Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was pretty good, actually!

I also loved this one in the recommended links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josI9YR45dI

"...and Christopher Lee, as DRACULA!"

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!

Needs some sound balancing -- far too loud for 10 o'clock at night, Central Time.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
How about if we saw a companion actually spend their whole life travelling with the Doctor, and we see them get old and die?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

greententacle posted:

How about if we saw a companion actually spend their whole life travelling with the Doctor, and we see them get old and die?

We'd either have to deal with age make-up (which is very hit-and-miss), or have the same character and actor for longer than we've had a few Doctors. Either way, probably best not to.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What if they brought Dodo back

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Action Man posted:

It took some time, but finally, The_Doctor's gift of Target Novels has arrived at my home.

Splendid paperbacks, all of them.

Yay! I think that means it's only DoctorWhat's one that didn't go through.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rita Repulsa posted:

What if they brought Dodo back

Only if they include Adric.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Crazy Man posted:

Needs some sound balancing -- far too loud for 10 o'clock at night, Central Time.

You expected Daleks doing Shakespeare to be understated?

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!

Random Stranger posted:

Only if they include Adric.

Bollocks to that.

Unless he starts postulating how he could actually be right, put up mathematical proofs as to how he could, then throughout the story, bothering the Doctor every five minutes for validation. Before a planet falls on him. Oh wait. :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

greententacle posted:

I agree that Frazer Hines should just constantly be the Doctor's companion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

Yay! I think that means it's only DoctorWhat's one that didn't go through.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure US Mail'll try and get it back to you, provided you included a return address. I hope it doesn't get lost in the ether.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

surc posted:

I'm not set one way or the other. At the moment I figure I'll try and do a complete watch-through, but if I hit a section I really don't enjoy I'll probably skip it and maybe come back later. I've always loved schlocky sci-fi, so I expect I'll still like most of the bad ones. There's also enough out there that I feel like I have to squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of it if I'm not digging it though, so we'll see how it goes.

Marco Polo was the hardest reconstruction to get through for me just because it was my first, but they're not too bad once you get used to them. If you watch one Hartnell-era recon it should definitely be The Myth Makers.

(I'm just starting The Savages tonight, which means i'm getting really close to the end of Hartnell's run. I'm a big Troughton fan but I'll still be sad when Hartnell goes. :smith: )

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After years of not seeing the resemblance between Sean Pertwee and his dad, watching Gotham is a real eye-opener - put a wig on him and he's pretty much the 3rd Doctor in his prime.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And before anyone starts, don't. Wigchat is to here what weathervanes are to the Political Cartoon thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

After The War posted:

And before anyone starts, don't. Wigchat is to here what weathervanes are to the Political Cartoon thread.

But...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Once you've reached the "acceptance" stage, it's fine. But we've had a bad history of people getting stuck at "denial."

"But, but... my favorite Doctor could never wear a wig!" :cry:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

greententacle posted:

Are there any companions who never had their departure explained? Recast them as much, much older, and have the Doctor find them wandering about lost in the bowels of the Tardis, turning insane from hundreds of years of solitude (some timey-whimy stuff for the slowed ageing). The doctor feels guilty and spends the next series accompanied by a deranged OAP.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wonderful chaps with wigs. All of 'em.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Are there any companions who never had their departure explained? Recast them as much, much older, and have the Doctor find them wandering about lost in the bowels of the Tardis, turning insane from hundreds of years of solitude (some timey-whimy stuff for the slowed ageing). The doctor feels guilty and spends the next series accompanied by a deranged OAP.

I really wish that they hadn't given Kamelion an actual exit so at one point they could be wandering around the TARDIS, find a dusty robot sitting in the corner and when the companion asks about it, the Doctor can just whisper "Don't touch it, trust me. It's cursed."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

After The War posted:

What on earth are you talking about

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The political cartoons thread doesn't understand weathervanes and has a comical and embarrassing debate when they appear in a political cartoon.

But yeah, I don't think the Who thread has ever had a wig problem besides occasionally joking about Hartnell's, McGann's, or the Sylvester-Colin disguise.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The political cartoons thread doesn't understand weathervanes and has a comical and embarrassing debate when they appear in a political cartoon.

What is there not to get about/to debate about a weathervane? :confused:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There was a comic where you were looking at a weathervane from below and people don't understand what happens when you look at something from below. I think it was this one:

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 23, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you look at the weathervane from the right perspective it's pretty clear that it's wearing a wig, honestly.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

If you look at the weathervane from the right perspective it's pretty clear that it's wearing a wig, honestly.

Oh here we go, another voyage 'round the English hairline!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
So, Mission to Magnus. Oh god.

Inevitably the Lost Stories, especially the ones based on scripts, are going to be a product of their time. But seriously, did no-one at Big Finish ever say "You know, it's 2009. Maybe we should do some work to update a script that makes Spock's Brain look like a sensitive, thoughtful commentary on gender relations"? There are a lot of things I could criticize about the story, not least the Time Lord who talks about "the natural right of men to rule over women", but they're all blown away by the scene at the end where the leader of the Planet of Men* tells the leader of the devastated Planet of Women how happy she will be when she becomes his wife, how happy all of her people will be when they become the wives of the men, and we fade out on her furious objections as the Doctor and Peri leave with the satisfaction of a job well done. It's hard to see this passing muster with reviewers even in 1986, given the uneasy reception the comparatively mature (but still utterly poo poo) TNG episode "Angel One" enjoyed just a year later. Big Finish, I am very disappointed.

Obligatory: Colin Baker gives the part all he has and is absolutely the high point of the whole production, et cetera et cetera you know the rest.

*Okay, technically it's not the Planet of Men because they supposedly have women as well, but for the purposes of this story it's pretty drat obvious what they are.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Late to the party, but I thought this past episode was okay. About as good as I expected after reading the script. Honestly kinda excited about next week for once, mainly since I don't think it's leaked in any form yet. I'll be going in fresh so the inevitable disappointment will be twice as severe! :getin:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How do they keep leaking scripts and videos in advance? Is it deliberate?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What appears to have happened is that a translation guy in the US accidentally left the scripts and workprints of the first few episodes on a non-secure part of his work network, which were then grabbed and leaked. They have his name all over them.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It was a leak from the people doing closed captions to the episodes. They left the files on a shared drive, and someone decided to share them with the world.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

That pretty annoying because it validates the practice of TV shows who decline to provide captioning/subtitles for finales in the name of spoiler security. It's why deaf people have to suffer through slow and dodgy live subtitling on stuff that isn't live.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can just picture the pit in the poor guy's stomach when he gets called into his boss's office for the inevitable. His name was all over pretty much everything and it was very probably his fault that those first five were leaked. But hell, who knows if the BBC just had terrible storage policies for their media and his happened to be the ones that some overzealous fan managed to steal? :shrug:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

There aren't a lot of happy departures in Classic Who, either.

Arguably, Barbara and Ian, Steven, Ben and Polly, Leela, Nyssa, Turlough and Mel, but the rest are either quite sad for the companion or the Doctor is miserable about them leaving.
Peri got to marry Brian Blessed. That's a happy ending if I ever heard one.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yes, lots of people generally hear when Brian Blessed is involved in a happy ending. Vroonik!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor Brian Blessed doesn't understand that television isn't actually real. You should have heard his reaction after watching the TV movie and being told that Mr. Tipple hadn't actually been disintegrated by the helium Daleks.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Marco Polo was the hardest reconstruction to get through for me just because it was my first, but they're not too bad once you get used to them. If you watch one Hartnell-era recon it should definitely be The Myth Makers.

(I'm just starting The Savages tonight, which means i'm getting really close to the end of Hartnell's run. I'm a big Troughton fan but I'll still be sad when Hartnell goes. :smith: )

The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve is my personal favorite Hartnell reconstruction. You can look forward to Power of the Daleks if you're close to the end of Hartnell and the beginning of Troughton.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

g0del posted:

Peri got to marry Brian Blessed. That's a happy ending if I ever heard one.

"A fate worse than death", at least in the eyes of some Time Lords...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A certain recent Doctor had shaved his head for a film part and had the play the rest of his tenure in a wig. This took over the thread for a number of pages and oh god now I'm the one doing it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Final Synopsis - Better known for a cliffhanger than as an actual story, Dust Breeding suffers from a script too complex for its own good and ideas that might have better been fleshed out in a novel than an audio play. Still, it’s worth a listen if just for how the moment plays out. 3/5.

Yeah, this story is serviceable and has some good ideas, but the execution of those ideas is lacking while every other aspect of the audio (in particular the sound) is at the top of its game. The end result is a mixed bag and only particularly memorable for that cliffhanger. Even that loses some impact (unfairly!), because I'm listening to it in 2014 and not 2001, and I've also heard other audios that were made AFTER this one so the reveal isn't quite the HOLY poo poo! moment it would have been back then. Like CobiWann I won't spoil it, because those going into it fresh will probably find it the absolute best part of the audio.

Part of the problem I had is that there isn't a particularly consistent tone to the story. Various characters give performances suited to different styles of audio, and the director really should have been corralling them so that even if they weren't on the same page they were at least reading from the same book. There are hammy, scenery chewing performances alongside characters deliberately dulled and worn down by the constant buffeting/erosive effects of the plant. There are ridiculous accents alongside characters played completely straight, the latter making the former seem even more ludicrous to the point of parody. I'm never quite sure if the story I'm listening to is supposed to be about madness, or existential dread, or the dangers of obsession, or a revenge story, or a commentary on the rich/poor divide and the quest for distinction through status symbols.

There's also a mess of continuity references that I found alienating. The Krill are treated as a big loving deal to the point that the usually proactive and in-your-face Ace is cowed by them and uncharacteristically tries to run away rather than help a person in peril. But her prior interactions with this race that is thrown into the story as both a game-changer AND a way of showing just how dangerous the Warp Core is (wow, even the Krill are scared of it!) never happened in either the audios or the television series. They're creatures from some novel, and while you can easily enough pick up on the context of Ace and the Doctor's prior encounter with them.... that dulls the impact of their reveal. HOLY poo poo IT'S THE KRILL! has none of the impact that say a Dalek or Cybermen or even Sontaran reveal would have had because a great number of listeners have probably NEVER heard of them and had to look them up afterwards. Bev's former presence at least was in another audio (I haven't heard it myself, but that isn't Big Finish's fault) and the references to the Mona Lisa were from a beloved story from the television show's most popular era (the Tom Baker years). But the Krill appear out of nowhere known only by those who read the Doctor Who novels. Probably the crossover between licensed novel readers and Big Finish Audio listeners was larger back in 2001, but introducing them in this story with the intention of people immediately being wowed by their very presence was a mistake in my mind.

So yeah, characterization wise I wasn't pleased with this story. I disliked the Doctor's justifications for his Art Gallery and completely agreed with Ace's condemnation of it, and actually thought this would end up being a point that would come up at the end of the story. But nope, the Doctor continues on with his Art Gallery full of "lost" art that exists purely for him to appreciate in the privacy of his own TARDIS, like some kind of Zimbabwean Despot who won't give up his copies of Power of the Daleks, robbing untold numbers of future generations the opportunity to see and appreciate it for themselves. Throw in Ace's oddly "self-serving" behavior when the Krill attack and I felt like the characters weren't really feeling like themselves. Not that there is anything wrong with the performances, both McCoy and Aldred are always good and I in particular liked McCoy's possession scene, which contrasted well with his normally soft-spoken approach.

Overall I found the other characters either forgettable or one dimensional, and sometimes both at once. The Warp Core (what a stupid name) lacked any real sense of menace despite its over the top powers, the Krill came across like angry chickens, Madame Salvadori is a parody, Mister Seta is far too refined for my liking considering his nature, and all the other characters I struggle to even remember without looking up - even proto-companion Bev just kind of blurs together in my head with Ace, even when they're in the same scene together.

The resolution downplays the threat of the Warp Core even as it attempts to reveal just how ungodly powerful it is, coupled with the messy strands introduced early in the story regarding Guthrie's refusal to leave the planet and the legend of the Dalek saucer. It's a neatly tied up ending that somehow still feels like it was pulled out of the writer's rear end - I think this one needed a bit more cleaning up, refining and editing to achieve it's potential. As it is, it's an okay story with a neat "oh poo poo!" moment about halfway through, full of forgettable or one-note characters with a tidy resolution. More than anything else what I took after from this story was a somewhat unpleasant taste in my mouth re: the Doctor's sense of entitlement - his justification for that Art Gallery is extremely un-Doctorish in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally saw Time Heist. It was okay, (if a little rushed in a season 7.5 way at the beginning), but for two things:

1) Ms Delphox is a stock Moffat character that has worn out its welcome. He needs to expand his understanding of how women in authority look, sound and act.
2) The last line was bad.

Other than that, it was a fun Doctor Who spin on a caper flick. Except for the last line, which makes too much of his behavior seem like jealousy, I liked the relationship between Clara and the Doctor; they seemed like buddies and he seemed like he was a bored child who didn't understand why she would want to go on a date with a boy instead of have a wacky fun adventure. I do wish Clara had been given something more to do, but I think that was about time constraints.

Overall, I definitely like this season better than either half of season 7 and I'm excited to see more of it.

• Locked thread