Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

I love how much Capaldi has done so far to stress the Doctor's alienness. It's not that he's trying to be a dick, he just doesn't understand the basic niceties that normal human beings have come to embrace as essential during interaction.

There's quite a bit of Tom Baker's doc there- that sense that he just doesn't react to things the way humans do.

I quite liked this one, and actually enjoyed some of the structural weirdness- it wasn't yet another "here's a terrifying conceptual monster", it starts as a traditional "spooky" episode but goes on to explore weirder territory, and ends with a fairly strong assertion about a core element of the Doctor's character (he's compelled to explore the unknown because he's scared by it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

You know, there were a lot of things wrong with Colin and Peri's bickering phase, but the thought does occur that the dialogue given to them was of a completely different kind to the dialogue Capaldi gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=910Rpcvu-jc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3yizkdMKw

Colin's spiky and he's rude at far greater length than Capaldi is, and you may well find that you have to to develop your own explanation of why she's even travelling with such an unpleasant person, but despite being rude and unpleasant to his companion for an entire series, he never that I can recall goes to "Hahaha you're ugly and unattractive" (apart from that one bit in Mindwarp where he's specifically trying to save her from a hideous fate by playing on the villain's prejudices) to demonstrate that.

The basic problem- and one of the major struggles Colin's Doc had with audiences- was that they jumped straight to "strangling Peri and then trying to force her to come be a hermit with him" in the first story, and though they chalked it up to regenerative trauma, it colored the whole relationship such that they were fighting 100% of the time and there was no real picture of why they were together.

Doc 12 and Clara, however, I think have a much better balance in their relationship- he needles her and doesn't behave appropriately, but there's a better sense of his vulnerability and need for her to keep him on the good path.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like the intro and the new theme (if only because the opening beat isn't obscured by the orchestra anymore.) The clocks are a bit obvious but it does get across the basic idea of "space & time".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Brett824 posted:

This Adric kid is making me want to stop watching 5th doctor serials.

The payoff is worth it.

I was glad to have a goofy sci-fi romp of an episode, which is an itch the new season hadn't quite scratched yet. Cool monster and a nice (if somewhat predictable) ending, likable characters, a solid entry.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Having just watched this week's episode, I thought it was really good but felt like it should have been a two parter.

I can see that adding some character development but I'm not sure how you'd really sustain the tension of the story that long.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I thought there was a lot of fun character stuff from everyone in this one.

Capaldi's Doctor is clearly one that could hang with Rick from Rick and Morty.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the Doctor knowing he was a soldier plays into his mistrust of them. Remember he's still not sure of being a good person.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think I may have to bow out of this thread. I liked this episode, like this season, think Capaldi's Doctor is an interesting shift and bringing some real tough character conflict in. But here it's "not even the Moffatt apologists can defend this one".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I had to Google the name to know who he was. He produced music for the show?

What'd he do to be so hated?

His music erred on the side of OTT and got reused a lot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Noxville posted:

I am legitimately surprised at how good that episode was... 'Mummy on the Orient Express' is not a title that instils confidence. Easily the best of the season so far.

Yeah I was scared that it'd be Voyage of the Damned all over again but that mid-episode twist was a doozy.

Helps that Capaldi and Coleman killed it. Good range of emotions from both of them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That was a fun one. It felt like some of the development for the non-main characters was cut for time (the train conductor for one), but eh, it all worked and was all fun. Loved the bit with Clara pulling a sledgehammer out of nowhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I listen to stories at one go at work, and then let them drift into my generic playlist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Super.Jesus posted:

So basically, these cybermen are hosted on THE CLOUD instead of having their brainy bits in their heads. This is made possible by a clever integration of Gallifreyan tech. They've just become Cylons.

(I am ok with this)

Also they're now walking skeletons, which is cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The structure was a bit off but I liked how it wound up. Fitting departure for Clara- dark but played like the end of a relationship rather than the more deathlike departures of Doomsday, Journey's End, Angels Take Manhattan etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think they missed an opportunity when The Master wasn't killed by five shots in quick succession.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

surc posted:

Well, what a bad season of Doctor Who that was. THANKS TERRIBLE COMPANION AND TERRIBLE, WEIRD NATIONALISTIC YOU-CAN-BE-THE-PERFECT-GUY-IF-YOU'RE-A-SOLDIER-TOO COMPANION ROMANCE.

You didn't cotton to how Pink was haunted by shooting a little kid as a direct result of his soldiering?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I loved the interaction between Capaldi and Coleman. Coleman I'm gonna miss because as sketchily defined as Clara could be, she brought this great energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Adams wasn't happy with how The Pirate Planet turned out, because to him it felt like everyone went "this is a comedy, so we've got to do the funny voices and silly walks"- it's played very broad and doesn't always work as a result (the first episode cliffhanger is particularly awkward.) But it's fairly imaginative and entertaining regardless.

• Locked thread