Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
When the doctor wears a dark shirt and the camera's on his top half, you can't really see the more idiosyncratic elements of his costume (boots/the red lining) and he just looks like some guy in smart casual :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
It's not obliviousness, Jenna Coleman's beauty is immediately apparent. Whoever said it comes across more like the doctor pulling her pigtails is spot on. The joke is that we all know she's pretty, but the doctor thinks she's a bit ugly, isn't he a kidder. Obliviousness is more like how Tennant was with Martha, Capaldi is giving Clara a handful of put-downs based on her physical appearance per episode.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Sinestro posted:

I've sort of read this as Twelve's lovely way of dealing with the fact that he both realizes why he shouldn't be and still is attracted to Clara. That he's insulting her for his own benefit, trying to make it clear that he's totally not interested.

It makes more sense if you replace "twelve" with "Steven"

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

BioMe posted:

Jesus christ how long are you people going to cry about a joke?

Couple pages in a very long thread, why? feeling touchy?

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the problem is that the content of (for example) previous interviews Moffat has given and some stories he's written (for more than just Doctor Who - I think there might be a bit of a question mark over the portrayal of Adler in Sherlock) come across as indicating that he at least has issues with women.

I'm extremely reluctant to accuse him of being some kind of full-on MRA, malevolent, Elliot Rodger-type misogynist. I've never met him, but my impression of him is that he's genuinely ignorant of how tone-deaf (if that's the right term for it) he sometimes sounds, inculcated by this sort of macho culture he grew up with in Scotland, the boys' club of the BBC where he's worked solidly for almost 20 years, and the purportedly ugly break-up of his first marriage.

The point is that it prompts some viewers - with good cause, one might argue - to scrutinise his intentions much more closely than they would if it was any other writer.

Perhaps I'm too being charitable but I'm trying my best not to assume the worst about people I've never met. :shrug:

Well there's no need to speculate about his character. It's an unanswerable question. We can talk about his writing tho, I think it'd be pretty hard to deny the sheer amount of sexist drivel that comes out across his work

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

XboxPants posted:

They're absolutely giving her more characterization, like arrogance and stubbornness.

she's quite talkative and forthright as well, but shows it more realistically than Donna, who demonstrated her opinions by being loud and talking rubbish very quickly. If it weren't for the previous season of bollocks I'd say she's the most down to earth and realistic character of new who.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE8T12-ZfW4

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

ashez2ashes posted:

This is totally random but Clara's outfit was a job interview outfit, not an outfit for a date. It'd be different if she'd just worn it to work and not on purpose for a romantic evening. Sheesh girl, I know you're beautiful but even you have to dress for the situation.

Yeah, normally I love her outfits. Do you think she picks them herself or it's all according to a fashion designer? Whoever it is has really good style

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
The dutch angles on that gif are making me honestly a bit ill

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Did I read an anti-abortion message in that or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Man this season has been consistently good quality. Still don't feel like Capaldi is the doctor but I think that'll come with time?

• Locked thread