Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Halman posted:

Oh my god he has a chain sword

How else do you expect him to chop open Daleks?

Who was the Jenny people were talking about just before the episode aired? Something about Moffat asking her not to get killed off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Jenny is a female clone based on the doctors genetic material from the episode "The Doctors Daughter"

Thanks for the explanation. I read "Moffat" and assumed it was from after he took the reigns on the show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Remember, this is the same person who when instructed by his robot dog to let his companion make inquiries of the locals because "she is more attractive", he response was a befuddled "She is?"

Yeah, but Capaldi isn't selling it that way, or maybe it's the writing. This isn't an alien befuddled by the concepts of human beauty, it's the Doctor constantly putting her down, negging her in a way that makes her feel self-conscious and terrible about how she looks. Something that Clara clearly takes pride in normally.

Where in your example, there's a punchline, so far this series there's been no punchline, unless it's "The Doctor is a horrible person for making his travelling companion feel terrible about herself."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

I can't believe nobody posted this one yet! (not mine)

Oh my. :allears:

The thing that bugs me about "letting the audience decide if there was a monster or not and whether anything showed up at the end of the universe" is that I'm pretty sure if there is/was something, we'll see it. Just like we saw the Doctor's Greatest Fear, we found out what happened to Gallifrey-- Moffat seems to be unable to let stuff like that just be and actually let the viewer decide for themselves or let it be a mystery.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bring along The Kingmaker and The One Doctor!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The best reason to listen to Storm Warning first is that some of the horrible "people describing what is happening in an awkward fashion" will be a lot less apparent. Also it introduces the 8th Doctor's companion and her story is very important to his adventures.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Based on that list, I think The Holy Terror, Eye of the Scorpion and Invaders from Mars might be good points of interest from the first 50.

These are all good suggestions. Invaders does have some historical inaccuracy that is intentional, but not explained or resolved in the story, so don't get too confused about it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I don't like horror stories, or movies or whatever. The vast majority of time they're not scary for me and a lot of the "eerie buildup" becomes boring "waiting for something to happen." The scene with the blanketed figure on the bed was like this. For me it went on far too long and didn't feel very suspenseful. For a kid or monster it didn't react at all to anything going on one way or the other.

But, other than that I liked the way the episode progressed. It wasn't a horror tale necessarily despite having a lot of tappings of one. Both scenes with Clara under a bed were great with her reactions to what suddenly and unexpectedly occured.

The scene at the end in the barn made me groan as soon as the words "Time Lord" were spoken, but reflecting back on it it wasn't actually that bad, but it does make me wonder if she'll give RupertDan the Soldier Man any explanation next episode.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Visuals are crap, music is crap, 100% agree. I'd rather that bonkers theme they used for the Eight/Mary Shelley audios - at least that one is MEMORABLE.

I miss seeing a time tunnel. :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

moths posted:

Not the least of which is "Philip Sandifer cannot get to the point before I lose interest." Do bloggers get paid by the word now?

I noticed it completely misses the points of criticisms of River Song, Deep Breath and weirdly blames "feminists" for male writers not understanding what Strong Female Characters means.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

BurnBlackJay posted:

HEllo I came here to see if this season is worth watching but it's just 20 pages of people talking about audiobooks and social justice lol

Skip Deep Breath up until Clara and the Doctor meet for dinner, then go ahead and watch the rest of the episodes and it's been fairly good so far.

Or go listen to the audioplays because they have some fantastic stories.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

There's very little as tedious and unsuccessful as discussions on whether things are (x)ist against minorities between straight white men.

I'm confused here. Or maybe I'm not, but it sounds like you believe that only straight white men are posting in this thread?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Doctor's treatment of Clara has made me feel uncomfortable. It's not about social justice, but it struck me as hurtful towards Clara in a way I don't think the Doctor should be acting. If you don't feel that way, it's fine, but I hope at least you can understand why I might feel that way.

And if you can't, instead of telling me why I shouldn't feel that way, perhaps it would be best to either not respond or to talk about one of the other varied topics I would be happy to discuss about Doctor Who in general or the recent episodes themselves.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pizdec posted:

Hell, maybe that's the point. This Doctor is honestly kind of an rear end in a top hat in general and maybe the character arc this season will be about him re-learning in his new body/mind that your companion is also a trusted comrade and a friend and maybe you should treat them a bit different than a (supposedly) robot Robin Hood.

It could mirror 11th's evolving treatment of Rory. You even have the constant appearance jabs ("the Nose").

See, I feel like Deep Breath showed a good bit of the Doctor and Clara trusting each other with the robot deception sequence, and that Into the Dalek showed that the Doctor trusted her judgement in regards to the lesson learned and trusted her to come up with the solution in the memory tubes alone. Robot of Sherwood was a step away from that in that the Doctor was basically a petulant 10 year old the entire time while Clara managed to solve everything. And then finally in Listen he's dragging her away from things she wants to do, insulting her and completely focused on His theory based on His childhood fears.

Actually, typing all that out, maybe Capaldi's Doctor is a petulant 10 years old space boy who has trouble relating to others, including his nanny who accompanies him on his space adventures. And because she's enjoying herself in things that don't involve him he gets cranky.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I agree that what you're saying is the intention, but the problem isn't an in-universe "The Doctor is too mean" problem, it's a real world "including dialogue about the main female character's appearance every episode" problem. I'm not worried about how The Doctor's insults are making Clara feel. We can disagree about whether or not this is a problem, as long as we both understand what we're disagreeing about.

This here I think is a good explanation as to where some of the confusion some people are having are.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Sagan posted:

So how are people "numbering" The Doctor's regenerations these days? Is Capaldi considered the 13th Doctor, counting Hurt before him? Or is Hurt sidelined? If Hurt does "count", does that retroactively make Eccleston 10, Tennant 11, and Smith 12, or do you count them in order of appearance in the show, making Hurt 12 despite canonically coming before Eccleston?

I keep thinking of Capaldi as 13, due to the line in Day of the Doctor. ("No, Thirteen!") Which actually creates a hole at 12 and whenever someone refers to him as "12" I've needed to take a moment to figure out which one they're talking about. :negative:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I have a fun question: What if matt smith wasnt shown the door last year, what if he was wrapping up his fourth season on the show and rumors were floating around that, No, he wouldnt be leaving before his fifth. If he had stuck around longer than any newwho doctor and was gunning hard for Tom Bakers longevity record: Would you be annoyed? Would he be wearing thin at this point? Were the fevered cries in 2010 of "He can stay for a million years" actually going to have legs?

I was still enjoying Smith. The scripts were terrible and Clara needed characterization, but that was hardly Smith's fault.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

spikenigma posted:

Is no place or topic ,no matter how milquetoast, safe from your pseudo-sanctimonious masturbation?

Here we go, another voyage around the English language!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

spikenigma posted:

I knew you irritating, broken fucks would turn the slight, ignorable rash at the fringes of these threads into full blown Vasculitis.

Bullying children again, eh?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

The topics were Utopia, and who or what Missy is. We had moved on. We were talking about other things. :negative:

Speaking of, does the spoiler thread know the truth about Missy's identity? Because if so I'm going to go spoil myself.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

No, but we have some pretty big pieces of the puzzle and know a massive spoiler about the finale that semi-relates to her.

If it's not the full deal I'll hold off, then. Thanks. The big spoiler is intriguing to know, but if it's not there I'm not sure if it's worth spoiling the episodes inbetween.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I've thought of all the different ways it could resolve that I possibly can and they're at absolutely best disappointing.

My theory was I'd rather be dissapointed now than later.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So now the Doctor has a daughter, a wife twice over, and now a gIrlfriiend, I eagerly await Moffat's reveal of the Doctor's nursemaid, mistress, mother and third wife.

DoctorWhat posted:

heloooo new iPod wallpaper

Yuuuup, joining the nerd patrol here.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Eiba posted:

(which would be really lame)

This makes me think that it's gonna be this. :smith:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Time Heist was the most enjoyable episode this season. I don't have any big complaints, though a little disappointed that Clara didn't really do anything at all, especially compared to the other episodes. Still, I liked it a lot.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

In Loups-Garoux the Fifth Doctor lands the TARDIS on a moving train by partially materializing just above the tracks and finishing the job as the train passes through the space. It was pretty impressive.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

He even comments on it himself, he's quite chuffed :)

It felt a little fan-fiction-y thinking back on it, but it was done well enough and I was really into the story at that point that I didn't mind at all when it happened.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The one thing I remember liking from Dust Breeding was the detail about the crashed Dalek ship not having really anything to with the plot. Unlike say Sword of Orion where the Cyberman head is a blatant note that the Cybermen show up later.

Bicyclops posted:

he seemed like he was a bored child who didn't understand why she would want to go on a date with a boy instead of have a wacky fun adventure.

With a boy other than him, the nerve! I really wish the Doctor this season was written less like a spoiled child towards his companion.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I think it's very fitting for the doctor to wonder why you'd want to go on a boring old date rather then adventures in time. Now the execution could have been a little better but ill take it.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was framed that way and not out of romantic jealousy. And especially not after how he acted similarly in Robot of Sherwood and Listen. The scene with Clara literally mothering the frightened child Doctor was additionally eye rolling.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Can the tv show use characters created by Big Finish? Paul McGann said some names for a web thing, but Thomas Hector Scofield showing up would be beyond amazing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bang Bang A Boom needed funnier jokes. There were a couple, but by and large everything that was supposed to be funny fell completely flat.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I definitely recommend Chimes of Midnight and Spare Parts, if you didn't get those in the first batch!

I'd also personally recommend LIVE 34, but I know other people in this thread said that it's among their least favourites, so... your mileage may vary.

LIVE 34 has an interesting narrative style that I liked, but skipping the big climax at the end and just having the characters talk about it afterwards was really terrible.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I think it works for me because the whole thing is about hearing it via these public broadcasts, and enough of the investigation has been set up by then through the investigative journalism that I find it easy to believe that a compelling public speech could be enough to uncover the administration's cover-up. It fits the medium and the themes of the story.

Obviously show don't tell is usually a better rule, but I don't know, it just really works for me in this instance.

I'd love to see that sort of format done again with a different/better script.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I honestly don't know how you could read the reactions to the last four episodes and think that there was any sort of hivemind, unless people not arguing back and forth forever constitutes some sort of agreement? From what I see, when people disagree about most things there's a lot more just accepting a difference in opinion and moving on.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't like this.

I'm sorry you didn't like ...and the Pirates. I certainly can't fault your reasoning, though. Now I see better why Cobi called it divisive.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Vampires of Venice is one of my favorites from season 5, that one's totally worth checking out too

I liked that one too. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was a littke more skippable, but Rory's dad was a good character.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well, that episode was bad. Really bad. Anything that has to do with Clara's relationship with Danny, or The Doctor and Clara, or The Doctor and Mr. Pink. It's all terrible and I hate how much focus it's gotten. Time Heist was really good, I liked Robot of Sherwood, and Into the Dalek was petty good too. So, half the episodes this season. It's just that the other half has left me feeling so bad that I'm considering telling my partner to watch it alone and I'll just catch up at the end of the season or something.

FreezingInferno posted:

Oh no. The nice lady who played Evelyn Smythe died.

I've only heard two or three of the audios that have her in them but she was good. :(

Maggie Stables was one of the very best of the Doctor's companions. :smith:
Everyone should listen to at least one of her audios.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

moths posted:

His jealous not-boyfriend "Danny's not good enough for m'lady!" is loving terrible.

This, forever. Watching the Doctor and another man fight ovef a girl is loving repulsive.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Absolutely amazing. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doug Sisk posted:

I can't help but notice that the BBC has been playing the clip of the Doctor saying 'listen' since before the first episode, and is still playing it now. This must mean that those monsters under the bed play into the main arc, mustn't it?

Listen... to Big Finish Doctor Who audio plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jng2058 posted:

I'd try Unregenerate. It's not a classic or anything, but it did manage to surprise me some down the stretch, which counts for something.

The thing I liked most about Unregenerate! is that it took the actual interesting plot from Minuet in Hell and gave it to McCoy to do his thing with and though I may not be the biggest Seventh Doctor fan, I liked his take on it. And thinking back on it I remember some of the scenes very clearly, so it must have been one of the better audios to give me a really good sense of the scenery.

• Locked thread