Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«136 »
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

That definitely looks like a drive in the process of progressively corrupting the media, and that's more reallocated sectors than I've ever seen before! The power cycles to hours suggests that drive was in a system that was on most of the time, contrasted with mine that had more cycles and far fewer hours (and as I wrote, died from a different cause.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Just to chime in with another anecdote relating to that drive model: my wife's machine had one in it, it started to show smart errors, so I cloned the contents to another one I had spare of the exact same model, which had no errors.

A few days later, it simply vanished from an os and bios perspective, and only made clicking sounds. That's the drive without smart errors.

I then I bought a new drive and restored the contents from a backup. Basically, that particular model of Seagate 3TB drive can't be trusted for poo poo.

I also have a third example of that drive where all i/o locks up when you fill the drive to a certain point. I have a big ol' stack of hosed drives at home.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

I want to connect a monitor to a HDMI port. The monitor has DVI and DP(and VGA). DVI to HDMI cable is half the price of DP to HDMI.
Does it matter any?

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

i just got one today to do HDMI out to DVI in works like a charm

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wooper posted:

I want to connect a monitor to a HDMI port. The monitor has DVI and DP(and VGA). DVI to HDMI cable is half the price of DP to HDMI.
Does it matter any?

Definitely use DVI to HDMI. Displayport will need some kind of convert chip that won't work in the direction you're trying to use (it's for DP output to HDMI input).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wooper posted:

Does it matter any?

DVI and HDMI are essentially the same standard with different connections, so the cable just has to change the pinout from one end to the other. DP is a completely different standard and requires an active conversion from one to the other (the cable usually has an ASIC chip embedded that does the conversion) which is why DP to DVI/HDMI are one-way cables. And more expensive.

The TL;DR is DP supports higher resolutions/framerates than DVI/HDMI, but if you begin with DVI you aren't going to gain anything by adapting to DP.

Geoj fucked around with this message at Oct 21, 2018 around 01:52

el dorito
Dec 13, 2016

Fun Shoe

the only issue is that eventually DVI will go away and youll be stuck with just DP (and maybe HDMI)

a single cable will probably not matter but Id probably not bet on a hundred dvi to hdmi cables to get their full value

On the other hand, you can get a dp to dvi adapter at that point anyway

el dorito
Dec 13, 2016

Fun Shoe

I believe I have servers that have vga and dp but no dvi or hdmi, it was a wake up call when I realized that I had to take the plunge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

the cable i got was same day delivery for $6.99 free shipping idk if you can really go wrong

«136 »