Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
How about if we saw a companion actually spend their whole life travelling with the Doctor, and we see them get old and die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Well I haven't seen any anti-vaxxers latching onto Children of Earth when the government was going to use 'vaccines' as the cover for kids being kidnapped and handed over to junkie aliens, so I guess we can hope this one gets overlooked and not used as ammunition by the wrong people. Or maybe in the finale the Doctor will say he was wrong, because it turns out that Missy, like the Master, is a Time Lord with mental illness that has gone off her meds.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Bicyclops posted:

I legitimately do not particularly care if they do this, especially since future writers can essentially just ignore it if they call him, say, Theta Sigma. How often do they bring up his half-human side, you know?

It also matter extraordinarily little.

My theory is it's actually just the Gallifreyan equivalent of John Smith.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Angela Christine posted:

Presumably. But what if there isn't a new set of biogenic molecules? Maybe it just changes a line of code from "regenerations=12" to "regenerations=24" and does nothing about the inevitable degradation. By the time you realize the problem you are knee deep in Space Alzheimer's and can't do anything about it.

Or maybe there are replacement biogenic molecules, but the experimental replacements just flat out aren't as good as the originals. That's why they don't give them to everyone. It works, but it is unstable. You could regenerate old, regenerate crazy, regenerate forgetful, or even regenerate as the wrong sex. :o

Regeneration uncertainty could put a meaningful fear of death back into the Doctor's life.

I liked the explanation from one of the Virgin New Adventures that they had a regeneration limit because after too many regenerations Time Lords started developing dis-associative identity disorder (multiple personalities).

• Locked thread