Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

We've also got another 50-minute episode.

How frequently Moffat's episodes run long does make me laugh in light of his comments about there being no stories that can't be told in 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Did Steven Moffat forget how to write stories? This is a purely incoherent series of events.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ragnarak posted:

What just happened?

Nothing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That was.... odd. I am not at all a fan of jumping back to the Doctor's childhood no matter how carefully they try to frame it, and while it was handled well I think it was still a mistake to include it.

There was no way to not include it, literally the entire point of the episode was Moffat writing an origin story for The Doctor.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

If you want to say he verbally assaults her, fine, but he's been doing it in almost every episode.

Indeed.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

I think people are mainly railing against the assertions that:
1) Moffat is a misogynist because he wrote a joke goons didn't like/understand.
2) Putting down a woman's appearance is an issue of historical relevance and not just some silly windmill SJWs like tilting at.

If people could be reasonable and make statements like "I don't think the Doctor's comments are coming off the way Moffat intended them. They feel really mean-spirited" instead of "MISOGNY! MISOGYNY! DERP DERP DERP!" you wouldn't have this kind of push-back.

FYI if you're a person who has ever used SJW as a pejorative then you're a massive idiot with nothing to say worth listening to.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

josh04 posted:

I don't think Moffat is a misogynist, but there's no problem with describing the issues raised as issues of misogyny. That's what's being discussed. The word isn't some kind of evil-totem which will ruin everything if used.

I generally feel that the m-word is overused, that overuse of 'misogyny' dilutes it's meaning in circumstances where 'sexist' is more accurate... but the constant belittling of a woman (particularly of her appearance) is such a key component of abusive relationships (the intent being to destroy her self-confidence and keep her from believing that she can do better) that it's really difficult to read these constant put-downs as being anything different. It's been present in every episode this season and hasn't really been in the past, and it's kind of hosed.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

spikenigma posted:

400 posts :woop: maybe somebody's put together all the blackboard writing for each episode and come up with a theory.

Or speculated on the billions of clues, even just in the opening:

* Like why did he have a candle in a lit room and blow it out drammatically?
* What page did he place the chalk on?, what was the book? the screen looked light and contrasted enough to resolve the text.
* Is there a common theme to Danny and Clara both being teachers and the Doctors fixation with writing on blackboards?

This is all even less interesting to me than the current topics

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

howe_sam posted:

When I saw the first promotional images of Delphox i immediately thought of Kovarian. The others, not really.

When Ms Delphox showed up I felt this real nagging sensation that I should know who this was, took a good few minutes before I realised she was actually a new character.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Burkion posted:

Mind you part of that is my frothing rage at how the Doctor treated Danny. gently caress you Doctor, remember the Brig? What did HE do after he retired for the first time? Oh right BECAME A TEACHER YOU FUCKHEAD.

This was annoying as hell, mostly because of how wearyingly one-note it was for the entire episode.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Here, let's look at this another way. There's a huge shortage of black people getting involved with any kind of sports coaching at all levels, including being PE teachers. Therefore it's actually really progressive that the Doctor sees the guy as a natural PE teacher and he's actually trying to subtly encourage him to do something where he sees they need more representation!

They're also under-represented in the cotton-picking industry nowadays, maybe the Doctor should've recommended that to him too. :)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The reason the 'laying a new moon' doesn't work is that it's it's so contrary to idea of how laying an egg works that anyone who isn't a child has to sit and rationalise it to themselves, and it doing them completely takes them out of the fictional world. Even the people who willingly go along with it needed to stop and think to themselves 'I'll go along with it' rather than just being carried along. The thing about suspension of disbelief - the onus is on the work of fiction to do it for you.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

He does have a point. The show's been running, on and off, for 50 years, was produced by a pioneering woman in her field and you can count the number of women to have writing credits on one hand. Literally.

You can count the number since the revival (in these more refined, progressive days) on the fingers of one finger.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I am legitimately surprised at how good that episode was... 'Mummy on the Orient Express' is not a title that instils confidence. Easily the best of the season so far.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

qntm posted:

And stepping back and looking at the concept on a practical level, timing and editing the dialogue to fit into 66 seconds must have been tricky for everybody: writer, director, actors, editors. It wouldn't surprise me if they were filming with real stopwatches running.

I doubt it, they'll just have filmed enough coverage from different angles to cut it down exactly as needed, just so long as the sequences were all about a minute.

Sorry to ruin the illusion.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Well I guess I'll add to the chorus and say that was a really great episode, and for once the comedy on the show actually landed. Up until a couple of episodes ago this season had ranged from mediocre to rubbish, they need to make sure to get this writer back again.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That was dumb. But not fun-dumb, just boring-dumb.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The abysmal writing on this episode was from the writer of Welcome to Sarajevo, 24 Hour Party People and A Cock and Bull Story?? :psyduck:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah absolutely it was, though that really doesn't work particularly well with global communication and the easy accessibility of information in the modern age.

There would be literally a billion photos of the forest that sprung up overnight on Facebook by the end of the episode.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

VextheGrey posted:

Did you miss the part where she wasn't ever mentally ill?

How do we know that anyone diagnosed mentally ill actually is?!? Stop taking your zombie pills, sheeple.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

greententacle posted:

Well I haven't seen any anti-vaxxers latching onto Children of Earth when the government was going to use 'vaccines' as the cover for kids being kidnapped and handed over to junkie aliens, so I guess we can hope this one gets overlooked and not used as ammunition by the wrong people. Or maybe in the finale the Doctor will say he was wrong, because it turns out that Missy, like the Master, is a Time Lord with mental illness that has gone off her meds.

It's nothing to do with anti-vaxers or any organised campaign, the problem is that it perpetuates the harmful and widely-held misapprehension that mental illness isn't real.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm not so sure about that, the girl is genuinely hearing voices so it seems like her illness is real, even if it has a weird cause.

But that's not an illness given that the voices are real, that's being more in touch with the world than everyone else. Hearing voices makes you special.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

docbeard posted:

So am I the only one who interpreted that line from the trailer about Clara Oswald never having existed being a sign that the finale is going to deal with some sort of time paradox/alternate timestream and not some bullshit CLARA WAS REALLY THE MASTER ALL ALONG nonsense?

I'm predicting that some stupid convoluted poo poo will happen and Steven Moffat will disappear up his own arsehole.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

The Onion's AV Club reviewer gives it a B.
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/doctor-who-forest-night-210987

Man, they must have some awesome drugs over there.

They have only given one episode lower than a B grade in the past 5 seasons. They do not have high standards.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

I think aiming for a B average is actually their editorial policy, as the recaps are aimed at fans who want to have a talk about the episode rather than at non-fans who want a review to know if something's actually good or not. Actually including grades is probably a bad idea in that area, and some of their recapers have just outright not assigned them.

Well if they're aiming for a B average then they're still way overshooting it.

They give Kill the Moon a higher grade than Flatline so they clearly don't know what the gently caress anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Chucat posted:

Well this is loving dumb.

Pure Moffat

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Counterpoint: It's really good.

Countercounterpoint: it isn't, its rubbish.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Moffat is actually literally trying to traumatise children, it's hilarious.

Oh your granny was cremated? Congrats, you painfully burned her up while she was still conscious.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I actually did like everything of that episode after the first 15 minutes. Especially the reveal, and the retrospective bit with The Master referring to The Doctor as his boyfriend.

So glad Missy didn't turn out to be The Rani like many predicted.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Of course, now the question is... Whose Seb?

My guess? Another Master.

The Rani

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

spog posted:

http://www.doctorwho.tv/watch/television/

The BBC doesn't make money from broadcasting in the UK.
Whereas BBC Worldwide:

Despite the large worldwide audience the show has never been afraid to be British as gently caress. There's no reason they'd need a phone box to show it was the UK when that's already assumed by everyone watching it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Psybro posted:

Think this will be the first one I'll watch on the live broadcast since the Robin Hood one. I still haven't got round to watching Flatliners or In Forest of the Night due to being busy when they were on.

Maybe don't bother with the latter.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ehhhh that was alright but most of the attempts at emotion were too contrived to work for me at all.

The bit where it's revealed than The Doctor gave Danny some magic power to literally some magic bracelet that lets him literally return from the dead then he send dead Iraqi kid back was so dumb and lazy that I'm going to punch Steven Moffat in the stomach right now.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

I just wish michelle gomez was just teleported or something. seriously. you know this is not the end of the master. why get rid of such a wonderfully bananas master like that? ( only gripe pretty much. I am sure that if I think about it too much it will fall apart though)

efb x2

Of course that's what happened, she glowed blue and vanished (i.e. was teleported) rather than puffing into a red cloud like the people she disintegrated.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Couldn't she of just had an army of Cybermen from anywhere show up and turn into clouds?

I don't think you 'get' Steven Moffat.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Psybro posted:

I'm going to struggle to rewatch Day of the Doctor in the future unless Father Christmas Nick Frost brings Osgood back to life, that poo poo was spiteful to feed a villain who you write out in twenty minutes' time.

I don't have any real affection for the character but it is a really lazy writer's trick, killing off a liked character just to make the audience hate your bad guy more. It was more annoying when Brig's daughter got thrown out of the plane presumably to her death two minutes later, and I'm thankful that one didn't stick.

If he wanted to kill off recurring characters he should've set it a hundred years ago and killed the annoying lizard woman and her gaggle of arseholes.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gonz posted:

In other news, I felt that Clara just hugging the Doctor and thanking him for the adventures seems a bit anti-climactic for a companion farewell.

I dunno, the companion deciding to stop travelling and live their life without some epic send-off is something of a rarity in the new show and it's nice to see it every once in a while. Granted Clara's involved her boyfriend dying and going to heaven and being reborn as a cyborg and sacrificing himself to save the planet and spurning the chance to return from the dead, but still.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

I just don't see the point in that when it takes place in a crazy sci-fi universe where the main character has had umpteen different actors.

I'll bet people complained when Hartnell first regenerated, too.

The character was utterly inseparable from the actor who'd played him for 25 years, to the extent that when the actor died they had the character die with him and gave him a nice reference as a send-off.

Then this episode picks up the character's corpse and starts playing with it like a toy. Do you see why people consider that distasteful?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

surc posted:

Also the constant "Oh, the doctor's a hypocrite, he says he doesn't want these bad things to happen, but when put in this strangely contrived situation where he has to either let a bad thing happen to this dude or let a billion people die, HE CHOSE TO SAVE THE BILLION PEOPLE. WHAT A HYPOCRITE YES GENERAL SIR GENERAL! I've seen his kind before, you can only trust us common men who fight for what's right"

It does seem particularly dumb in that Danny chose to exactly what the Doctor wanted/needed him to do anyway. What was the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

I'd have to disagree with this statement, but only out of personal enjoyment. I only found one episode meh - the moon egg one, and only one that was bad - the forest in London. I liked more of this season than I have since Smith's 1st one.

Aside from the two great episodes by the new guy in the middle of the season I think pretty much every episode had ranged from 'ok at best' to 'terrible shite', the most egregiously bad ones being the opener, the moon egg one, and the forest one.

• Locked thread