Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't know if I'm entirely optimistic about this evening's episode, but we'll see.

I've hated this episode since before it was written.

What do I win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm American and I heard "Awesome," too. I don't know when the Brits forgot how to speak, but that's just embarrassing.

Everybody spoke so nice in the old serials. :sigh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A cloister is where monks live and Christians are way into bells. Hence, cloisters often had bells, and there were called "cloister bells."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I am routinely triggered by Doctor Who.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just agree with him so he'll stop complaining for a week.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

AndyElusive posted:

Everyone was all stoked we were going to get a darker meaner Doctor with Capaldi and now people aren't down with his insults because they suddenly like Clara a lot more.

The turnaround in Clara is the best.

Series 7: "Ugh, Clara is the worst. She has no personality and I hope she dies."

Series 8: ":qq: The Doctor made a dumb joke about Clara's makeup. WHY IS HE BEING SO MEAN TO THE BEST COMPANION OF ALL TIME?? :qq:"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

I have no problem with the Doctor insulting Clara. It's the fact that in every episode they've been obnoxious comments about her looks. Call her headstrong and brash, call her abrasive, call her high strung, call her a know-it-all.

Great, another misogynist who wants to tear down a woman for showing drive, initiative and leadership qualities. #banbossy When will men realize that women are made of porcelain and that any criticism, no matter how slight, will shatter their fragile egos, and thus tantamount to assault?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

That isn't what I did. At all. I pointed out that people kept raging on the topic being broached, and that the conversation would be long over if people could just let "that was a bit sexist" lie there instead of arguing about it, then blaming the people they're arguing with for starting the argument that they, themselves, started.

I think people are mainly railing against the assertions that:
1) Moffat is a misogynist because he wrote a joke goons didn't like/understand.
2) Putting down a woman's appearance is an issue of historical relevance and not just some silly windmill SJWs like tilting at.

If people could be reasonable and make statements like "I don't think the Doctor's comments are coming off the way Moffat intended them. They feel really mean-spirited" instead of "MISOGNY! MISOGYNY! DERP DERP DERP!" you wouldn't have this kind of push-back.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

josh04 posted:

Yes, if only people could be reasonable and not use accurate words to describe things so as to protect the feelings of people who are emotionally invested in what 'SJWs' think.

Except they're not accurate. People are using politically loaded terms to describe personal opinions. Its almost like they don't have the ability to communicate their opinions and feelings without trying to paint things they don't like as "evil" or "hateful." Moffat is a guy who thinks he's more clever than he actually is, not some woman-hating monster using a children's science fiction show to express his contempt for woman-kind. Seriously, if you substituted every sincere instance of "misogynist" or "misogyny" in this thread with "didn't like," it would be a much more civil and productive place to discuss Doctor Who.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm extremely reluctant to accuse him of being some kind of full-on MRA, malevolent, Elliot Rodger-type misogynist.

I applaud your restraint in not equating a television writer you don't like to a mass murderer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Noxville posted:

it's really difficult to read these constant put-downs as being anything different. It's been present in every episode this season and hasn't really been in the past, and it's kind of hosed.

It really isn't that hard to think of alternative explanations unless you're a complete idiot. Which, coincidentally, you are.

Don't worry, though. Because I'm a nice guy, I'm going help you get smarter. Ask yourself:
1. What is different between this season and last season that might result in a change in the Doctor's personality?
2. What qualities would you use to describe this Doctor as opposed to the last one? (ie brash, petulant, rude)
3. What does the presence of those qualities say about this Doctor as compared to the last one?

If you ask yourself those questions and still come up with "dur, abusive relationship," congratulations, you're still an idiot. However, you're an idiot who's taken the first step to thinking critically, so give yourself a pat on the back.

Little_wh0re posted:

Theres a word for sexist towards women tho, so people should use that.

Sexist towards women, or being rude towards a woman?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Android Blues posted:

The part of her I think is un-feminist is that dynamic characterisation being undermined until she's just a lonely Doctor groupie desperate for his attention.

The Wedding of River Song is all about River not wanting to murder the Doctor, and being forced to deal with the guilt and feelings of powerlessness she had in that situation. Post-Wedding, she's sad because she knows that the Doctor is going through a period of extreme loneliness and isolation, and there's nothing she can do to help him through it.

At what point is she a groupie?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"I don't see it" isn't a counterargument to anything. The only actual discussion you can have about it is along the lines of what LiquidLivid has been posting - going into the theory, societal effect and that kind of thing. The discussion shares a lot of similarities with Creationism vs Evolution; it's really really easy to argue for Creationism by saying "I just don't think that happens" and then leaving the other side to give an abridged version of the argument of a whole field of work.

Is it any wonder why people don't take your opinions seriously when you have yet to address a single argument of the opposition? Every post you make literally dismisses everybody who disagrees with you as wrong, not for any reason, but because they can't possibly be right in your demented view of the world.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

Jenna's right eye is higher than her left eye.

Now I can't unsee it you monster!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm guessing the bearded guy in War Games is supposed to be The Master despite never being named.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This season has a lot of what the show has been lacking since the end of season 5: fun. Some of the plots may not stand up to the highest degree of scrutiny, but they're fun little romps nonetheless.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

RunAndGun posted:

No fun episodes since S5?

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?
Closing Time?
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe?

Isn't Closing Time smack dab in the middle of 11's abloo bloo tour of the galaxy?

And Robots was this season, hence "this season."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

• And lastly, I'm a gay dude but Coleman's fashion this episode was eye catching (though I'm one of those douchebags who doesn't like women in heels because double-standards rant here.)

As a gay dude, do you often respond to women who dress in men's clothing?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

gently caress off, you microcephalic, manure-covered mockery of a man. All you seem to do is hit-and-run swipes at posters whenever - I have to assume - the crushing pointlessness of your continued existence drives you to fits of manic, mediocre malevolence.

You're very mean for a clown.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Since when does getting upset at a joke make you right? Heck, I even managed to avoid pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of that guy using feminism to justify his criticism of Clara's shoes, as if he were doing women a favor by complaining about heels.

(I also refrained early from pointing out the hypocrisy of the guy who claimed he was a good feminist for hating River Song, but that's neither here nor there.)

I feel like my heroism in the face of stupidity should be lauded, not ridiculed.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

You've got no reserves of "good faith" in this thread; I hope sincerely that that situation will change, but I'm not optimistic.

I wasn't aware good faith was a prerequisite to a free and open discussion. You're certainly free to think whatever you want about me, but let's be honest here: the only reason you won't address my substantive comments is because you know I'm right. Its a lot easier to shut down a discussion by telling a person to 'gently caress off' or saying they lack 'good faith' than it is to engage your middling intellect in an honest debate with someone who is both smarter and more articulate than you are.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah. As much as I liked the episode, it would be nice if Moffat could tell a story without constantly jumping back and forth in time (narratively) for no reason. Doctor Who is not Sherlock, Moffat. Stop it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

The only jump back was near the end. There was a jump forward after he picked up the phone but that was it.

I'm mainly complaining about the Clara/Pink scenes from the last couple of episodes.

Cut to Clara at home.
Cut to Clara spilling wine on Pink.
Cut to Clara checking her messages.
Cut to Clara calling Pink a baby killer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ashez2ashes posted:

It's got to be the clothing department. They were probably just told 'heist outfit' and not that it was supposed to be a date outfit originally.

Maybe Pink has an English school girl fetish.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People constantly falling for the Daleks' ploys is the one gag that will never get old.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

I didn't even know it was big enough of a thing to be cliche.

The afterlife as bureaucracy? Oldest joke in the book.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually like Capaldi a lot more than I liked Eleven at the end of his run. He has a fresh energy that's been sorely lacking since the fifth season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The British equivalent of Susan B Anthony is rolling in her grave.

edit: Margaret Thatcher, I guess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

:drat:

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you have the colour version of this too?

Its literally a screen cap from the video posted above.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 3, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

vegetables posted:

But it's awful as a moral even if the analogy doesn't exist. The analogy just sort of takes it to a new level of horrible.

"The right to choose is only valid when the right choice is made."

Goons, on abortion rights.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rochallor posted:

I think this season is great so far and I really liked this episode, but I'm not quite seeing the all-time classic that some people are already calling it. It seems the thread has definitely been a little cooler (though not negative, really). Is there anybody in this thread who feels this way and wants to give it a go?

All-time classic isn't that high a hurtle to jump. There are a ton of enjoyable episodes that nevertheless lack the right combination of elements to make them "classics." As for Kill the Moon, I think its a good episode, but it doesn't have any tonal variation to it. It starts dire and ends dire. It would have been better if it started off like The Beast Below with a lighter tone in the first act before introducing the heavier and more dramatic poo poo in the second.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
When I get stressed I forget my anger management.

Haha, Clara would rather put the kids down than deal with their grief.

Clara Oswald: Teacher of the Year

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

If the story was framed so that the kid was making predictions without the mysterious forest appearing you'd have more of a point.

The story was framed by the kid being told by her tree sister to see the Doctor. It was clear from their first interaction that the girl was not crazy, but hearing actual voices.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jet Jaguar posted:

My wife asked me how I liked the episode at lunch, and then I think she was sorry she'd asked once I started talking about how disappointed I was for much of it.

Well, you knew she had low standards when she married you.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

Sandifer's early work was a major formative influence on how I think about media and society. The phrase "it opened my eyes" is a tremendous cliche, but it's the best way of describing it. (Pre-Survival) TARDIS Eruditorum, Jack Graham's Shabogan Graffiti, and [everything Rob Shearman has ever written] all helped me develop my critical thinking skills and social awareness.

:golfclap:

You had me till this post. Good show. You just pushed my credulity a little too far.

(I'm man enough to admit when I've been fooled)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Weight or value

Either is kinda sad unless he forgot to add at the end "in a box in my parent's basement from when I was a child."

Edit: Not saying Legos are bad, per se. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon than engaging in an mindlessly simplistic children's activity. The problem with Legos is that you're paying a lot of money to build this stupid thing once and then.. what? What do you do with a lego set once its finished? Stare at it like the chimp who discovered fire? What's the loving point? Buy Minecraft if you want to play with blocks. Its cheap and doesn't clutter your apartment/house with toys that make you look like a pedophile.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 27, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Seventh Doctor is the best Doctor because he's always prepared for rain.

McGann posted:

vvvv Sorry about the effort post response to a troll, but I was a philosophy major (pointless degree btw) and this poo poo is fun for me, even if I sound heated I still would love to debate with you Irish Joe but you gotta put a little more effort into the logic behind your statements.

My statements don't have a solid throughline because I genuinely don't understand the appeal of Legos. Its not so much the enjoyment of it (I get that its a mindless activity after a hard day's work), but the cost/benefit ratio of it. Spending $35 dollars for a half hour of enjoyment, and then being left with the clutter of the completed lego kit, seems crazy to me. Why not take that time and money and put it towards building furniture, something people actually use and has actual value?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

So I'm getting married tomorrow. What advice does the thread have for me?

You're not funny, so don't try to be. You're going to be showing your kids photos of your wedding in 20 years, the last thing you want to do is explain why you pointed a glowing pen at the priest.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

"Well my hatred of a female Master is really about ethics in gaming journalism."

"I think it's sexist that the first female Master is evil."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What a weirdly dark and dissonant finale to end an otherwise fun and lighthearted season.

• Locked thread