Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

McDragon posted:

Got it. What the Doctor needs is a second companion, then he can insult them both and it'll be less like he's just picking on Clara. Just needs a bit of dilution so he's quite rude to two people rather than very rude to one. Hell, he should get out his phone-book and insult every one of his companions ever, one by one.
12's regeneration montage should consist of this.

E: I thought that episode was the best thing Moffat's written in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

anastazius posted:

So who else is thinking that the 'Promised Land' is obviously going to end up somehow being Gallifrey?

Weren't the robots trying to reach it?

I like that the big season arc has been dialled back a bit, since some of the previous ones (especially the one where "The Doctor" "dies") set up unreasonable expectations. Of course this might all be blown out of the water in a few episodes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

What the gently caress is even happening in The Ribos Operation? :psyduck:

I think I remember reading that Mary Tamm didn't think it made any sense at all.

It's one of my favourite Tom Baker stories though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Master's TARDIS has literally been a clock too.

I like the intro, except for the music.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Little_wh0re posted:

Occ's thread thought: would people say that where he is is the lowest point of revival who

I think Journey's End through to End of Time Part 2 is possibly lower, but I don't know.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat has gone down hill in every aspect of his show running since then and his flaws show through more starkly because he's no longer hitting such amazing heights in between them.
I think as a Doctor Who writer he relies on a bunch of tricks, and by the end of season 5 or so we'd seen most of them. I'd prefer to see him write a story a season max, either as showrunner or not.

That said, Listen was the best normal episode since The God Complex or The Doctor's Wife.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For a portrait of a Time Lady, that's not at all a bad likeness.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

With that kind of history, it makes it a little disappointing when the modern show just does something obvious and ordinary. Ooo, time travel, clocks, nicked off a bloke on the Internet.
I doubt they could reach the same level of technical innovation (I don't know what could possibly qualify, especially on their budget), and I certainly don't think it's less artistically original or interesting than the time vortex again (but in a different colour!).

If the standard is the original intro then not much could possibly live up to it. Certainly not the intro the show has had in the past three decades or more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Episode was pretty good. Not bad, not fantastic.

How much of it did Moffat? His name was on the script but it didn't feel like it was overloaded with his signature writing tics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I kept thinking the antagonist was Missy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TL posted:

One last thing: maybe I'm missing something, but when exactly would the Doctor have left those cases throughout the bank for them to find?

I assumed (based on the flashback) in the time between him getting the phonecall and him wiping his memory.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The TARDIS landing joke in Fear Her is basically the only good bit of the episode.

Spatula City posted:

I have a question for the old-timers: has the Doctor ever been so precise with the TARDIS that he could land it inside fairly small spaces the way Twelve has done multiple times? Because I don't remember him ever purposefully doing it in the revival. He just didn't have the control.

Not reliably. The accuracy of his piloting is basically a function of the narrative.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He does a short hop to materialise around another police box (which is actually the Master's TARDIS which itself has materialised around a police box) in Logopolis.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rose chose to go back to the alternate dimension after Journey's End, and who knows what was up with Martha and Mickey.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

:spergin: They got the loving age of the moon wrong too :spergin:

Was a pretty good episode (with some really dodgy science) that lost me on the beach. Final "break-up" scene was fantastic though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Also, it's sort of stupid that humanity's continued perseverance to the end-times, a thing that he's been sort of impressed by since at least Ninth, turns into something he himself enabled. However, I can sort of buy that he didn't know the details of how humanity survives until he's witnessed it himself.

He's enabled it every time he's saved the human race / Earth though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_h0egj9YY

Gordon Shumway posted:

The easy answer is Planet of the Dead, but I also disliked the Unicorn and the Wasp and the Silurian 2-parter in Matt Smith's first series a lot.
I never quite got why people hated The Unicorn and The Wasp so much. I didn't think it was great, but it gets so much more bile than I'd have expected.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

You know what my other beef with this episode is? The Doctor's shirt. Good God, that's a hideous shirt.

Sort it out, Doctor.

Oh god, it was horrible. One of the worst things the Doctor has worn in the revival.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Somehow the nukes were supposed to kill the alien and cause everything to collapse back down to normal.

Didn't they only find out there was an alien when they arrived?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, they had no idea what was going on. They just sent some old folks and a hundred nukes to the Moon in the hopes that maybe that could fix the problem.

It is an approach that could solve a lot of moon-related problems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This episode literally had three women arguing over whether a fetus has a right to exist even if it might harm its host (the Earth in this case).
I'm pretty sure the phrase "right to choose" got used too.

I don't think it's the only way to read the episode but it doesn't require a great leap to see how the analogy works.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EatinCake posted:

Other things aside, did the Doctor say that Courtney becomes president? ...Cause isn't she British?

Either the Doctor was lying / bullshitting, or she's got US citizenship, or there's a referendum, or the writer didn't know US law.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Burkion posted:

And the Doctor could have easily just taken a short jaunt into the future with Clara and seen for himself if he truly did not know what would happen to the shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJkTDPSenBg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

... It's not a chicken. And I'm saying that it's a very silly, arbitrary distinction to make between diversions from real science.

DW trades on the image and theme, not on interplanetary physics math problems. If real science is getting in the way of a story, then gently caress SCIENCE.

It's still laying an egg. If you want to get around real science, make it something more fantastical, don't start with the dumbed down "there's a balloon and something bad happens" version.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This episode really must have been just absolute shite, if even the usual stable of Moffat defenders can't be bothered to turn up and post about how everyone is just part of a Fendahl-like "I HATE DOCTOR WHO" gestalt. :v:

Nah, there was plenty of good character stuff in it (especially at the end), and it was a far more ambitious episode than a lot of others. I'd much rather rewatch this than, say, Time Heist or Rings of Akhaten.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Personally I find little trouble in seeing the Doctor as the type of student who got bored in class or struggled to concentrate long enough to actually sit down and study when there were other more interesting things to focus on. Give him something that interests him and I bet he nerds out like nobody else and would spend hours working on it, but lay down a structured and rigid program of study and he starts fidgeting.
That's how I've always seen him.

The Doctor not being interested in rules or structure or order is a big part of his character, and something that doesn't really change across the regenerations. He'd have been a terrible student because he'd either be daydreaming or getting into trouble or skipping class.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The "carer" line in Into the Dalek felt like the best summary of Twelve so far.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really really love the Key to Time season. Even when it misses, Baker is still fun and the interactions with Romana are great.

Yeah, it's one of my favourites, even if Stones of Blood can't keep a consistent tone and Armageddon Factor is another 6-parter where the budget and script would have had issues covering 4.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It was a great post.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Lots of Companions seem largely the same when they leave the Doctor as when they first meet him, despite the amazing things they witness. One of the best things about Donna is how you can tell even early on that when she and the Doctor eventually part she will be a radically different and better person for her travels with him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That was a really good episode. This season is shaping up quite nicely.

thepokey posted:

Someone said there was a Big Bang reference in this ep but I must have completely missed it?

Gus had been trying to get The Doctor onto the space train for a while, and the phone call at the end of The Big Bang was one of those attempts.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 12, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Can't deal with emotions/has trouble connecting with people, likes trains, carries jelly babies in a cigarette case when he's being fancy. I think we we all know what this means.

The Doctor is actually six years old.

It's the reverse of Matt Smith's "old man who looks like a young man" thing.

Although I can't help but think a lot of it comes from building on the idea of a doctor with a terrible bedside manner.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Talons of Weng Chiang always felt like the platonic ideal of a Robert Holmes episode to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Burkion posted:

A Time Lord can only regenerate if they are DYING, out right.
What about Romana?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" is a crazy serial. If it weren't for all the weird racism, it'd pretty much be a perfect story. Tom Baker seems to be ahving a lot of fun in it.

The stories before and after it (Robots of Death and Horror of Fang Rock) are great if you want more from that era.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That was really, really good, although it lost a little bit for me when the monsters became 3D.

Also (and this is a weird minor point) Capaldi's hair seemed different during the TARDIS lockdown sequence. Guessing they filmed that bit late and he had a hair cut.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

If we're talking about what we thought the episode was about, I was pretty sure it was going to be something about Little Red Riding Hood. The wolves, Maeve having a predominantly red coloring, and wolves.
I thought for a while that's what they were going for, given the Hansel and Gretel references and so on. Would have been more interesting than what we actually got.

It's like the writer of this and Kill the Moon were having a contest to see who could write the most irritatingly implausible episode (this won).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

They did in the end of that episode, sure, but it also basically say that Vincent's mental illness was the reason why it could see the Chicken Thing....
I thought it was because he was a perceptive genius?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PrBacterio posted:

Fortunately, this season also had some absolutely fantastic episodes too, so it's really been kind of a roller coaster in that respect.
It's pretty much a feature of the revival. Even the seasons that tend to get regarded well (4 & 5, for the purposes of argument) have things like The Doctor's Daughter and the Silurian 2-parter.

E: Not sure specifically what was wrong but I found the dialog during the possessed-by-fairies scene really hard to make out.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 26, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Silurian episodes aren't really bad, they're just boring.

That's a pretty big sin in my eyes. I wasn't bored by Kill The Moon or A Barely Relevant Blake Allusion, and I'd be more inclined to rewatch either of them.

The Silurian 2-parter also has the "let's have two unqualified people negotiate the future of the planet" thing that I really hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Filox posted:

Magical forest resurrecting dead people
I just assumed she'd heard the broadcast and came home.

• Locked thread