Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, count me among those who thought Orson's name was actually "Awesome", and since it was Moffat, didn't even bat an eye at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Eiba posted:

So... is there anyone else who loves Capaldi in general, but is really tired of his constant putdowns of Clara?

I guess what bothers me is that they're not just generic insults... if he was just being oblivious and abrasive that'd be one thing. But when you have the exchange, "It's too late, you took your makeup off" "I'm still wearing makeup" "... Oh. Maybe you missed a spot" (or whatever he said, this is from memory), that's not just obliviousness, that's a bunch of expectations he's making her feel bad for not living up to.

I guess it's supposed to be absurd 'cause she's obviously attractive or something, but... for some reason that's not making it any better for me. Telling anyone that kind of stuff seems really lovely to me, and beneath the doctor. Even if the doctor's being a jerk. That's just... not a fun way to be a jerk.

I don't know, it might just be me. I thought the "you'll die in six months" joke from last episode was hilarious, even though, in retrospect, it was theoretically a lot more serious. I don't mind the doctor being abrasive, but constantly saying things to make Clara insecure is... not fun at all.

Remember, this is the same person who when instructed by his robot dog to let his companion make inquiries of the locals because "she is more attractive", he response was a befuddled "She is?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Why on earth would any of you guys want Blake's 7 remade anyway? You do realize that they'd ruin it, right? Be grateful for the two great and two okay seasons you got out of it which had consistent tone and characters, things that would never survive in a modern revival.

Big Finish brought it back and their first series was amazing. So just leave it to Big Finish.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Since we're on the subject of Big Finish again but it doesn't have its own thread, does anyone have any non-DW recommendations? The only one I have so far is Treasure Island but I haven't gotten around to actually listening to it yet. The Robin Hood stuff starring Richard Armitage looks particularly intriguing.

Two things to know about Treasure Island:

1) Tom Baker plays Long John Silver (but, of course, you know that)

and

2) Tom Baker plays Long John Silver's parrot. I repeat, TOM BAKER PLAYS A PARROT!

But other ranges, the Blake's 7 full cast range is amazing. The best thing after Doctor Who that they do. The 2099 AD range is awesome too, though you actually can't get all of them anymore. They stopped repressing the CDs, and not all the stories are available for download yet, but the ones that are available are worth it. Plus the 2099 stories featuring Strontium Dog star Simon Pegg as Johnny Alpha.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I have 2 9 hour drives coming up, and thought I should listen to some Who. I'm looking for suggestions.

Who-wise, I'm very familiar with the new series, but have never gotten into the older stuff.

Audio-wise I used to listen to audio books a lot. So if there's an awesome book with a good audio version I could do that. I've also listened to and enjoyed a lot of old bbc radio shows so I'm down with whatever style.

My favourite books to listen to are ridiculous action comedy things like Douglas Adams and Christopher Moore.

Also I'd prefer not crazy expensive ones in case I hate them in general I'm not out too much.

Well, if you like Douglas Adams, get Shada, by Douglas Adams, starring Paul McGann and Lalla Ward.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/shada-451

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Waterhouse actually just did a series of audios as Adric with Five/Nyssa/Tegan. I’m saving them for when this season is over and I crave my first “crap, I need new Who” fix.

Don't wait. Get them NOW. "Iterations of I" is amazing. It is also surprising humorous.

Jerusalem posted:

I will be thrilled if they're able to actually capture the "family" feel of that era (a fractured, arguing and grumpy family!) without the struggles the show had with finding something for everybody to do (especially Nyssa!).

You do know that this will be the fifth series/trilogy of audios featuring this gang, right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The production is rough and it goes too long (which I think you can say about 90% of the original series :v: ), but I kind of like Planet of the Spiders. At the very least having creepy giant spider puppets jump onto people's backs was memorable. And the regen scene is terrific. I also liked that trip back to Metabelis 3 where the giant spiders were being jerks and shoving people around; I kind of want to see them return as a villain.

You can cut about twenty minutes from that chase scene, though.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-eight-truths-537
http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/worldwide-web-538

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

I wonder if the theme is going to be that the person who is with the Doctor when he regenerates is "imprinted" on him so he becomes jealous if they pay attention to someone else? You can make that case for his fixation on Amy and Rose with the last two regenerations, certainly. It does lend some credence to the "negging" theory, much as I hate to say that.

Also, did anyone else have flashbacks to Frobisher standing in front of the 456 case in Children of Earth when 12 was in front of that fogged up glass cage containing The Teller? :allears:

More like he's seeing what happens when companions start having a life outside of him, and he's just worried about being alone.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The shadow proclamation being three people in a clean room with a desk was pretty much the biggest anticlimax it could be. Even considering that the whole thing was a throwaway line in Rose.

The sad thing is RTD had grand plans for that scene. Every monster, practical and CGI, that had been in the series at that point, and maybe even some classic monsters, were going to populate that scene. They had even contracted Anne Badland to voice the Slithleen, when he was told that they wouldn't be able to afford what he wanted to do.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I think they're actually planning for the finale to be a two-parter.

I thought the Jamie Mathieson eps were the 2-parter?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

I did not enjoy this.

Mind you part of that is my frothing rage at how the Doctor treated Danny. gently caress you Doctor, remember the Brig? What did HE do after he retired for the first time? Oh right BECAME A TEACHER YOU FUCKHEAD.

Well, to be fair, the Fifth Doctor couldn't quite believe the Brig was teaching maths either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The best bit was the Doctor thinking he looks the same age as Clara.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

You know what my other beef with this episode is? The Doctor's shirt. Good God, that's a hideous shirt.

Sort it out, Doctor.

THANK YOU. It looked like a blouse, and made him look like an old woman. Thank goodness he was in a space suit for the rest of the episode.

ewe2 posted:

In the BF audios his character hasn't that triumphant moment either really. But that's not the point, we were never given the idea that there would be one and I'm wondering why people are expecting it now.

Listen to Robophobia.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Thank god they didn't mention that the moon was originally a giant floating space rock that when it came into our orbit it knocked Earth's twin planet Mondas out its orbit and took its place.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I found this map of Mondas!

There's something familiar about it, but all the world's scientists can't seem to figure out what...

Edit: I've got it! Mondas is Middle-Earth!

It does explain why they keep attacking it...

Here, see what I wrote on this piece of paper!

The First Doctor, the worst magician ever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Next up on "Who wears it better?: Stetson Edition". Is it the Eleventh Doctor?

or

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dark-eyes-3---individual-covers-revealed

"Hello, you."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You know, it's funny, while watching Mummy, I thought for a moment what if Capaldi was actually the Master pretending to be the Doctor? Kind of like Alex McQueen in UNIT: Dominion?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

because someone built a TARDIS for NYCC and I had the opportunity

Want to make it really accurate? Put an obvious CSO planet behind it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Anyone who has ordered physical copies from Big Finish: Around how long does it take for a CD to arrive to the US?

Couple of weeks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does a dalek beam not deliver instant death then?

No. The Daleks can use it to stun as well, as they did with Ian in the first story, paralyzing his legs temporarily.

Fred is on posted:

An idea that occured to me recently:

Missy -> Mistress -> The Master is a woman now

Really makes you think............

Not according to one forum I lurk at.

See, most of them are convinced that Missy actually means "Missing Episodes" and the Promised Land is their return.

Which is why series 8 has been peppered heavily with references to them. "Fish People" is obviously a reference to "The Underwater Menace". Remember that shot of the Doctor sitting on top of the TARDIS, floating above the Earth? Obviously a reference to the "Macro Polo" episode "The Roof of the World". Remember that blouse Clara was wearing that was patterned with eyes? No? Doesn't matter, that was obviously a shout-out at another "Marco Polo" episode, "The Cave of Five Hundred Eyes". Remember in "Into The Dalek", the Doctor had a line like "Up or down, it doesn't matter [sic]"? That's a quote from "The Power of the Daleks"! The poster for "Kill the Moon" had the tagline "A mission to the unknown". What's another missing episode? "Mission to the Unknown." Plus, they had space suits on while walking on the moon's surface, just like in "The Moonbase"!

How many episodes are purported to be found? Either 96 or 97. Remember in The Caretaker, when the Doctor and Clara were arguing over that Jane Austin publication date? What were those years? 96 and 97!
The signs are all there! The Doctor had jelly babies in the last episode, and Troughton originated the jelly babies! The Doctor had adopted Hartnell-like mannerisms. What more proof do you need?

And remember this exchange from "Mummy on the Orient Express" (emphasis THEIRS)

quote:

Perkins: It's quite a vehicle you have here Doctor. I won't pretend to understand half of it. Having said that, I did notice you've got a couple of drive stacks need replacing
The Doctor: Oh you did, did you?
Perkins: You should get someone in, and a job like that takes forever
The Doctor: Really? Well I suppose whoever I did get in... might be easier to have them just stay on board for a while.... I don't suppose you'd know of anyone?
Perkins: No... sorry Doctor, I don't think I do. That job could... change a man
The Doctor: Yes it does, frequently

& later after Perkins departs

Clara: Do you love it?
The Doctor: Love what?
Clara: I know it's scary and difficult. Do you love being the man making the impossible choice?
The Doctor: Why would I?
Clara: Because it's what you do. All day, every day
The Doctor: It's my life
Clara: Doesn't have to be. Is it like... an addiction?
The Doctor: You can't really tell if something's an addiction until you try and give it up
Clara: And you never have
The Doctor: Let me know how it goes

& after Clara talks by phone to Danny

Clara: As long as you get me home safe, and on time everything is great. I'm so sorry, I've had a wobble, it's a big wobble but it's fine, forget about it.

That exchange between the Doctor and Perkins had no bearing on the plot (according to the forum), so it's blatant that it's about the man who's been hunting for the missing episodes for years.

See? The entirety of series 8 is about nothing but the search and recovery of the missing episodes! Wake up sheeple!

"But Davros1," you say. "What about everything else, all the other references to non-missing stuff, like 'The Empty Child', or 'Carnival of Monsters'?"

Just ignore those. Don't pay attention to them. Just look at all the cherry picked stuff that's forced to fit the theory. That's what you need to pay attention to!

In other words, people be crazy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BSam posted:

Have many of you guys heard the Jago and Litefoot audios? I'm halfway through series 3 and they've really started being crazy good. Like even more than they already were.

They're drat good. Waiting for my delivery of Series 8. Also, there's two specials with the Sixth Doctor, their episode in the recently released "The Worlds of Doctor Who", the Fourth Doctor audio "The Justice of Jalxar", and of course, the Companion Chronicle "The Mahogany Murderers", which kicked off the whole shebang.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish has also scheduled the "series" for most of next year:

Jan, Feb, March: Fifth Doctor, Tegan, Turlough, and Nyssa.

April: Seventh
May: Six (and the Cybermen)
June (number 200!): Fifth

Unsure if this trilogy is connected or not.

July, Aug, Sept 1: Seventh and Mel!

Sept 2, Oct, Nov: Sixth and new girl Constance.

Dec: TBA

Jan, Feb, March 2016: Fifth, companions TBA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Flatline gifs

"Uh, Doctor, BOTH doors open."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Brett824 posted:

They're never going to bring back the Valeyard, it's been 30 years you can let it go.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/trial-of-the-valeyard-929

After this, I doubt anyone can top Michael Jayston.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I didn't even notice. When did it sound?

When the TARDIS was on the rails.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It's more that the BBC would kindly suggest "Hey, we're actually planning on using those characters, would you mind holding off?" and even if they did not wield the legal authority to just tell Big Finish to hold off, Big Finish is the goofy, forgotten little brother who would just say "Sure, buddy!"

Actually, Big Finish has to submit all their storylines to the BBC/Who production office for approval. Ignoring their directives would result in a loss of license.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Everyone should watch Deep Space Nine.

Siddig was also Captain Nemo in the Six/Jamie trilogy.

And a alien insect cop in "Sisters of the Flame/Vengeance of Morbius"

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/sisters-of-the-flame-529

That's him on the cover with Lucie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McGann posted:

This happened to me yesterday, actually. Giving Voyage to Venus a re-listen (Six + J&L? loving right!) and the "animal noises" that are supposed to be alien are some of the same stock animal noises from Ultima Online (which I played pretty much the entirety of my teen years). Not as common but it did pop up multiple times in that audio and it took me out of it every time.

The two worst for me was in the Lost Story "The Elite" where the computer bank sound effects were, I swear, from Atari's Pac-Man. (Maybe they were just trying to really recreate the 80's for this LS?). The second was the sound effect used when the Doctor uses a hologram device to go undercover among insect aliens in "Valhalla". BF used some sort of weird modulation on their voices, a buzzing sound, that almost made me physically ill. Serious, the sound was legitimately making me sick.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Suck it up and buy the hard copies

quote:

Larry Miles posted:
The "Doctor Who" special has made me feel like a 13-year-old again! Because in the week of my thirteenth birthday, they showed "Timelash".

Lawrence Miles wrote "Interference" and "The Adventuress of Henrietta Street". He is in no position to criticize any one else's writings.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure Sesame Street has also had actual child psychologists and other education consultants involved in its production for (at least) a large part of its broadcast history. I don't know if Doctor Who does or has as well.

It had Robert Holmes. Whose mantra was "let's scare the little buggers."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did Dark Eyes 3 get delayed? I could have sworn Big Finish's site originally said October. Whatever. It gives me time to relisten to 1 and 2 again.

It may have been, but it's been Nov for a long time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

A Good Man Goes To War is a good episode because it reaffirms that Rory is a badass.

I was seriously hoping Centurion Rory was going to rescue Amy from the Headless Monks and Madame K by showing up with a platoon of Cybermen at his command.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cover to series NINE of Jago and Litefoot is up, and good dear lord it's beautiful:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/jago-litefoot-series-9---stories-and-a-new-date

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TinTower posted:

outpostgallifrey.png

I've mentioned a forum I lurk at where the discuss/argue about the rumor of the missing episodes. The one thing they all seem in consensus is that EVERY single episode of Nu Who is the worst thing ever, isn't "real Who" and that EVERY episode of the classic series is the BEST THING EVER. Yes, even The Dominators.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Out of curiosity, I won't mention it by name but is this a forum with a mind-numbingly stupid "you have to use your IRL name" rule?

No, and I don't know what SA's rules are to providing links to other forums and whatnot, but a clue I can give is it's named after the homeworld of some stompy cyborgs.

Also, Ian Levine told another poster to kill himself on that forum.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 4, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Surely the one thing to agree on is easy:

It's bigger on the inside.

It's smaller on the outside :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Presumably. But what if there isn't a new set of biogenic molecules? Maybe it just changes a line of code from "regenerations=12" to "regenerations=24" and does nothing about the inevitable degradation. By the time you realize the problem you are knee deep in Space Alzheimer's and can't do anything about it.

Or maybe there are replacement biogenic molecules, but the experimental replacements just flat out aren't as good as the originals. That's why they don't give them to everyone. It works, but it is unstable. You could regenerate old, regenerate crazy, regenerate forgetful, or even regenerate as the wrong sex. :o

Regeneration uncertainty could put a meaningful fear of death back into the Doctor's life.

Listen to "Trial of the Valeyard" from BF if you want horrifying stories of regeneration uncertainties.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nice review, though you made one little mistake.

The title isn't "Unregenerate". It's "Unregenerate!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

Also, CyberBrig flys off into the sky, no bright explosion like the rest, so there's hope for a future appearance...

e: or dread, if it might be thrown together again.

With a mustache.

And a normal Cyberman pretending to be CyberBrig could have an eyepatch.

And wasn't there a leaked shot of Amy and Rory's tombstone earlier this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

Another preview for the christmas episode. It's basically a single scene from what looks like the beginning part of the episode.

Spoilers obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsxEenCBRG0

Nice to see Starkey in a role out of the Strax makeup.

• Locked thread