Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

All live music is terrible

lol whats it like living with your level of autism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

Honestly I think it's more this:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/06/286786987/for-some-people-music-truly-doesnt-make-them-happy

The researcher in the article calls it music-specific anhedonia and they made a little online quiz version.

Here were my scores:

The mean is 50 and standard deviation is 10, which puts me way out of "normal" for everything but sensori-motor responses to music.

Blackula69 posted:

lol literal autism

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

I've never tried a weed but I don't expect this to make my brain care about music any more than I expect it to make me see new colors.

It's not that I don't enjoy life, I really do, it's just that I really don't care for music. I can recognize it (and even perform it), but it just adds no value. Hearing people talk about music is a bit like listening to a food snob describe how much better the french fries cooked in one type of oil are than the other when I can't even tell them apart. If I didn't know better I'd suspect they were just making it all up.

My preferences in music are similarly strange, when people make me answer that question I feel a bit like how someone with no sense of smell would respond when asked to describe their favorite scented candle. I don't really listen to music in my spare time at all, it's just not a thing I do. I never spent any time in my teenage years locked up in my room playing tunes. I never invited anyone over to chill out and listen to music together. I listen to podcasts when driving or excercising.

If you looked through my "collection" or youtube history for music you'd find a bunch of things that aren't actually enjoyed for their musical properties -- funny videos, comedy songs, parody music, etc. Music can still invoke emotion in me through other means -- maybe I'll have a contextual memory about that particular song -- but if I've never heard it before odds are I'll be completely indifferent. The lyrics themselves can be poetry (quite literally, since the music isn't doing anything), but I'm not the kind of person who enjoys reading poetry or listening to spoken word performances either.

One time I had a friend list the three best things in life as "Food, Sex, and Music" and I literally thought he was making a joke along the lines of "Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking".

Blackula69 posted:

lol literal autism

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

the best music is the fans of my jenkins server while successfully merging a wine patch

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

its just laziness/budget issues on the bands part cause zappa figured out some black magic in the 70s to make live albums sound like perfect studio sessions

• Locked thread