Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Homeworld was the tits. It was also the first game I ever pvp'ed a whole shitton in, here's how i won literally every round ever:

1) strike craft harass the resource collectors to keep 'em on their toes (duh this is step one in any strat including all inferior strats which is all of them)

2) rush minelayers, build six, sphere-formation them around the ms and ctrl-z them every cycle until the end of the game

3) build up to grav wells, position them around outside the mine-egg of doom, hotkey them separately

4) make some fighting poo poo... it'll be piddly compared to the other guy's force but it doesn't matter

5) keep pooping mines and ships until you hear those magic words 'hyperspace signature detected'

6a) he's doom dropping right on top of your ms, open up a grav well or two and watch as his entire fleet is frozen trying to exit hyperspace and gets obliterated by a wave of mines and violence, cycle grav wells as necessary to perpetuate this broke rear end beatdown until he leaves the game

6b) he hyperspaced to a safe range from your mines and wells, now he's got to spend time chewing through the mines > doom drop his rear end right back and pluck his ms like a ripe space fruit

6c) he's not a total idiot and is slowboatin' across the map with an unstoppable armada > wait until he's about half way across the map and drop right on top of his momship and watch it blow up just as the defending fleet exits hyperspace exactly too late

7) collect space tears

cataclysm was pretty okay too, liked the beast capture mechanic and the fusion cannon was totally trivialized by just putting your fleet on a big random waypoint control, i rushed beast cruise missiles every time and just whacked the other player with his own opening offensive line until it got boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

strategy games aren't any fun once someone actually gets good at them.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

kharak is burning...............................

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

strategy games aren't any fun once someone actually gets good at them.

actually they're super fun for the person who gotgüd (it's me)

Benny D posted:

kharak is burning...............................
it was a lovely desert planet and they were leaving anyway, nobody was really all that sad

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
what is this strategy game nerd poo poo? is that like age of empires?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

what is this strategy game nerd poo poo? is that like age of empires?

it's better because it's 3d and also space

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

actually they're super fun for the person who gotgüd (it's me)

it was a lovely desert planet and they were leaving anyway, nobody was really all that sad

Um didn't a whole ton of people have to stay behind on kharak and they were all burned alive

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Benny D posted:

Um didn't a whole ton of people have to stay behind on kharak and they were all burned alive

yeah that sucks real bad for them doesn't it

ed8t: however if it wasn't for their selfless and decisionless sacrifice there never would have been a galactic rebellion leading to the events where the homeseekers teamed up with captain so-and-so to break the decrepit old empire over their collective knee

also everyone was a pawn of the spacejews the whole time

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 13, 2014

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
Your strat sucks as and I would have given you a new rear end hole with my 20000000 strike craft and bomber formations which is how you win

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

Your strat sucks as and I would have given you a new rear end hole with my 20000000 strike craft and bomber formations which is how you win

nah thats the whole reason for step one scrub

"you have to be good on your strike craft and i would have been better during strike craft stage" is stupid since no competent player ever actually had a game end on that stage

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

if you ever lost an ms to strike craft = you're a drooling retard is what i'm saying, basically

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
A strike craft kill is from forty minutes with near zero income and endless plasma bomber runs on evasive

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

Eventually maybe a ion frigate shows up too

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

A strike craft kill is from forty minutes with near zero income and endless plasma bomber runs on evasive

If there's still large amount of bombers on the field 40 minutes in everyone playing is a dumbo who forgot about multiturret corvettes, assault frigates and missile destroyers

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
why did they get rid of fuel in the later games?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

why did they get rid of fuel in the later games?

Narrowly it has to do with the reduction of the tactical capability of the average rts player, more broadly it has to do with the final death of the rts as a genre. Being competent at an rts takes effort and will, but games sell better as instant and accessible gratification. Hence the meteoric rise of the MOBA and the death of depth.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
I need to replay Homeworld. I remember 2 big things from that game.

1. Salvage corvettes can be abused way too much in single player.
2. This ship rules

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
loving junkyard dog

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Is Homeowrld HD out yet.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Arkevillain posted:

I need to replay Homeworld. I remember 2 big things from that game.

1. Salvage corvettes can be abused way too much in single player.

If you didn't assimilate absolutely everything that didn't get blown up too quick you were playing wrong :colbert:

Arkevillain posted:

2. This ship rules

Especially the multibeam frigates holy poo poo. Their ai was wonky so they wouldn't hardly ever even fire if you put them into formation with any other kind of ship but detached on their own you knew poo poo was about to light up when they go into that crocodile death roll

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Is Homeowrld HD out yet.

Homoworld

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Is Homeowrld HD out yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibn3_dmZ4WE&t=1789s

Marvel as Steve Gibson explains how HD feature creep has delayed their progress indefinitely, a manchild someone accidentally let on stage derails the whole production because he spots some epic cosplay, and Gibson goes on to highlight their incompetence at international trade, how the defining feature of their project is a little plastic miniature that lights up and is also not even the original mothership.

jfc

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Gearbox's greatest crime is that they still haven't put Homeworld 1 and 2 on Steam or GOG

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Lamebot posted:

Homoworld

This.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Lamebot posted:

loving junkyard dog

aww who could hate what is basically the equivalent of space-WallE? :3:

also holy poo poo grav-well generators are even more awesome than I ever realized

quote:

Gravity Well Generators can immobilize and trap the Junkyard Dog. After this it is possible to destroy the ship, however it takes a massive amount of firepower and time because of its heavy armor.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Homeworld was also one of the last games to come with an awesome art and story book without having to buy some stupid special edition. The intro and cutscenes were pretty stellar too

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Benny D posted:

Homeworld was also one of the last games to come with an awesome art and story book without having to buy some stupid special edition. The intro and cutscenes were pretty stellar too

Homeworld: A Historical and Technical Briefing was no joke hands down the greatest printed videogame supplement ever made. It just oozed with the obvious love the creators put into their game.

And since many of you have no doubt tragically misplaced this awesome publication, like me, well here's the whole thing in pdf form for free.

edit: poo poo thats just part one, I'm looking for the full fuckin' thing for you though imps don't lose heart

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 14, 2014

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

aww who could hate what is basically the equivalent of space-WallE? :3:
The reason I hated it was because you couldn't jack the drat thing. Imagine, stealing ships with the Dog.:smugdog:

Also, the soundtrack for the game is amazing.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

The Protagonist posted:

Homeworld: A Historical and Technical Briefing was no joke hands down the greatest printed videogame supplement ever made. It just oozed with the obvious love the creators put into their game.

And since many of you have no doubt tragically misplaced this awesome publication, like me, well here's the whole thing in pdf form for free.

edit: poo poo thats just part one, I'm looking for the full fuckin' thing for you though imps don't lose heart

I have it. Its good and feels good to hold.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

"they all forgot multi-gun corvettes and missle destroyers"

lol how are you gonna tech to missile destroyers with no income retard, 30 min no rush plz

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

"they all forgot multi-gun corvettes and missle destroyers"

lol how are you gonna tech to missile destroyers with no income retard, 30 min no rush plz

drat you musta sucked, interceptors are cheaper and more cost effective against any amount of bombers you care to build so unless you're playing an idiot who isn't ever probing then it's never gonna work and it never does

pump all the bombers you want and 'ceptors/defenders are going swat them outta the sky on aggresive and they'll have extra cash to build a controller with the money saved

then when late game rolls around grav well are just such a hard loving counter that every strike craft is literally worthless at that point

basically you walked into a thread about late game chess and bragged how your pawn rush was awesome

e; i am jealous you still have your book though

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2014

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

thanks for the threadtag ralp/whoever!

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

when i build strike craft i only attack with one kind, especially the anti-capital ship type versus strike craft, cuz im pants on head retarded

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
vayger vetical and cold launch torpedoes were the only good parts about homeworld 2

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

when i build strike craft i only attack with one kind, especially the anti-capital ship type versus strike craft, cuz im pants on head retarded

okay i went back and saw you said strikecraft and bombers, but yeah very few games i played ever got decided by large groups of strikecraft because they're going to be fighting and dying in bucketloads unless both players just don't engage for forty minutes which is what bad players do

i usually went with ~2 ceptors for every bomber once i secured the advantage over my own rus before pushing towards theirs, always keeping the strike advantage over putting pure bomber-dps on their collectors while supplementing my own collectors with some defenders over time

late game large wings of strikecraft get more and more situational and are only really good for trying to pick off a radar array, science ship or lone capital moving forward to reinforce the front

and yeah i harp on it but gravwells trivialize any number of little buggers and make them easy targets for ion cannons even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Wales Grey posted:

vayger vetical and cold launch torpedoes were the only good parts about homeworld 2

battlecruisers and a lot of ships looked sick as hell but poo poo just popped so fast everything felt like cheap junk, all the other interesting factions were missing and the sajuuk really should have just killed everything in one hit instead of slowboating around like a bigger, dumber dreadnought making the last climatic mission one of the most boring goddamn loving homeworld 2

• Locked thread