Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
This is Midnight/Blink levels of creepy.

I love it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Has it ever been established why The Doctor took such a liking to Earth and hangs out there more often than not? I know he protects anyone he can, but this place seems to have taken a special place in his heart.

In "The Eleventh Hour", he mentions having put a lot of work into the Earth and on at least two occasions he compliments the indomitable nature of humanity. Really, he just loves humans. Possibly because his mother was one. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Bad news for DoctorWhat: Lynda Bellingham, the Oxo mum and the only watchable character in Trial of a Time Lord other than Brian Blessed, has terminal cancer and expected to die within weeks. :smith:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

The entire universe was rebooted, and nobody remembers anything. Except when they do. And the Daleks don't remember The Doctor. Except when they do.

In this episode, why didn't The Doctor just Tardis away, finish his device, then return an instant later?

Because the show needed tension and who cares.

Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden, except for cheap tricks.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

"This isn't an invasion, they've already won."

The trees are Cybus-universe Cybermen. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

By the way, it's spelt Meabh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

docbeard posted:

I think it's honestly better when they don't really address "so why doesn't anyone remember the Yetis in the Underground", because there's never going to be a satisfying answer, and the appeal of contemporary Earth Doctor Who stories will always be "what if this happened to us", not "what if this happened to a futuristic techno-society".

Seeing as you've used that example, I should point out that Seven actually did answer that question. :colbert:

quote:

Your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity when trying to destroy itself.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's happened at least twice in Doctor Who that I can think of off the top of my head, The Dalek Invasion of Earth and The Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

Also a plot point in "Voyage of the Damned" because most Londoners got canny to the fact London kept getting attacked at Christmas.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Wedding of River Song also gave us the music that was used for the Curator scene in Day of the Doctor. That alone redeems it. :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

A Good Man Goes To War is a good episode because it reaffirms that Rory is a badass.

"Would you like me to repeat the question?"

Oh, Rory. :allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

BSam posted:

Seriously, best companion. Well, best companion bar Evelyn.

And Ace. I mean, seriously, girl attacked a Dalek with a baseball bat. Because it called her small.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Holy gently caress, the Three Words are the absolutely the most terrifying concept ever.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

:tviv:

Seriously, I'm honestly pretty impressed how they were able to get the obvious to be such a massive spoiler.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think Forest of the Night had something mentioning it was 2016, so yeah, "Next Sunday" rules are in effect.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The other refers to BDSM!

Psychiatrist's field day.

Though no self respecting dominatrix would call herself "Missy".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I can't decide whether Missy going into full on "I AM A ROBOT, BEEP BOOP" after she kisses the Doctor is genius or nonsense.

The answer to that question is "yes".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The more I think of it, the more I get the feeling that Moffat is attempting to do his own version of Doomsday. Down to using Cybermen in all the press stuff to hide the bigger twist. The Cybermen reveal in this episode is very much like it was in "Army of Ghosts", too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The general consensus is that the equations that Twelve is working on is towards finding Gallifrey, and that it'll primarily be a focus of next year's series.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

outpostgallifrey.png

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't forget that they have a rule against "name-calling" that extends to not being able to call HITLER an rear end in a top hat.

Reminds me of the time that a TV Tropes mod said that calling North Korea tyrannical was mean.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The soundtrack for "Day of the Doctor" and "Time of the Doctor" will be released on November 24th. Took them long enough.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

Has that ever been shown to be true in-universe, though? Does Gallifrey even have masters degrees?

I thought it was more to do with the dichotomy between helping people vs dominating people. (With the play on words on the side)

No self-respecting domme would call herself "Missy". :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

The London Eye was clearly visible when the Doctor was flying over London at the beginning of The Eleventh Hour which means that the Ponds had to be companions in the mid-2020's! And since they were companions off and on for several years, they probably go into the 2030's, even!

I demand long, complicated, unreadable books clarifying all of this because there's no possible way that this could be production errors or things that just don't matter. :colbert:

Amy lived twenty minutes from Gloucester in a village with one post office (and it's shut!) and a pond with no ducks. Perhaps the TARDIS just travelled back in time once the Doctor got back in?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

He didn't. I think Doctor What is referring to is the memory erasure, although I don't really put that in the same category.

It's kind of like that awful Skins episode where Tony has to rape Effy before he can phone an ambulance.

Man, Skins was kinda hosed up before it went into that lame Effy/Cook/Freddie love triangle bullshit.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mostly my Skins viewership was fancying the gently caress out of Hannah Murray.

I was 17 during the first series, okay? <:mad:>

e: Oh, Peter. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZuNA8zMeSE

TinTower fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 8, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, Kate. :allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

"We've got all previous Prime Ministers on file; he wasn't even the worst."

:v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Okay, that Cyber-Brig part was pretty sweet. :3:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

In case anyone's interested, Tomb of the Cybermen is on Drama (Freeview 20, Sky 166, Virgin 190) at 4pm.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Also, "four wives, all deceased". One of them's obviously River, but Clara was wrong, because the TARDIS is very much alive. :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

We're all agreed that it was the Zygon Osgood that died, right?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Rest assured that he would dreeeezzzz for the occasion.

Well, it could be worse. You could be the Asian Child.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kevino07 posted:

After reading Occ's review of the Stolen Earth, I actually went back and watched the two parter. I had almost forgot how angry the conclusion made me. It's a shame because there was some good stuff (Davros actually being reduced to a pet, The companions piloting the TARDIS, Doctor Donna) but the last 10-15 minutes, and the rather cheap ways the cliffhangers were resolved were probably among the worst thing RTD ever did on the show.

It didn't help that I bought the cliffhanger at the time, and I thought we were going have a mystery 11th Doctor too. :(

Also, Crying Tennant.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

For what it's worth, in the new DWM, Moffat's confirmed that the Time Lock is dead, because how else would the end of "Listen" happen?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

By being written badly?

Seriously, the time lock no longer existing out working raises so many questions. Why can't the Doctor just plunge his hands into the TARDIS console and go to Gallifrey then? Does that mean the the Time War is still raging somewhere?

The Doctor doesn't know yet. After all, Clara didn't tell him the TARDIS went to pre-Academy Gallifrey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It has sassy Cybermen.

"That was designated a lie."

• Locked thread