Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Missy is Locke, the Doctor is Jacob, and Chris Addison is the bad explanation for the whispers.

Clara was stabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I'd forgotten the second Klein trilogy even existed (nevermind the fact that I'd listened to it before - shut up, I drank a lot then) but I'm not sure how to feel about it. It's not as good as the initial one, but it's not bad, except that the (finale spoiler) end threat is pretty much the same as Light at the End / Name of the Doctor - someone wants to undo every victory the Doctor has ever had! Shock! Granted, it came out before both of those but still .

I'm curious what the overall feel is with these stories? My favorite of the bunch was probably Starlight Robbery (made me REALLY want a Dalek vs Sontaran battle , and I could listen to Will Arrowsmith second-guessing himself in EVERY story, I love his 'stereotypical nerd' thing that he manages to pull off without it sounding like an obvious stereotype.

I would like to hit a 5th doctor story next before I inevitably get J&L 8, any suggestions for a "deep cut" or personal fave? I've listened to the usual recommendations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I liked Flatliners. Took me long enough to get round to watching it though. I laughed so hard when Clara pulled the sledgehammer out of her bag. They should do clown car gags with the Tardis more often. And then the Thing bit where the Doctor is scrabbling around. Oh, the pi bit as well. The funny bits were great in this.

Thought the monsters were pretty interesting too. I missed what the Doctor named them though. It's nice to have completely different things sometimes, along with predictable things like the Daleks.

Anyway, give that Mathieson guy some more episodes to write if this and last week is the sort of thing he comes up with.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

McGann posted:

I'd forgotten the second Klein trilogy even existed (nevermind the fact that I'd listened to it before - shut up, I drank a lot then) but I'm not sure how to feel about it. It's not as good as the initial one, but it's not bad, except that the (finale spoiler) end threat is pretty much the same as Light at the End / Name of the Doctor - someone wants to undo every victory the Doctor has ever had! Shock! Granted, it came out before both of those but still .

I would like to hit a 5th doctor story next before I inevitably get J&L 8, any suggestions for a "deep cut" or personal fave? I've listened to the usual recommendations.

I just listened to 1001 Nights and it's a great twist on the "usual" 4x1-part release, and it's got Alexander Siddig in it!

As for the second Klein Trilogy, I was profoundly disappointed by it.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I just listened to 1001 Nights and it's a great twist on the "usual" 4x1-part release, and it's got Alexander Siddig in it!

Y'know, I've moused-over that one so many times and skipped picking it up mostly due to the cover. And I have no idea who that is but Wikipedia tells me he is in known for two shows and a movie I've never seen, so that explains it!

We usually agree so I'm gonna go with that suggestion, thanks!

Off topic but what the gently caress 5th Doctor, I just saw you pointing a pistol at a kaled mutant. He certainly gets his gun on in this episode (Resurrection) and now that I've said it, it's a matter of time until that YouTube video pops up again.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

McGann posted:

I have no idea who that is but Wikipedia tells me he is in known for two shows and a movie I've never seen, so that explains it!

Well, sounds like somebody should watch Deep Space Nine!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Well, sounds like somebody should watch Deep Space Nine!

Everyone should watch Deep Space Nine.

Siddig was also Captain Nemo in the Six/Jamie trilogy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Huh. Well poo poo, I never would have guessed that. Apparently his voice's changed a lot

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Huh. Well poo poo, I never would have guessed that. Apparently his voice's changed a lot

He's just got some vocal range, I think.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DoctorWhat posted:

And a alien insect cop in "Sisters of the Flame/Vengeance of Morbius"

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/sisters-of-the-flame-529

That's him on the cover with Lucie

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm flying halfway across the country this Friday to go to a wedding, so I may bring some Big Finish along for the trip. I've been falling behind on my Big Finish since all of a sudden there have been video games I wanted to play for the first time in years. If there's some downtime, I might get through Night Thoughts, Time Works, and a Sarah Jane.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

McGann posted:

Y'know, I've moused-over that one so many times and skipped picking it up mostly due to the cover. And I have no idea who that is but Wikipedia tells me he is in known for two shows and a movie I've never seen, so that explains it!

We usually agree so I'm gonna go with that suggestion, thanks!

Off topic but what the gently caress 5th Doctor, I just saw you pointing a pistol at a kaled mutant. He certainly gets his gun on in this episode (Resurrection) and now that I've said it, it's a matter of time until that YouTube video pops up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Rewatching series 7, and Rings of Akhaten, while a lot better on rewatch, they definitely blew their entire budget on the evil sun. The rest of the episode looks like it was made in 1989.

Also lol that ring system is hosed without anything to orbit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love The Rings of Akhaten a lot, but I remember when I saw the preview trailer for it originally I cringed because it somehow looked like it was incredibly cheap AND stretching their budget unbelievably. Despite that and the rather silly stuff with the monster in the glass case, the episode itself remains one of my favorites though. Something about the atmosphere and the sense of community just gives the entire thing a really uplifting feeling to me - it's about the best use of music I've heard in the revival.

To be fair though, the Master playing Scissor Sisters probably tops everything else :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think looking like a McCoy episode is part of the charm. :colbert:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

I think looking like a McCoy episode is part of the charm. :colbert:

Oh I love the McCoy era. I don't care what anyone says, Delta and the Bannermen is distilled, glorious insanity.

I think both me and PriorMarcus work in production, and half the fun is spotting where the money went, or conversely, didn't go. And Doctor Who is just ripe with stories of...problematic decisions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HD DAD posted:

and half the fun is spotting where the money went, or conversely, didn't go. And Doctor Who is just ripe with stories of...problematic decisions.

And in this case "the money" is whatever loose change JNT was able to scrounge out between the couch cushions while left in the waiting room for a meeting with the Head of Drama that ended up not happening because the Head forgot about it and went to lunch instead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
"Yes! I finally have enough to rent a circus tent! Wait, what do you mean asbestos?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
"Just hold your breath and walk away from the explosion. The insurance money will fund the next serial!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo that episode ruled!

The Incredible Shrinking TARDIS reminded me of Logopolis, Clara got to be the first female Doctor (ish), the Doctor picked up a couple of Clara's personality traits (like babbling while constantly correcting herself), we got an insight into Twelve's self loathing... just fantastic all around.

Keep givin' that man scripts. All the scripts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Alright, in this scene, we were supposed to have a huge battle, but we couldn't really get in the fight choreographers. McCoy, do you think you could say something indicating why the battle didn't take place?"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Clara got to be the first female Doctor (ish)

What about Doctor Donna?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Holy poo poo that episode ruled!

The Incredible Shrinking TARDIS reminded me of Logopolis, Clara got to be the first female Doctor (ish), the Doctor picked up a couple of Clara's personality traits (like babbling while constantly correcting herself), we got an insight into Twelve's self loathing... just fantastic all around.

Keep givin' that man scripts. All the scripts.

Babbling while correcting yourself was one of Tennant's, weelll Smith probably did it too, weelll I reckon he got the "weelll" thing from Tom Baker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Catch-1782 is an interesting story, one which dances around some pretty uncomfortable subject matter and relies heavily on the ability of Bonnie Langford of all people to carry the bulk of the story. She does a fine job with the role as written, but considering just how much emphasis is given to her, it's odd that she's also written in such a passive manner, one which really doesn't suit the (often grating) boisterous personality I'm more familiar with. While it's true that a significant amount of this can be explained away by the sedation she is almost constantly under, it does leave the story rather missing a central character for the audience to latch onto. Every character feels like they're in a supporting role, and while Mel is definitely supposed to be the central figure, she's written in so passive a manner as to make her feel more like a supporting character who the script accidentally ended up revolving around.

The Doctor intercepts Mel's mail and finds an invitation from her Uncle to attend a PR event for the institute he works for. Landing the TARDIS in her Uncle's study, they meet the man himself and his cat, and then attend the event where the Doctor delights in meeting up with some old colleagues. Mel, bored with the whole thing, is more interested in examining the family tree research her uncle has been doing, including the thrilling tales of the haunted estate that has been in their family for centuries and now serves as the location of the institute. Unfortunately for her, the prototype of a new alloy the institute has developed has been carelessly left in her uncle's study (what is this, early 70s Doctor Who!?!) and it's proximity to the TARDIS causes Mel to be hauled back in time to the year 1782. In the present, the Doctor observes the ceremonial burying of a time capsule which itself uncovers a previously buried chest containing.... the prototype alloy! To his distress he realizes that Mel has been sent back in time, and that given what her uncle knows of his family history, it may have been predestined to happen and Mel can never actually return to the present or her life of adventuring with the Doctor.

The premise is ripe with opportunity, and sadly I feel the story squanders it. Dealing with predestination paradoxes is always a worry because it is so easy to get tangled up in the cause and effect scenarios. It also calls into question free will and the agency of the characters, particularly the Doctor who - as I always stress - is a LORD of Time, not a servant of it. If anybody should ever scoff at the idea of being a slave to time it's him. On the other hand you have Mel getting caught up in a particularly unsavory situation which clashes pretty heavily with her loud, cheerful character, and she spends a lot of the episode feeling quite out of character. Bonnie Langford does well with the material, and with some rewriting it could have really given her character some much needed depth, but there is only so much she can do with a story that sees her either drugged up or waiting impatiently for the Doctor to come and get her. Like in The Juggernauts the story encompasses multiple months between Mel's forced separation from the Doctor and reunion, and coming so close together it rather stands out that she's now spent the better part of two years in only two adventures... I can kind of see why she decided to stick with Glitz now!

In the year 1781, Henry Hallam is still recovering from the death of his wife. When Mel unexpectedly appears in his house suffering amnesia (ugh) he becomes intrigued by her, to the consternation of his doting housekeeper Miss McGregor. Summoning his doctor friend to tend to her, Hallam readily agrees to let Mel stay in his house as she insists that the only thing she can remember is that she needs to stay put so "the Doctor" can come and save her. Growing increasingly obsessed with her and given the rather crude understanding of mental health at the time, Hallam thinks nothing of letting Dr. Wallace keep Mel drugged up with laudanum to calm her down when she grows agitated. Mistaking her name for Nel and assuming it is short for Eleanor, that is what he takes to calling her. Mel basically spends the next few months into 1782 drugged into a stupor which is really rather unsettling, particularly when Hallam later admits to wanting to "bed her", and Mel herself during a rare moment of clarity demands to know if he is the sort of person to take advantage of a comatose woman. It's rather grim and unsettling stuff for something like Doctor Who which rarely ventures into sexually aggressive territory, and at one point Hallam all but outright says he WILL rape her if she tries to leave the house ("should you attempt to leave, you would be lucky to escape this home with your virtue intact" or words to that effect).

It is good to see Henry Hallam very much being a product of his time however. Rather than just automatically having 21st Century values while happening to live in the 18th, he very much comes across as the entitled "Gentleman". He is charming and accommodating right up to the point that he doesn't get what he wants, at which point he becomes brutish and uncompromising, but the story is at pains to point out that he is also suffering his own misunderstood emotional/psychological issues - his grief over his dead wife has been repressed and is breaking out through his obsession with "Nel" and anger towards those who question him. When the Doctor finally arrives with Mel's uncle in tow (both Uncle John and Mel are related to Henry, making his lust for her all the more disturbing) and discover how late they are, the Doctor attempts to kindly suggest he can take Mel away to get the treatment she needs and Henry immediately loses his mind in a fit of paranoid accusations.

Unfortunately by this point in the story they're running out of time and the resolution boils down to Uncle John just walking back into the house to collect Mel thanks to a now accommodating and friendly Miss McGregor, who has spent most of the story being distrustful of Mel but now suddenly considers her warmly. Mel, despite having been in a stupor for so long, picks up on the fact that McGregor loves Henry. So we suddenly get Mel happily recommending the man who has held her effectively prisoner, drugged up and freshly threatening to rape her as worthy of pursuit and encouraging McGregor to go for it. She later explains to Uncle John that she realizes from cues she picked up in the past/present that McGregor is the mysterious woman in the painting that everybody presumed was Eleanor, of whom all explicit records were destroyed - that predestination doesn't really excuse her enthusiasm for seeing McGregor and the rather cruel Henry to get together though, even if she did suspect that McGregor would be good for him.

The Doctor has retrieved the alloy (again by just walking back into the house he was recently kicked out of) and once reunited with Mel, they bury it in the same place that the Doctor will see it unearthed in a couple of hundred years and return to their present with Mel apparently none the worse for wear after her traumatic experience. In 1782, Henry again flies into a fit of rage when he realizes Mel has gone, before the writing rather clumsily has him break down and finally admit how deep his grief over his first wife's death is. Dr. Wallace and Miss McGregor are resolute in their desire to help him recover, and in the present the Doctor and Mel suggest that they must have succeeded, and this is why all explicit records of Eleanor were destroyed, because a recovered Henry wanted to strip those memories of his unmanly grief/madness away.

So everything is wrapped up nice and neatly, but in a way that feels rather unsatisfying. There is still the unexplained source of all the many ghostly appearances that occurred across the centuries since 1782 of course, and I had half-expected a Hide-like explanation where the alloy had caused the drugged Mel to appear momentarily at various points throughout the house's history. Instead I guess we are meant to assume that the mundane possible explanations given at the start of the story for these incidents were accurate - a combination of imagination, misunderstandings, and pure laziness covered up by tall tales.

Catch-1782 is a neat premise executed competently that left me with a vague sense of dissatisfaction. There are disturbing sexual elements to the story that I found uncomfortable, but the relatively small cast allows for somewhat deeper characterization. Placing Mel in the central role would have worked a lot better if she wasn't written so passively, and the Doctor feels almost incidental to most of the story, mostly serving to get to 1782 and then back to the present, as well as locate the alloy. It's not a bad story but little about it jumps out to make it a must-listen - I wouldn't avoid it, but I also wouldn't go out of your way to listen to it either.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 23, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thexerox123 posted:

What about Doctor Donna?

Doctor who?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every race in the universe shows up looking for a rumble.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had to go down to a laundromat because the machines in our building are broken and I compulsively stay with the clothes to avoid theft, so I brought some Big Finish along and because I was in the middle of a part, I continued on the train ride this morning. I had been forgoing listening during my commute because I'd thought that ending in the middle of an episode would annoy me, but it actually doesn't much. I'm probably going to hear a lot more Big Finish over the next few weeks.

The story I'm listening to is Night Thoughts, which I'll refrain from commenting on until I hear the last fifteen minutes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My Big Finish listening strategy is usually an episode a day during my evening commute. It gets me through the start-and-stop of picking up through the city, and by the time the bus is on the Interstate, the episode’s over and I’m snoozing comfortably. It lets me get some listening time in without tuning out or getting bored/burned out.

I’ve only broken this rule for two stories which I blew through in one day’s worth of morning + evening commutes: The Chimes of Midnight and The Light at the End.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 23, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

My Big Finish listening strategy is usually an episode a day during my evening commute. It gets me through the start-and-stop of picking up through the city, and by the time the bus is on the Interstate, the episode’s over and I’m snoozing comfortably. It lets me get some listening time in without tuning out or getting bored/burned out.

I’ve only broken this rule for two stories while I blew through in one day’s worth of morning + evening commutes: The Chimes of Midnight and The Light at the End.

My commute is terribly inconsistent, ranging anywhere from 15 minutes to 40, depending on the graces of Lord Green Line, so it's not even necessarily enough to get a full episode in, or that would probably have been my strategy. I try not to complain, because it's oceans better than the 2 hours, 2 buses and 2 trains I used to have a few years ago.

Either way, if anyone on here takes public transit, Big Finish really is great for those kinds of in-between moments. You probably want to make sure it's from the stories after they got their sound balancing right so you're not "that guy" who has irritating, loud noises blasting out of their earbuds for the entire bus to hear, but it's wonderful for distracting you from your morning/evening grumpiness at pole-leaners, plus whoever your resident Guy Who Is a Bit Off And Wants to Talk is, he tends to leave you alone a bit more if you have headphones on.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Yeah, my evening commute is two hours – leave work at 4, catch the 4:20 bus, at the commuter lot by 6.

My Mom, of all people, gave me a pair of Beats Headphones because a friend of my Dad’s had 3 extra sets he wanted to give away. Aside from the hilarity of seeing my nearly 70 year old father fixing the engine of a 1973 Camaro with a pair of Beats by Dre while humming old Buddy Holly tunes, they really turned me on to how great a good pair of headphones can be versus a crappy set of earbuds if you’re doing a LOT of listening to audios and podcasts.

Beats are very expensive, you can get good headphones much cheaper. But hey, free Beats! From my Mom…

…crap, my Mom and Dad are going to turn into Cybus Cybermen, aren’t they?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I got Beats one christmas and they lasted about four months before one of the speakers just stopped working and the warranty policy didn't give a poo poo. Right in the middle of A Death in the Family, too!

They were presently deafening while they lasted, though!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

DoctorWhat posted:

I got Beats one christmas and they lasted about four months before one of the speakers just stopped working and the warranty policy didn't give a poo poo. Right in the middle of A Death in the Family, too!

They were presently deafening while they lasted, though!

amazing that's not covered by basic consumer protection law wherever you live

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have an old pair of closed-ear Sennheisers that work pretty well (they have noise blocking if you're willing to spend triple A battery, and they're both sturdy and small enough to live in a coat pocket when you're not using them). I can hear music (or Big Finish) quite clearly, and more importantly, after a lot of testing in which I took them off and put them next to my ears instead of on it, I have determined that I will not bother my fellow commuters with noise unless they are actually leaning on my head.

Which is good, because you don't want the young woman sitting next to you, clearly on her way to classes, to hear somebody screaming about the eyes being gouged out of a corpse. :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Which is good, because you don't want the young woman sitting next to you, clearly on her way to classes, to hear somebody screaming about the eyes being gouged out of a corpse. :v:

Let me tell you about the time a good friend thought it would be funny to change the ringtone on my phone to "Mulatto Butts" from Archer...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cerv posted:

amazing that's not covered by basic consumer protection law wherever you live

~living in america~

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In retrospect, the preview for Night Thoughts with McCoy saying "'Won't you step into my parlor,' said the spider to the fly" over and over again playing through earbuds, maybe accompanied by a huge Tom Baker grin, might get me some extra space during the rush hour.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

In retrospect, the preview for Night Thoughts with McCoy saying "'Won't you step into my parlor,' said the spider to the fly" over and over again playing through earbuds, maybe accompanied by a huge Tom Baker grin, might get me some extra space during the rush hour.

That drat line shows up at least twice a year in the Monthly Range alone, and has been doing so for what seems like forever. At this point it's like the Wilhelm scream, or a Transformers-fandom "Furmanism", to the point that it totally breaks me out of the story and I can hear it coming whole CD tracks ahead-of-time.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

That drat line shows up at least twice a year in the Monthly Range alone, and has been doing so for what seems like forever. At this point it's like the Wilhelm scream, or a Transformers-fandom "Furmanism", to the point that it totally breaks me out of the story and I can hear it coming whole CD tracks ahead-of-time.

This happened to me yesterday, actually. Giving Voyage to Venus a re-listen (Six + J&L? loving right!) and the "animal noises" that are supposed to be alien are some of the same stock animal noises from Ultima Online (which I played pretty much the entirety of my teen years). Not as common but it did pop up multiple times in that audio and it took me out of it every time.

Btw, DoctorWhat that recc for 1001 Nights was spot on. I absolutely loved that story (and the stories within the story, as it were). Boy, that audio doesn't go where you think it's going to - which is a good thing. Finished it in one day (doing yard work has its benefits, I suppose).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McGann posted:

This happened to me yesterday, actually. Giving Voyage to Venus a re-listen (Six + J&L? loving right!) and the "animal noises" that are supposed to be alien are some of the same stock animal noises from Ultima Online (which I played pretty much the entirety of my teen years). Not as common but it did pop up multiple times in that audio and it took me out of it every time.

Besides the i-phone alarm sound that has been used twice this season, the one that really takes me out of things, and is used in Doctor Who and just about every other television show, is a stock sound that is used for a rusty gate opening or shutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I usually walk to and from work, so I can generally fit in two episodes in a day, which works out quite nicely pacing wise, and then depending on how I feel I'll listen to between 1-3 stories a week paced out around other things I listen to. They're also a godsend in the gym, workouts go fast when you're listening to Paul McGann get amnesia or Colin Baker taking a voyage around the English language :allears:

• Locked thread