Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe it was a Gallifreyan boarding school.
That's just what I assumed it was and frankly the idea it might be an orphanage didn't even occur to me until it was mentioned in this thread, but I'm not a Doctor Who expert by any means so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought it was very unfair that only those who happened to be on the night-side of the earth during that 1.5 hours got a light-vote whether to kill the moon or not.

...And then those in power didn't listen to the decision of the people anyway, that's politics for you.
Maybe that was intended as a bit of clever, if a little late, social commentary on the Scottish independence referendum. Although the people of Scotland voted the "right way" fortunately, so it didn't have to come to that :v:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Autonomous Monster posted:

:crossarms:

If people could stop trying to spin the referendum as a "stolen" vote that'd be grand, ta.
Are there even any people seriously doing this at this point? Because if so, I can see how my joke might have come across as a little bit tasteless and I'm sorry. That being said, I probably still would have just gone ahead with it anyway :v:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

marktheando posted:

I don't know if I can articulate it too well, except to say that I like Danny, and the dynamic between him and the kids was fun.
Danny is a pretty good character in and of himself, and was basically the sole saving grace in this episode. I think I'd even go so far as to say he'd make a better companion than Clara Oswald. But I still just don't buy the romance between the two of them, it's just not there.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Sober posted:

The actual main plot this week could've used a couple more lookovers, but hey if Moffat was fine with it, who are we to argue? :effort:

The finale preview makes me kinda cringe, was kinda liking this (what I felt) experimental season which felt more like The Clara Show featuring The Doctor at times which I really liked. Time to go back to Moffat plot vomit for the finale though where they throw in wibbly wobbly timey whimey in to confuse everyone.

Seriously I don't care about the context but the "Clara Oswald never existed line" physically made me cringe.
So am I the only one who actually liked what they showed in the next episode preview? It looks to be a step up from this week's terrible episode, at least :smith:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

MisterBibs posted:

The kids said they wanna be with their parents, if I remember the time line right.
They do, but they're not aware yet at that point that they're going to die if they stay on earth. Honestly, there's just no salvaging this episode (or the moon-egg one), they are just some of the worst of the worst episodes of Doctor Who I've ever seen. Fortunately, this season also had some absolutely fantastic episodes too, so it's really been kind of a roller coaster in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's pretty much a feature of the revival. Even the seasons that tend to get regarded well (4 & 5, for the purposes of argument) have things like The Doctor's Daughter and the Silurian 2-parter.
While that's true, the effect seems to be a lot more pronounced than ever. For example, the two episodes immediately before this one have to be some of the best Who that's ever been put on TV, while this and the Moon Egg one comprise some of the worst poo poo they've ever managed to scrape off the bottom of the barrel, so they've really gone in for the furthest reaches of extremes this time around.

• Locked thread