Mochizuki's work are severely hampered by his refusal to leave his home university and lecture on his new mathematics, as is standard in the academy.[14]

Mochizuki has refused all requests for media interviews, but released a progress report in December 2013.[16]

and meanwhile some idiots actually speculated that Motizuki is Satoshi Nakamoto.

idk, there's something really wrong with the way mathematics is being done in this information revolution era. thx4reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
c00l

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Math is terrorist bullshit. Algebra more like al qaeda

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

reddit-on-onion.txt

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

maths

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
what are you on about son

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mos def

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
btw please don't tell mr superawesome about this thread

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was talking with a friend today about how much math I took in college and I realized that I've forgotten basically everything about calculus, differential equations and linear algebra

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

qirex posted:

I was talking with a friend today about how much math I took in college and I realized that I've forgotten basically everything about calculus, differential equations and linear algebra

sometimes when I get bored at work I reprove basic principles just so I know I haven't forgotten

I know this makes me a weird but I get perverse enjoyment out of proofs

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

my fav part of maths is counting up mad stacks of ca$h

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:firstpost:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
strictly speaking mathematicians invented mechanical computers

up to that point a "computer" was "a person who carries out computations"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:goonsay:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Widdiful posted:

my fav part of maths is counting up mad stacks of ca$h

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
*argues with math teacher over TI-89 ban*

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
did you know? maths is a human activity! oh wow!

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Mathematical Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septomin

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

qirex posted:

you can probably get it all back if you read about it for a few hours, it happens to me all the time

these days I noticed that I'm still pretty good at doing integrals by hand. which is a really dumb skill to have in memory because lol if you don't just use wolfram alpha.

*sigh* college....

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've downloaded engineering mathematics by Stroud but I haven't rea it yet but I want to

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
never done calculus/ welp like it makers

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Symbolic Butt posted:

in 2012 some japanese guy published 500 pages of a thing he calls Inter-universal Teichmuller Theory. his website is awesome. I mean, notice how he put a picture over his previous picture, it's amazing.

His CV is amazing too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis posted:

if u want to actually learn calculus get spivak's calculus book

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

learning about derivatives is one of the most interesting and useful stuff that you may want to learn from college-level math. and it's not terribly hard or anything I guess

like I'm bad at physics but I thought it was pretty rad to feel like I truly understood concepts like speed an acceleration

in some countries kids learn about derivatives in high school, this should be the norm instead of learning about matrices I guess

"Marital Status: Single (never married)" lol

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

you can probably get it all back if you read about it for a few hours, it happens to me all the time

these days I noticed that I'm still pretty good at doing integrals by hand. which is a really dumb skill to have in memory because lol if you don't just use wolfram alpha.

*sigh* college....
have had phd for 3 years, was proud the other day i could still integrate a polynomial

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ChiralCondensate posted:

have had phd for 3 years, was proud the other day i could still integrate a polynomial

ur mom sure enjoyed that gluon condensate all over her face

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symbolic Butt posted:

learning about derivatives is one of the most interesting and useful stuff that you may want to learn from college-level math. and it's not terribly hard or anything I guess

like I'm bad at physics but I thought it was pretty rad to feel like I truly understood concepts like speed an acceleration

in some countries kids learn about derivatives in high school, this should be the norm instead of learning about matrices I guess

"Marital Status: Single (never married)" lol

yeah i learned derivatives in high school

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Captain Foo posted:

yeah i learned derivatives in high school

lol if ur not studying algebraic geometry by senior yr high school

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i got my qr method for eigensolving working today but because it's fixed point it'll overflow like nobodies business so now i gotta go in and put all sorts of overflow checks in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we did calculus in second to last year in high school but I never got what it was so gave up. I was great at maths until then

now I know why calculus "is" but still have no idea how to do it. I mean to do basic physics you kinda end up doing it by default and same with chemistry or biochem but is never had to do derivation/integration myself but watching someone derive an equation helps you understand where te concept is coming from

bump_fn posted:

if u want to actually learn calculus get spivak's calculus book

thanks but I don't
vector maths yeah sure

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis posted:

we did calculus in second to last year in high school but I never got what it was so gave up. I was great at maths until then

now I know why calculus "is" but still have no idea how to do it. I mean to do basic physics you kinda end up doing it by default and same with chemistry or biochem but is never had to do derivation/integration myself but watching someone derive an equation helps you understand where te concept is coming from

thanks but I don't
vector maths yeah sure

reaction rates and thermo and stuff are really best understood w calc but w.e.

when u say vector maths what do u mean. linear algebra

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
skimmed that guys paper. idgi looks prety easy to me

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Maths

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bump_fn posted:

reaction rates and thermo and stuff are really best understood w calc but w.e.
yeah dfeintely

quote:

when u say vector maths what do u mean. linear algebra

oh i am making some poo poo in game engine and working out dot product and things. i didnt know anything a month ago now i know next to nothing (but achieve a thing or two)

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvQwCI9A_o

christ why did i watch this show

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

my cousin needs a maths tutor what do you think his quote is

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

never married form a queue ladies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
math is pretty good imo

i liked topology, but when i went to grad school i found out i didn't really LIKE it like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

math is pretty good imo

i liked topology, but when i went to grad school i found out i didn't really LIKE it like it.

What's an anagram of banach-tarski?

• Locked thread