Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Android Blues posted:

Clara points out that it looks like the Doctor's handwriting and makes clear that he quite possibly could have written it down and forgotten, because he's that kind of person. A dream where you wake up partially and hallucinate something else being in the room with you actually is a real phenomenon experienced cross-culturally, because it's one of the ways in which sleep paralysis manifests (also hypothesised as the partial source of incubus/succubus/demon myths).

The doctor puts the chalk down between pages, stalks back and forth talking to himself, and when he turns back notices the chalk is gone. Only then does the chalk roll out from under the desk(?) and he notices the 'Listen' written on the chalkboard (right after his last question being "What would you DO?!?")

The best thing about this episode is that the monster adapted perfectly to hiding actually managed to hide from the Doctor. :suspense:

e: And you can see his hands during that scene, so he wasn't carrying the chalk absent-mindedly and then dropped it. Something Else was in the TARDIS with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

They made one episode like this and it turned out so well that they actually brought the character back for another one-off appearance.

Who was this? Wilfred? Or are you talking about Classic Who (which I basically have seen none of)? Wilfred was pretty boss.

Had a thought at work today: until now I've basically been thinking that the reason the Doctor keeps companions around is to keep him grounded; being a couple thousand years old would quickly cause you to lose perspective in regards to the 'little people' and I always figured him needing companions was his way of staving that off. But what if he travels with companions because he's afraid of being alone? :tinfoil: Not sure how I feel about that interpretation, yet, but it kind of leapt out to me as I was thinking about the Gallifrey bit from Listen.

I also think it was great that the thing that started the episode (the invisible/perfect-at-hiding monster) is pretty much forgotten by all the characters by the end of the episode. I'm not sure if I want it to be a recurring thing/come back or if it would be better for it to be the Doctor's "one that got away".

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

He means Craig, the guy who was briefly the Doctor's flatmate.

Hunh, I remember Craig but I don't remember him having a second appearance. It seems I need to re-watch some Who...

• Locked thread