Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Does God Complex count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I had a dream last night where I was supposed to meet somebody from this thread at a café, and when they came in they were really rude to me and wouldn't shake my hand. I would like to know who this was so I can report them, thank you.

hashtag anxiety dreams about doctor who forums posters

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Forktoss posted:

I had a dream last night where I was supposed to meet somebody from this thread at a café, and when they came in they were really rude to me and wouldn't shake my hand. I would like to know who this was so I can report them, thank you.

hashtag anxiety dreams about doctor who forums posters

It was Doctor What, but he didn't mean anything by it. He was just RPing 6, he figured you'd understand.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jsor posted:

It was Doctor What, but he didn't mean anything by it. He was just RPing 6, he figured you'd understand.

Naw, he would have come in the outfit, so Forktoss surely would have recognised him.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

TL posted:

How many times did Rory die before he left the show? There was him getting erased from history, the time in the Curse of the Black Spot, I guess you can count two in the Angels Take Manhattan...I'm forgetting some, I know.

I'm actually going to keep a running score. I'll keep you posted.

I'm counting the two dream deaths from Amy's Choice and any other alternate timeline hogwash deaths. If he dies on-screen it counts, no matter the story telling flim flam they use to justify their sick Rory genocide.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm very rude so it might have been me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Evelyn vs Wilf feels like deciding if I want to live with mom or dad.

In general, my favorite companion, like my favorite Doctor, is usually a function of who I've most recently watched or listened to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Adric is most closely associated with the 5th Doctor, but he had 5 stories with the 4th Doctor - that's 20 episodes!

He was also a far more palatable character playing off against Tom Baker.

I'd forgotten it was that many! I do think Adric works way better with Four, I just always think of him as a Five companion. Come to think of it, Polly and Ben had a good 12 or so episodes with the First Doctor, but I definitely think of them as officially Two's companions.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

I'd forgotten it was that many!

So had the writers of said episodes :v:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

TL posted:

How many times did Rory die before he left the show? There was him getting erased from history, the time in the Curse of the Black Spot, I guess you can count two in the Angels Take Manhattan...I'm forgetting some, I know.

Amy's Choice: Killed by an an old lady. Then killed by the Doctor blowing up the TARDIS. Luckily it was all a dream~
Cold Blood: Shot by a Silurian and erased from space and time.
The Big Bang: We are led to believe he died in the London Blitz but he went undercover to protect the Pandorica and also put up anti-Hitler propaganda around London.
Day of the Moon: Shot by Canton. Turned out to be a ruse.
Curse of the Black Spot: Drowned. Preserved by the Siren, then revived by Amy.
The Doctor's Wife: Aged to death by House but it was an illusion. Probably.
Angels Take Manhattan: Saw his older self die. Commits suicide. Luckily there was quantum happening.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

UNIT: Dominion is a big story for Big Finish, with a script that ended up totaling roughly 400 pages. It's loud and proud, a story that doesn't make any bones about being larger than life and throwing all caution and subtlety to the wind. It relies a little too heavily on Big Finish's own continuity perhaps, but then again this is a story that is pretty explicitly made FOR Big Finish fans of Doctor Who and it's not going to be meek about celebrating that.

UNIT's current scientific adviser (be warned, she's a recurring character with her own storyarcs in previous Big Finish productions) is dealing with the rather annoying position of being an utter genius who has to live up to the reputation of the Doctor. It doesn't help that she has encountered the Doctor before, either, and that she found him a less than inspiring figure to be around. With a preening commanding officer more interested in media appearances and soldiers wrapped up in their own domestic affairs, it seems she is the only actual competent person around. So imagine her consternation when presented with an utterly bizarre, seemingly alien object that appears one day in the middle of London, one beyond her ability to understand.... only for the TARDIS to appear and the larger-than-life figure of the Doctor to come prancing out with a carefree laugh and immediately solve the problem for her. This isn't the Doctor she knew though, or any of the ones in UNIT's records, but he knows all the correct passcodes and his biology is clearly that of a Time Lord. He explains that he is a far-flung future regeneration of the Doctors that they've encountered in the past, and much to the Scientific Adviser's chagrin he barely remembers her at all, claiming it was all done long ago. This same Doctor also bumps into the 7th Doctor in a different scene, cheerfully warning him not to trust an alien race called the Tolians, irritating the 7th Doctor who claims that it is unacceptable to so flagrantly abuse the laws of time by jumping back into his own time-stream to give his past self information about the future.

Big Finish has to walk a fine line when it comes to Doctors past Paul McGann, as their license only explicitly covers the adventures of the first 8 Doctors and nothing from the revival onwards. This hasn't stopped them in the past from exploring the notion of future Doctors, though usually in a second or thirdhand way - for instance in Colditz the 7th Doctor learns that events have been masterminded by a future regeneration who, by their very actions, will now never have existed. Here though, Big Finish just says gently caress it and brings in a brand new Doctor, played admirably by Alex MacQueen (The Inbetweeners, The Thick of It) who has the time of his life just devouring the scenery. His Doctor is camp, loud and boisterous and seemingly utterly bemused by everything going on around him - including the rather shabby treatment he gets from UNIT as he continually saves their lives AND the world time and time again. Even though this is one story with a clear narrative line running through it, it is structured in a way that makes it feel more like multiple adventures, almost a mini-season of events. As a result, we get to see this Doctor form a (not always cordial) relationship with the members of UNIT. Some die along the way, a new character steps in, and throughout it all the Doctor remains present, at turns infuriating and inspiring as he offers the scientific adviser the praise and positive reinforcement she never got from "the umbrella man".

The umbrella man (the 7th Doctor), meanwhile, is in all sorts of trouble. Ignoring his future self's advice, he and a new companion have kicked off a giant mess involving old forbidden Time Lord technology, and find themselves on the run through various dying dimensions full of hostile life. As luck and the plot would have it, one of those dimensions is one that is currently staging an attempted invasion of Earth, and the Doctor and his companion are saved by his future self and quickly brought up to speed. With a corridor between dimensions unintentionally stuck open thanks to the 7th Doctor's meddling, Earth is now subject to multiple invasions from different alien beings fleeing worlds that are being sucked dry of all their energy. The other Doctor has been able to deal with most of these incursions in a thankfully non-hostile way, though he has already made it clear that he no longer quite believes in the familiar "avoid killing as much as possible" mantra of former Doctors we (and UNIT) are familiar with.

With the 7th Doctor now on the scene, you would expect that this would make solving the problem a snap, however in an interesting take on matters, they're prevented from solving the issue by the shortsighted UNIT. Refusing to trust either Doctor despite their record of assistance, they confiscate the other Doctor's TARDIS and keep the dimensional node that is key to solving the issue from him as much as possible. Why? Because they've convinced that if they give the other Doctor the node and let him into his TARDIS he will fly away and remove the only method they have of shutting down the dimensional tears as they open. Nevermind that he keeps claiming he needs to properly scan it to figure out how to fix things for good, they continue to view him as simply an asset to be used but not trusted, and it's rather annoying that they never get called out on this. All this trouble started when the 7th Doctor tried to help another race in danger of dying and they then threatened the life of his companion when he "only" set them back to normal instead of granting them great power. UNIT are guilty of the same thing, so determined to control the situation that they don't grasp they are just allowing it to continue. It's an interesting aspect of the story that doesn't get explored much outside of a few glib remarks from the Doctor's companion (I haven't mentioned them because even when this story came out it was apparently a surprise that they WERE a companion), and even when the story is over and the day is saved nobody really points out,"And all of this is pretty much your fault, you human scum."

Perhaps the reason for this is the twist that comes at the end of episode 3. Most of you probably already know it, or will have guessed it while listening, but for the sake of those who haven't I won't say what it is. Suffice to say it is handled excellent, and the story just improves out of sight once everything comes out of the closet. Sylvester McCoy and Alex MacQueen play wonderfully off each other in light of the revelation, and its about this point when all the cards are on the table that we FINALLY get to see a little of the old chessmaster McCoy come into play. For most of the first three episodes, the 7th Doctor is reacting to events and generally fleeing for his life. By episode 4 though he finally has a grasp of the situation, and watching him smoothly turn the tables and gain control is an absolute treat. It does mean that UNIT mostly gets a pass for some pretty appalling behavior though, since technically if they'd been more trusting it would have lead to all kinds of disaster and turmoil.... but they had no way of knowing that, and it wasn't the reason they were doing so in any case. Their reasoning was purely the selfish, short-sighted behavior of control freaks, and it just so happened to work out okay in the end.

The BIG story makes really good use of the audio format, and it is nice that they don't play it safe. The various monsters/aliens that appear in the story are wonderfully weird or horrific - like giant spiders that wrap you in resilient webs then inject the cocoons with lava in order to "cook" their "food". Or the giant baby-faced heads that appear floating throughout the world bellowing out like foghorns, or even the more traditional "mind leeches". There are misses though, like the awful Nexus creatures with their silly voices and bad accents, a misguided attempt at humor in the middle of the story that adds nothing and goes nowhere (outside of the admittedly funny "If we smell bad you don't want to eat us" argument made by one solider). In the attempt to wrap things up, the story also seems to lose sight of those creatures that remained in the story but weren't needed for the plot anymore. When all is said and done, are there still roughly 20 giant floating baby heads bellowing around the countryside? In that sense the story seemed to take a leaf out of the RTD years, with a massive and very public global invasion that cannot in any way be hidden from the public... and yet leaves the Earth society relatively untouched by events at the end of the story. There's also an attempt to humanize one of the soldiers with a subplot about his pregnant wife that feels more like a distraction than anything else, and a redemption arc for the scientific adviser that should have made up the backbone of the story but basically got overshadowed by MacQueen's (admittedly excellent) larger than life performance.

UNIT: Dominion is one of Big Finish's bigger stories, ostensibly a 7th Doctor story but one that really does belong to the ensemble cast. It's very loud and over-the-top but that makes the quiet, sinister moments stand out all the more. It deals with some past Big Finish continuity in a smooth manner, admirably straddles the line between what Big Finish is allowed to do and what they WANT to do with the license, and is a pretty solid demonstration of how far they've come in terms of scripting, presentation, sound-mixing, effects etc since they first started up the Doctor Who line back in 1999. It's not without flaws, and it's a very long story to boot and not one I'd advise trying to listen to all in one go (or even a single episode all in one go unless you've got a good hour to spare)... but yeah, this is something you should definitely listen to. It's easy to miss, not being part of the Monthly Range, and if you're a continuity nut you might want to hold off on listening till you've reached the 2012 releases of Big Finish.... but don't let it slip under your radar, it's a very good story.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
How is it possible to remember Angels In Manhattan? I scrubbed that episode out of my mind as soon as I could.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apropos of nothing, here's the Fifth Doctor using his amazing brain and unmatched strategic and tactical thinking to turn the tables on one of the Master's Machiavellian schemes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Their expressions are so perfect :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cover to series NINE of Jago and Litefoot is up, and good dear lord it's beautiful:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/jago-litefoot-series-9---stories-and-a-new-date

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just finished the episode.

I’m confused. Where were the Krynoids?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pwnstar posted:

Amy's Choice: Killed by an an old lady. Then killed by the Doctor blowing up the TARDIS. Luckily it was all a dream~
Cold Blood: Shot by a Silurian and erased from space and time.
The Big Bang: We are led to believe he died in the London Blitz but he went undercover to protect the Pandorica and also put up anti-Hitler propaganda around London.
Day of the Moon: Shot by Canton. Turned out to be a ruse.
Curse of the Black Spot: Drowned. Preserved by the Siren, then revived by Amy.
The Doctor's Wife: Aged to death by House but it was an illusion. Probably.
Angels Take Manhattan: Saw his older self die. Commits suicide. Luckily there was quantum happening.

Didn't he also die in The Wedding of River Song holding off a horde of Silence, or did he survive that one?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Didn't he also die in The Wedding of River Song holding off a horde of Silence, or did he survive that one?

And he died 3 times in Angels in Manhattan.

Old man on a bed.
Jumped off a building.
Zapped back in time and lived to death.
(Which could be considered 2 deaths since he had a tombstone without Amy then one with)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At this point, Rory has both lived longer and died more times than the Doctor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

And Moffat was never interested in remembering that.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I actually think it's a tie or close enough on both accounts.

Until I've finished my official count, I'm guessing Rory's deaths at ~13. The doctor had 11 deaths from regenerating(one regeneration without death), 2 by the dream master, Lake Silencio (probably a couple more).

And Rory lived a scooch over 2k years. The doctor's also lived over 2k years (how much depends on how much he lies).

I'd call it a wash.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bicyclops posted:

After all that time on the no-lying planet, isn't the doctor up to 2k as well?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

howe_sam posted:

No, the Silence made a fourth-wall-breaking speech about how he keeps dying and then Amy shot them all.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just watched the end of Flatline again, and man the Doctor's speech is so great. I love the idea that he wants to convince himself that he tried at the start of it. And he really did, but he knows he's done bad before and he wants to make sure this isn't one of those times. Listened to it 5 times in a row. Might be my favorite for a long time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RodShaft posted:

I actually think it's a tie or close enough on both accounts.

Until I've finished my official count, I'm guessing Rory's deaths at ~13. The doctor had 11 deaths from regenerating(one regeneration without death), 2 by the dream master, Lake Silencio (probably a couple more).

And Rory lived a scooch over 2k years. The doctor's also lived over 2k years (how much depends on how much he lies).

I'd call it a wash.

Which regeneration wasn't caused by death? Oh, wait, yeah, the one where Ten dumped the energy to make the dildo doctor. I keep forgetting that one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think that one counts as a death since he would have died from the Dalek death ray, but regenerating from 2 to 3 wasn't a death.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Dabir posted:

I think that one counts as a death since he would have died from the Dalek death ray, but regenerating from 2 to 3 wasn't a death.
I was so disappointed when I saw this, because having a brand new doctor pop into the middle of an arc like that could have been really cool :( also it was sort of horrible to begin with.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Meanwhile, what's Matt Smith up to?

Oh dear.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Matt Smith cut his hair short and dyed it blond, would he look sort of like David Anders? See, I've been watching Alias lately...

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

marktheando posted:

Meanwhile, what's Matt Smith up to?

Oh dear.

I see they've employed JNT's tried-and-true methods of creating mystery around their characters for the character of ????.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

Just finished the episode.

I’m confused. Where were the Krynoids?

One of the good things about very short stories nowadays is that you can do more conceptual stuff with no actual villain. If I was writing one that's the kind of thing I'd do.

RodShaft posted:

Lake Silencio

The Doctor didn't die at Lake Silencio ever :reject:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

After all that time on the no-lying planet, isn't the doctor up to 2k as well?

And it's not just that, the Doctor's age was dropped a few centuries in the new series as a result of it not really mattering because obviously the Doctor lies about his age a lot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It must be hard for him to think how many years he spent as Eight. I'm listening to Something Inside right now and I am beginning to believe he spent at least half of that particular lifetime having amnesia of various kinds.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Not to mention Captain Jack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hey Cobi, have you done a review of The Fourth Wall yet?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

It must be hard for him to think how many years he spent as Eight. I'm listening to Something Inside right now and I am beginning to believe he spent at least half of that particular lifetime having amnesia of various kinds.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey Cobi, have you done a review of The Fourth Wall yet?

he doesn't have to, because it's really really great. And my taste in audios is impeccable, so you can trust me on that!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Doctor didn't die at Lake Silencio ever :reject:

RodShaft posted:

I'm counting the two dream deaths from Amy's Choice and any other alternate timeline hogwash deaths. If he dies on-screen it counts, no matter the story telling flim flam they use to justify their sick Rory genocide.

Same goes for Doctor Deaths. He died on-screen and we didn't get the story telling flim flam for months.
:colbert:

Speaking of, when did younger Doctor Smith find out about older Doctor Smith dying mid-regeneration? Shouldn't that have set off some klaxxons in his mind since he was out of regenerations? Where did he get the regeneration energy to fix River in Angels in Manhattan?

I'm guessing he was just using it up on that one since he knew he didn't have enough to regenerate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

And Moffat was never interested in remembering that.

There's an episode sometime in season 6 (from memory) where the Doctor and Rory discuss whether he actually remembers anything specific from the 2000 years he spent guarding the Pandorica. He only remembers bits and pieces and they come and go, besides which they're memories of a fractured, now extinguished timeline where nothing made sense and things happened differently to how they did in the "real" world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

There's an episode sometime in season 6 (from memory) where the Doctor and Rory discuss whether he actually remembers anything specific from the 2000 years he spent guarding the Pandorica. He only remembers bits and pieces and they come and go, besides which they're memories of a fractured, now extinguished timeline where nothing made sense and things happened differently to how they did in the "real" world.

I thought that they later hinted that he remembered more than that. Or am I remembering wrong?

• Locked thread