Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This and the next one are directed by Douglas Mackinnon. Loved his direction in The Power of Three, was kinda meh on his take on Cold War. Let's see how this goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

McDragon posted:

The hiding thing. I don't care what anyone says, there was definitely a Thing. Gonna call him Wally.

Yeah, they were still pretty ambiguous about whether there was a "thing" at all or not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Plavski posted:

No loving way that's a kid. That's a monster. Hell, it looks a bit like a baby Silence.

I love how that's the only split second glimpse we get of that thing.

And that thing is definitely not human.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

Now he'll never know if he was right.

*Credits roll over static shot of broken chalk*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Eh, I just chalk it up to Twelve just being a massive dick sometimes. An immature, mean-spirited, stubborn rear end in a top hat who will eventually Learn To Love over time.

Actually that sounds a bit familiar...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Twelve is kind of a gently caress up so far, isn't he? He feels like he gets things wrong more than most of his incarnations, and just backs it up with rudeness and being oblivious to what's going on around him.

Mind you, I like this approach. He's trying so hard to be something, but he's stumbling a lot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nuzak posted:

she's quite talkative and forthright as well, but shows it more realistically than Donna, who demonstrated her opinions by being loud and talking rubbish very quickly. If it weren't for the previous season of bollocks I'd say she's the most down to earth and realistic character of new who.

Correct. I don't know whether it's Moffat actually listening to criticism of her character last series, or if it's since we're not dealing with the Impossible Girl stuff anymore she has more room to breathe, but she has quickly shot toward the top in my mind.

The only thing I'd add to her, and this could apply to any companion in the series, would be to seem more...affected by what she sees when she's out with the Doctor. I dunno, I feel like if I saw sentient monster suns and people getting disintegrated by robo-antibodies, I'd end up staring blankly at a wall for ages trying to wrap my head around it all. But you could also argue she's just used to it now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jivjov posted:

Honestly the biggest part of the problem is that the 6 month break was part of that narrative. The Doctor says he's going to go out searching for Melody and find her and keep her safe and etc etc, and then the very next episode that whole thing is resolved.

It kinda works if you give Moffat the conceit that the Doctor was off doing exactly that for 6 months (or at least trying to find her), but when you watch the series in one go, there's no weight to it at all.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Moffat didn't throw Mels into the picture earlier in the season. Like, if you are going to pull the X character was Y all along! trick, don't introduce them in the same episode. I will forgive a lot of what some might classify as bad writing, but jesus christ that was inexcusable.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Broadly speaking, I'd put it like this -

Series 1 - very good
Series 2- very bad (probably worst series of revival)
Series 3- half good, half bad
Series 4 - a bit good, mostly bad
Specials - all bad (yes, even WoM)
Series 5 - best so far
Series 6 - massive highs but far worse lows
Series 7 - deeply mediocre
Series 8 - not very good so far

Sometimes I think we timeshare a brain.

Ooh lists. I like lists.

Series 1 - Weird. Not good or bad. Just...really weird and unsure of itself.
Series 2 - The worst so far.
Series 3 - Half amazing, half I'd like to forget.
Series 4 - Very, very good.
Specials - All awful except for WoM.
Series 5 - Excellent
Series 6 - 10 excellent episodes, 3 so bad they retroactively make the entire series taste funny.
Series 7 - Aggressively mediocre. Like, TNG Season 7 mediocre. Like, "I'm not sure if I watched an episode of Doctor Who or stared at my blank TV for 45 minutes" mediocre.
Series 8 - So far, very good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like how both medieval robot knights and the most secure bank in the galaxy both use my iPhone alarm clock sound as their security klaxon.

e: also a fan of the same corridor o' many colors.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 20, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jng2058 posted:

Overall I'm liking this season, but not loving it. Nothing's passed the Rewatch Test for me. That's when I like an episode so much that I immediately (or as close to as immediately as possible) rewatch it. There were a ton of Smith episodes like that for me. Off the top of my head, I think The Eleventh Hour, The Pandorica Opens, The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Impossible Astronaut (though not Day of the Moon, oddly enough), The Doctor's Wife, A Good Man Goes to War, and of course, Day of the Doctor. Tennant had a few, Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, Turn Left, Blink, Human Nature and Family of Blood. For all that I enjoyed Eccleston in the role, none of his episodes passed the Rewatch Test for me, and sadly, neither have any of Capaldi's so far.

That isn't to say that I've disliked this season per say, just that nothing's really grabbed me yet. Time Heist was fine. It was reasonably entertaining, but nothing that made me sit up and take notice. Good Who, moving on. I just hope that somewhere in this season I can find an episode that passes the Test, ya know?

I go by the same test, and personally Into the Dalek, Listen, and Time Heist were all re-watches for me. Last series, I think only Hide piqued my interest.

There's also a subtle tone shift this series, and I can't quite put my finger on it, aside from the new Doctor smell.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'd just like a lot of smaller stories in general. A lot of the pomp and "this is the most x in the y" can be generally done away with. Listen was a step in the right direction.

I'm really just a sucker for character study bottle episodes. Do a Shuttlepod One in the TARDIS.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Thought the characters could be developed more and I thought that the setting and premise was interesting enough (robbing a space bank) that they could have done more with it. Just my thoughts on it.

Time Heist (Part I): The Doctor and Clara receive a mysterious phone call and must track down the three who will help them most in robbing the Bank of Karabraxos. After breaking the cybernetic human Psi out of prison, the group gains the trust of the mutant Saibra, and steals the DNA of one of the richest men in the galaxy.

Time Heist (Part II): yadda yadda pretty much the same episode with some modifications.

You could probably make the Architect reveal work still somehow, but I'm too lazy to think about it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Burkion posted:

And let's be entirely fair here.

If you took River but made her actually evil, like she was when she was Mels/River at the start of Let's Kill Hitler, you pretty much have Kavorian and Missy and Bank Manager Lady.

And Space Pope is River. Like, the only difference is one of them has a dalek laser she can shoot out of her hands, the other has...Time Lord lasers she can shoot out of her hands. Some times.

So putting them all together? Not that far off.

Where the gently caress did Space Pope lady come from again?

Actually, if rumors are true, Space Pope Tasha Lem was a hastily rewritten River Song that came about due to scheduling issues with Alex Kingston.

Which could make a sort of sense. Knowing Moffat's patterns, of course River would be the leader of the organization that creates herself.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
People like different things about the show, and I think that's a pretty good mark of at least it being interesting. Like, when Doctor Who is bad, it's rarely because it's dull. It usually bursts into flames and flails around in its own poo poo, which goddammit I'll take over dull.

And I think this series has been a massive improvement, but I can understand its criticisms.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I absolutely adore the poster for tomorrow's episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's like Sliders, except with shitposting, rainbow cosplay coats, and somehow still John Rhys Davies.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
For the past four episodes, I've really been getting a Berman-era Star Trek vibe, and I can't exactly place why.

Really, really enjoyed this one. It's about time they showed that normal human beings would have a loving nervous breakdown at half the poo poo the Doctor puts them through. It should happen more often.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, this episode was just "gently caress it, let's go bonkers" with good character bits, and even if some parts didn't work as well as others, they at least tried something different.

Failed experiment is better than no experiment, though I think this one was quite the success.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
While I have a massive tolerance for bullshit (Moon egg? Sure. Bacteria spiders? I'll roll with it), how on earth could they gently caress up the age of the moon that badly? That's a simple google search.

I state that this in no way affected my enjoyment of the episode, but goddamn.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

I think I get it now. The true demographic of Doctor Who is retarded babies who don't care if the Doctor is stuck in a scary castle and gets away by simply shifting his race car into high gear and flying through the time vortex behind Jupiter into a larger egg castle.

I want this to happen now. Thanks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Doctor Who is a kid's show in the same way Star Trek is a kid's show; i.e. children can watch it and understand what's going on, adults can watch it and understand subtext and enjoy it on several different levels. They literally have the same target demographic, but you don't really see In The Pale Moonlight get dismissed as inconsequential because "it's for children".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

My coat and cravat are cleaned, pants pressed, waistcoat washed, shirt stripped of stains…

NEW YORK COMIC CON, I AM READY FOR YOU!

If a girl dressed as Midna randomly says hi, that's my girlfriend. I told her to keep an eye out for The Coat.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
When the revival started, I was still reeling from the cancellation of Enterprise and yelling at people online about what was in The Hatch.

High school me was somehow even more sad than I am now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really like Twelve's shying away from anything emotional, played perfectly by his uncomfortable "can we talk about planets now". I dunno, that line probably struck something more in me than it meant to, but I really liked it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The AMA with Jamie Mathieson pretty much says that he went into the background of GUS and few other characters, but they got sliced in script editing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This episode horrified me in places like the X-Files used to do when I was a kid. This was great.

The nervous system mural unnerved the poo poo out of me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gaz-L posted:

It also looked a lot like Missy and her iPad Of Doom were in a redressed TARDIS set.

It's hilarious they didn't even try to cover up the fact it was an iPad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Missy is Locke, the Doctor is Jacob, and Chris Addison is the bad explanation for the whispers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Rewatching series 7, and Rings of Akhaten, while a lot better on rewatch, they definitely blew their entire budget on the evil sun. The rest of the episode looks like it was made in 1989.

Also lol that ring system is hosed without anything to orbit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

I think looking like a McCoy episode is part of the charm. :colbert:

Oh I love the McCoy era. I don't care what anyone says, Delta and the Bannermen is distilled, glorious insanity.

I think both me and PriorMarcus work in production, and half the fun is spotting where the money went, or conversely, didn't go. And Doctor Who is just ripe with stories of...problematic decisions.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
"Yes! I finally have enough to rent a circus tent! Wait, what do you mean asbestos?"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

I'm placing my bets about the twist on two things that aren't going to happen, but I like the ideas of enough that I'll be disappointed when they're false.

Either A: 'Clara Oswald' never existed because, as an insane level of paradox, she's merely one of the echoes that she herself sent through the Doctor's timestream.

I wanna say this might be kinda on the right track. Evil!Clara in the promo is wearing the same outfit as she was in TNODT when she jumped into the Doctor's time stream. What if the Clara we've had this series is an echo, and next week the original Clara finally pops back into reality, and having seen all the awful poo poo the Doctor has done his entire life, is like "no, gently caress you, you're done". He isn't a good man.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speaking finales, I honestly do not remember a thing that happened in The Wedding of River Song. In my memory, it's just a string of unrelated scenes and zero context that ends on a pyramid? There's eyepatches or something too.

That was a bad episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

Pretty much. The first episode of Season Six held so much promise too. I mean, it was immediately kissed away in the first few seconds of the second episode, but still...

See, I actually enjoyed Season Six a lot minus AGMGTW, LKH, and TWORS. The first two episodes set up a decent plot thread (only to fall to poo poo mid-season), but the rest contains some of my favorite episodes of the revival (the ganger two-parter, The Girl Who Waited, and The God Complex).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Mark, while dumb as hell, I find actually watchable. Time though is a pure strain abortion of a story.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't Dimensions supposed to be something else entirely? My memory might be failing me, but I wanna say I read somewhere their original plan fell through and thus we got that...thing.

e: I suppose you could say that about the entirety of Doctor Who.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 31, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CobiWann posted:

So I'm getting married tomorrow. What advice does the thread have for me?

Be super nice to your photographer. Source: I do wedding photography.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo that Steve Jobs joke lol.

Also I was so wrong about Missy. I didn't think it would be THAT obvious, so naturally we all suspected it had to be someone else, which actually made it surprising when she actually was the Master. Great episode, dark as gently caress, let's bring on the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They really could have toed the line carefully with the afterlife business, but I love that Moffat went full blown "no, gently caress you, your dead loved ones are suffering lol".

• Locked thread