Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
So who wrote "listen" on the chalkboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, they edited out the most offensively stupid part at least.

But, seriously, gently caress a Doctor origin story.

Please tell.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Also Clara was just telepathically communicating with the TARDIS. I have no issues believing the TARDIS would choose to go there based on the information Clara gave it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I heard "Orson" but I'm not surprised people heard "awesome" because subconsciously you were probably thinking "this is awesome, this is awesome", over and over again.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

"You're a beautiful woman. Probably."

Capaldi is nailing the alienness of The Doctor and if you want to see a bunch of misogyny up in this piece, it speaks more to you then the characterization.

Also I finished Engines of War and it was pretty loving awesome. I know a few people said it was more childish then some of the average books but I didn't get that vibe at all. I also know a few people are adamant against the Time War being depicted, but if it had to be depicted, this is pretty much exactly how I'd want it to be. You want Rassilon? You get Rassilon! :dance: Tons of Time Lord politics and poo poo here, and it was great for fans of Deadly Assassin, Arc of Infinity, and The Five Doctors. I had no idea they'd Go There based on the back jacket description but boy did they!

I know nobody from the BBC actually reads our silly little Doctor Who thread here, especially with the Big Finish forums and Gallifrey Base existing as more official conduits for fan/creator interaction. But I gotta say right now, I would Pledge to buy any and all War Doctor stories, in novel, audio, or poo poo, even comic form. I don't usually read comics, but I will find a goddamn local comic store and buy War Doctor comics if you make them. The author really nailed him as a great Doctor here, wholly bringing him into the canon as an Official Doctor. I could really buy the idea that if the Time War ended then and there, he could go adventuring off with a Companion or two and we'd love him. He is The Doctor. Well loving done!

Also they went to the "End of the Universe" and it jibed pretty well with the last planet as shown in the latest episode.

I just finished it myself! Well, a few days ago, but it takes me a while to get my thoughts together sometimes. I agree with a lot of what you've said, though expanded War Doctor stuff is obviously really hard.

Here is my "review" though!:

Engines of War
by George Mann

The War Doctor first jumped on to our screens at the end of The Name of the Doctor, indeed at the end of series 7 itself.

The Name of the Doctor, from Chakoteya transcripts posted:

(The Doctor looks forward to where a man is standing with his back to them.)
CLARA: Who's that?
DOCTOR: Never mind. Let's go back.
CLARA: But who is he?
DOCTOR: He's me. There's only me here, that's the point. Now let's get back.
CLARA: But I never saw that one. I saw all of you. Eleven faces, all of them you. You're the eleventh Doctor.
DOCTOR: I said he was me. I never said he was the Doctor.
CLARA: I don't understand.
DOCTOR: Look, my name, my real name, that is not the point. The name I chose is the Doctor. The name you choose, it's like, it's like a promise you make. He's the one who broke the promise.
(Clara faints.)
DOCTOR: Clara? Clara? Clara!
(The Doctor picks up Clara in his arms.)
DOCTOR: He is my secret.
NOT DOCTOR: What I did, I did without choice.
DOCTOR: I know.
NOT DOCTOR: In the name of peace and sanity.
DOCTOR: But not in the name of the Doctor.

The Doctor’s secret, the War Doctor, was the incarnation that the Doctor didn’t talk about because of how he acted in the Time War, and how (he thought) he ended it. Naturally the introduction text of “introducing John Hurt as the Doctor” over the War Doctor’s face then a cut to credits had the opposite effect on the fans: people were talking about him all the way up until his appearance in the much anticipated 50th special, The Day of the Doctor.

Whether poor internal politics at the BBC destroyed our chances to see Christopher Ecclestone in a similar role in the special, or bad choices denied Paul McGann of his swansong return (which he arguably go anyway in The Night of the Doctor “minisode”) is hardly the point. John Hurt was fantastic as the War Doctor in Day. He played it as an old and weary Doctor who had enough of the time war (his catchphrase seeming to be “no more” before adopting 9’s “fantastic”), who somehow came across as younger than either Tennant or Smith. The chemistry of all three was marvellous, the Tower of London scene in particular really selling Tennant and Smith as old men who have tried to bury the atrocity the committed as the War Doctor. He also serves as a lovely conduit for “Classic Doctor Who” to poke fun at “New Doctor Who”, such as in the way the War Doctor reacts to 10 and 11’s use of the sonic screwdriver.

In the end, all three reject the notion that they “did [what they did] without choice”. They make a choice to find another solution, a better way, and the War Doctor realises he had a right to be called the Doctor all along (though obviously he won’t because we can’t mess up our numbering). The War Doctor was ultimately fantastic, but his appearance was over all too soon, even with the special clocking in at roughly 1h15m. Though he did just make a reappearance in flashback-form in series 8’s Listen. If only we could have more of the War Doctor, right? Right?

quote:

He was an older man, with a craggy, careworn face and startling green-brown eyes. His hair was silvery grey and brushed up into a tuft at the front, and he wore a bushy white beard and moustache. He frowned at her, looking perplexed. He appeared to be wearing a battered leather coat and a herringbone patterned scarf.

Engines of War, written by George Mann, seems to follow the tradition of the other larger-size hardback Doctor Who releases by BBC Books The Wheel of Ice (by Stephen Baxter) and Harvest of Time (Alistair Reynolds). Both of those books featured the second and third Doctors respectively. I don’t think there’s been any confirmation of these books being “part of a series”, but they have had similar releases and all feature past Doctors.

The plot takes place before Day of the Doctor, during a conflict between the Time Lords and Daleks in a particular region of space. The Doctor is forced to land on a planet in the region, Moldox, which has been ravaged by Daleks. There he meets a plucky young Dalek hunter named Cinder, who becomes his companion. She’s pretty cool. The Doctor wants to find out what plans the Daleks are concocting, etc., etc.

quote:

“Doc-tor,” said the Dalek. “Dalek killer. The Great Scourge. The Living Death. The Executioner.”

Structurally Engines of War is actually quite pleasing. The larger page sizes, and the roughly 350 page count make a book that’s not a chore to get through, but is pleasingly weightier than the quite short New Series Adventures range, which is still running. The book is split into three parts of roughly equal length. While the book is linear, each part has its own little “act” to wrap up, and in those ways it mirrors the structure of a classic Doctor Who serial, albeit more along the lines of The Two Doctors with its 3x45 minute structure. This isn’t the only part of classic Doctor Who that the book mirrors. It’s packed with references to the classic run. From The Five Doctors, to the obligatory references to Genesis of the Daleks, and a lot of bits in between. But it does so in a story that feels very modern, filled with broad audacity and even spaceship battles. If RTD had to write this as some sort of finale, it would seem to make sense. In this sense Engines of War really does manage to pull off a marriage between the old and new, the classic and modern, when it comes to representing the broad spectrum of what Doctor Who is.

The problems for me come when looking deeper at this “marriage” of elements. For the most part this is all Engines of War is. There is hardly any in between. The Doctor, despite his claims to the contrary throughout the early part of the book, still acts and feels like the Doctor. He is even referred to as the Doctor by numerous people. The ruse quickly falls apart for the reader, and it quickly becomes apparent the Doctor is only fooling himself. But heck, maybe he was. He’s definitely more hard-line than other Doctors, but it’s hard to imagine them not being so when put in similar situations. There’s only one exception towards the end, and it’s pretty good, but I would have liked to have seen more of that sort of thing – to be made to feel uncomfortable about this man who doesn’t deserve the Doctor, doing things the Doctor would never conceivably do. But it doesn’t really happen.

The book's tagline posted:

War changes everyone. Even the Doctor.
But does it really?

There are also a noticeable amount of typos in this book. There also some bits of heavy exposition that are a bit grating. It really feels like the BBC didn’t really care too much about this book. It could have been edited a bit more, and the focus of the book is just a bit lacking. Mann seems like a good writer, and a lot of this novel feels really nice. But at times I can’t help but feel Mann is doing in his best without being given much, if any, direction as to how things should play out, what the War Doctor was like, what Time War conflicts were like, and is doing the best he can with that. And with that, he does a great job.

Engines of War is a fine book. It’s a great read, in fact. If you want more of the War Doctor, then, well, here he is. He’s grumpy with a sparkle in his eye, flying about in his badass TARDIS that has a ceiling that shows space around him. Mann captures the essence of Hurt really, really well in fact, and it’s one of the high points of this novel for me. But that’s all it really is. It’s just more of the War Doctor. It’s easy to guess what the conclusion will be early on, and when it does come it’s very solid and satisfying. But it doesn’t really add much to anything. Don’t get me wrong, it adds a bit, and it’s nice that it does. But overall, it’s just more of the War Doctor. But you know what? That’s not a bad thing at all.

That’s fantastic.

---

For my moaning about typos, please excuse mine. It's quite late!

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 15, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking of the War Doctor and John Hurt's incredible performance, I decided to re-watch the 50th. One of the best episodes ever made, I still think. Does anybody know of a wallpaper version of all the Doctors looking up at Gallifrey?

Honestly doing a whole watch through Name, Night, Day, and Time, is just wonderful. After the lukewarm series 7a and the bubbly majority of 7b it was so great.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

I do disagree with you there. I think it precisely because the War Doctor is very much still The Doctor that he shines. It really is the Doctor fooling himself and I'm glad we didn't see a harder edged Doctor. It just worked better for me personally that way. I also think the descriptions of the Time War across the ages, the Battle TARDISes, the Skaro Degradations, and Rassilon himself were exactly what I imagined the Time War to be. In that sense it fills in a nice gap.

I don't disagree with you there, it is nice to get the sense of a good Doctor in a bad situation, but the way the War Doctor is talked about in the show made it seem as if there was more than just the Moment to be ashamed of. Things like still refusing to outfit the TARDIS with weaponry despite being in a massive war are a little too on the noise Doctor-y. It's not that I don't like that, but it seems a bit safe.

I try to avoid too many specifics in my reviews themselves, but I did especially like the descriptions of TARDISes destroyed in battle, "blooming" (is this original to the novel?), and the Doctor using the TARDIS to ram people.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So I've decided to dive headlong into Eighth Doctor stuff, but I have a problem; I'm not overly fond of Big Finish style radio plays. I've tried listening to them during my commute but I start to zone out and miss things. I'd much rather read Eighth Doc novels, especially since I can focus on them more. Problem is, I never see much discussion of what's good and what's poo poo in this thread. Suggestions?

What's good and bad is a pretty easy one. Big Finish is good, and the EDAs are bad.

In all seriousness it does feel like missing out if you don't go with McGann's take on the character.

I've only read one, Reckless Engineering. It was a short while ago and I might dig it up to write too many words about. It was a bit hit and miss. I live in the city where it's set (though it's an alternate universe thing which seems to be a whole arc of the EDAs), so most of my enjoyment could admittedly have sprung from that.

I too would like to hear some recommendations.

Earthworld got a 50th Anniversary reprint so that could be a safe bet.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Has anyone read Philip Sandifer's article "Steven Moffat is a Feminist and You Are Wrong if You Disagree"?

http://www.philipsandifer.com/2014/09/steven-moffat-is-feminist-and-you-are.html

I thought it raised some interesting points.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

It's another example of Sandifer giving in to his teleological predispositions and primal need to defend Moffat at all costs, and talking over actual women (and other minority perspectives) in the process..

Phil and I had a row about this exact sort of thing back in March.

His argument - that there are evidently millions of women, including Sandifer's wife and his sister, who enjoy Moffat's direction for Who - is obviously not FALSE.

But from that sound premise, he goes on to insinuate that anyone who critiques Moffatt from a feminist angle is in some way denying agency to those women who DO enjoy Moffat!Who. He even goes so far as to imply that such critiques are somehow ANTIFEMINIST. And that's a loving BONKERS claim to make, ESPECIALLY when it's a straight, cisgender white dude saying it.

Then, whenever he's called out on that behavior, he uses his wife and sister as shields and deflections. In the aftermath of my argument with him back in March, Phil messaged me to inform me that my "tone" in the argument had caused his wife some amount of emotional distress. Now, I NEVER SAID A WORD TO OR ABOUT the woman in question; but in an effort to not be an rear end in a top hat and avoid causing further distress (and assuming good faith) I stopped interacting with Sandifer.

Sandifer is a very clever and highly educated writer and analyst, but he's also a tremendous twit at times.

Also, he quite recently picked a fight with me over [a post about Six I made] and accused me of implicitly supporting domestic violence by being a fan of Colin Baker and wearing my Coat, EVEN THOUGH HE'S HAD ME ON "IGNORE" SINCE MARCH, so... yeeeaaaahhhh.

Oh yeah, I think I saw some of the last thing on Tumblr and it was pretty weird.

I've enjoyed bits and pieces of his blog I've stumbled across, though. I agree with some of his points. Mainly that I think Moffat does have the capacity and desire to want to improve, and I don't think "savage" critiques that don't actually explain themselves helps. I identify with his position partly too, as I was recently surprised to find my mother is a big fan of River Song, and realised I was stupid for disliking her character without considering what her character could mean to other people.

But it is a bit overly defensive.

However, I might still "un-wishlist" TARDIS Erudotirium. I've been enjoying About Time Vol. 7 so far, so I guess I'll just stick with that series for Doctor Who critique and trivia.

e: Moffat discussion spin-off thread

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

Well like I said, it worked for me, but of course different people might want to see something different from the War Doctor. Though we could also see some harder edged moments from him in future stories. This may just have been a "good day" for him.

The blooming is straight out of one of the early NA novels, where the TARDIS turns inside out and becomes a city. One of my favorites, personally.

Another favorite nugget of mine from Engines of War was ("oh no not the)Mind Probe.(")

It was also in the novels that he basically took a more fantastical, almost magical early universe and made it more logical and technological. His war with the Vampires was one of those things.

Yes, maybe. On one hand it would be good to have more War Doctor, but on the other I fear it's quite limited and difficult. Unless high ups at the BBC (like Moffat) are willing to help elaborate on his presumed adventures I worry they'd stagnate and just be Engines over and over, a good novel, but the only novel it feels like it could have ever been. Where can you go with something like that without someone making big decisions? I'd love to somehow hear some Big Finish, but John Hurt is probably too high profile.

It feels like the first scene of the War Doctor in Day could immediately follow the last scene in Engines.

I'm being too negative. I'd love to see a resurgence of Past Doctor Adventures or whatever the ones that ran along the EDAs were called. I wonder how Doctor Who books are doing financially at the moment, and how the past Doctor ones compare to the NSAs.

I still haven't read any NAs, though I now have a stack of a handful I picked up on the cheap and I'd like to try them out. Do you know the name of the blooming one? Though I'll probably dip into one of the just released 12th NSAs first.

Books are rad.

I have a bunch of digital Doctor Who comic books from Humble Bundle and Comixology sales I've not read. Which are the best volumes to start with? I think these are only 10 & 11 stuff.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 16, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

I can get behind this. Its a little fluffy throwaway moment, but it really encapsulates his attitude.

I also like that bit at the town of Christmas where he admits that all of his crazy grand plans are him claiming he knows what to do but is just waiting for something to happen that he can take the credit for.

Most of The Time of the Doctor is wonderfully representative of 11.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Two days left on Nevermore on iPlayer, the third story in the fourth series of Big Finish's Eighth Doctor Adventures range.

quote:

A bizarre manifestation in the Control Room forces the TARDIS onto the Plutonian shores of the irradiated world Nevermore, whose sole inhabitant is the war criminal Morella Wendigo – a prisoner of this devastated planet. But the Doctor and his new companion aren’t Morella’s only visitors. Senior Prosecutor Uglosi fears the arrival of an assassin, after the blood of his prize prisoner. An assassin with claws…

There’s no escape from Nevermore, whose raven-like robot jailers serve to demonstrate Uglosi’s macabre obsession with the works of the 19th century horror writer Edgar Allan Poe. An obsession that might yet lead to the premature burial of everyone on the planet’s surface – wreathed in the mist they call the Red Death!

Written By: Alan Barnes
Directed By: Nicholas Briggs

Paul McGann (The Doctor), Niky Wardley (Tamsin Drew), Fenella Woolgar (Morella Wendigo), Michael J Shannon (Senior Prosecutor Uglosi), Emilia Fox (Berenice), Eric Loren (Pilot), John Banks (Ravens)

I found this one okay, but it was a bit hard to follow and I zoned out a little bit in places. I quite like the different dynamic Tamsin has with Eight than Lucie, and I'm surprised to like her as much as I do. The way this ties in to Poe is interesting, but I can't help but feel there are more interesting and lucrative ways to tie Doctor Who into Edgar Allan Poe's work, and I'm sure in the future there will be.

Up next is The Book of Kells, at 6pm tomorrow, which will be on iPlayer at some point after that.

quote:

'Anyone who's prepared to kill for a book interests me.'

Ireland, 1006. Strange things have been happening at the isolated Abbey of Kells: disembodied voices, unexplained disappearances, sudden death. The monks whisper of imps and demons. Could the Lord of the Dead himself be stalking these hallowed cloisters?

The Doctor and his companion find themselves in the midst of a medieval mystery. At its heart is a book: perhaps the most important book in the world. The Great Gospel of Columkille. The Liber Columbae.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I agree that a lot of those female characters have a lot of similarities but the idea of actually getting them mixed up is just bizarre to me. I'd even say it borders on being offensive to the actors.

But I suppose when I watch things I'm often thinking about the context of it, like the specifics of the writing, the actors' performances, rather than just being purely in the fiction itself. I know people who just do that and I suppose it would be easier to mix people up then.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

These are the other threads then, hmm? A dandy and a clown?

Just flagging up I made this joke a few threads back (episode 1?) about the other threads.

Next time it rolls around let's make another note of it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think you'll find the first person to make a Three Doctors joke about the threads was me, Jakiri :smugdog:

I can't wait until there are five threads.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Sober posted:

Afterlife as a hilarious bureaucracy is always fun to watch, dunno if they can pull it off though.

Really enjoyed this episode, had me in stitches really. And yeah, the dollar store Matt Smith was amazing.

Afterlife as a bureaucracy is incredibly cliché and now thus always boring.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Sober posted:

I didn't even know it was big enough of a thing to be cliche.

Slam me for linking to TVTropes but here's a TVTropes link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CelestialBureaucracy

It'd be enough of a twist for me if it's not really the afterlife though.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I liked this episode because the Doctor, Clara, and Danny don't come off too well at various points in the episode but they all seemed believable and understandable.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

The TARDIS' natural Artron high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

I wasn't as much a fan of The Other as I was Looms in the Cartmel Masterplan. Not for the "Doctor is a chaste permavirgin" stuff, but for the ideal that the Time Lords were so stultified that they had to resort to test tube babies to survive. And it was an ossification of their own doing, out of Rassilon's hubris. It explained a lot of why the Time Lords were the way they were onscreen.

That just makes me think of Man of Steel.

To be fair the initial sequence on Krypton in that movie was the only bit of it I really liked.

• Locked thread