Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kant
May 12, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Also, what's a cloister bell?

It's the warning to man the battle stations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kant
May 12, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the lack of budget hurt this one a bit. The monster was decent but just him and a couple of dudes with guns didn't really sell me on "THE MOST ADVANCED SECURITY IN THE GALAXY"

Well, so maybe this particular galaxy isn't all that advanced. I'm sure there's more secure banks in one of the other 100 million galaxies.

kant
May 12, 2003

Mewcenary posted:

Yup.

I guess the problem for me was that, ultimately, as this is 'kiddy' SciFi, we all knew what was going to happpen. This show would never have a dark ending where the dragon baby was destroyed. It was just a matter of how big a MacGuffin we would end up with.

In this case:

1. It's an eggshell which conveniently disintegrated causing no harm!
2. No moon means major destruction to the planet! Oh, it's okay, the dragon baby just gave us a new one, we're cool.

The Doctor / Clara development was really cool though and very well acted.

I liked this episode completely because of the character development. The plot is obviously secondary which is a good thing since it's not all that great.

So, I'm counting it as a big improvement over past years where we'd often get stuck with a terrible plot and nothing else going on to save the episode besides some silly scenes worthy of making GIFs out of.

kant
May 12, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I think that Clara's turnaround on the Doctor was too quick and not earned enough based on the previous couple scenes, but other than that it was a really good, solid episode. This is shaping up to be as good as, at least, Series 5 for me.

It definitely was very quick but did she realize she wants more adventure or does she think the Doctor needs her too much right now? My guess is the later. I think she remembered that she really does like him this episode and he is obviously on the borderline of going completely cold and heartless if left alone.

Either way that conflict has given us some of the best parts of the season. Unless they screw something up toward the end it's at least up there with season 4 or 5 for me.

kant
May 12, 2003
Really good episode!

At the end we get Missy saying "Clara my Clara". Sounds like something the Doctor would say. That's it, she's the Doctor from the future and Moffat gets to say he cast a woman for the role without really doing so. Clever.

kant
May 12, 2003

BSam posted:

And she's going around saving everyone he thought he was unable to save?

Because just this once, everyone lives!

Which only happens because Clara warms his cold heart and at the end the season he wants to prove just how 'good' he is!

kant
May 12, 2003
Er wait I guess it wouldn't be Missy at that point. :)

kant
May 12, 2003

Solaris Knight posted:

In retrospect, I just realized how similar this plan is to the thing with the Toclafane.

The Master shows up and uploads humans into a robotic body so that he/she can kill other humans.

It's classic Master. Use other bad guys to do the dirty work, disguise himself so he can taunt the Doctor to his face while he's trying to figure out what's going on, and then go with an over the top reveal after the Doctor isn't buying anything he's saying.. Thought it was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kant
May 12, 2003

Astroman posted:

Oh, and was anyone else hoping the Doctor would just shrug, snap his fingers, and walk in the TARDIS after Clara threw away the last key?

I was hoping he'd just kick the door open. Think you can keep me out of my fuckin tardis?!

• Locked thread