Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

VelociBacon posted:

This sounds like a hardware issue and I doubt that going to linux will fix it. Just to confirm, how are you aware of whether your GPU is running full tilt during windows installs where you couldn't possibly be seeing an application window?

If you're under warranty I would try to get it RMA'd but be aware - it's a loving horrible process with ASUS. I have probably told this story here before but I naively sent back an Asus laptop for RMA here in Canada (RMA center in Ontario) without wiping/locking windows, for a fan bearing that was shot. This was pretty dumb in retrospect but I didn't think they'd be going into it for a fan bearing and I also figured they didn't hire pieces of poo poo. So while my laptop was over there someone booted it, saw it was unlocked, signed into my email, tried to change the password, gained access to a ton of my online accounts, tried to gain access to my bank via password resets, etc etc. This was 10 years ago or more and I don't remember every little thing but it was a massive headache. I use 2fa on pretty much anything important so that was helpful but there was a huge amount of compromise and I still probably don't know what else they may have done (like scraped my entire email inbox or something).

I contacted ASUS and they basically blew me off. I contacted them again through head office etc and was told they would get back to me (they didn't). They never did acknowledge this happened despite me having evidence from the Ontario IP of them accessing my poo poo in a few places. I had to send that laptop back a further 2 times for GPU issues so I've pretty much at this point decided not to ever buy an ASUS product again.

It could actively burn me by touching it and fans were going at or near 100%. My cpu limiting experiments proved that the computer was using >45 watts even when I had the CPU using 1-3W lol. My thoughts on Linux is that it's fine if the dgpu is borked-- the apu is more than enough for me these days and in theory its easier* to disable the dgpu effectively s.t. it is actively off.

*For a certain definition of easy when it comes to Linux

It's far out of warranty afaik so no luck with that. gently caress, if I'm desperate enough I can just try to physically cut power traces or ICs hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It could actively burn me by touching it and fans were going at or near 100%. My cpu limiting experiments proved that the computer was using >45 watts even when I had the CPU using 1-3W lol. My thoughts on Linux is that it's fine if the dgpu is borked-- the apu is more than enough for me these days and in theory its easier* to disable the dgpu effectively s.t. it is actively off.

*For a certain definition of easy when it comes to Linux

It's far out of warranty afaik so no luck with that. gently caress, if I'm desperate enough I can just try to physically cut power traces or ICs hahaha

Wonder if it's just trying to utilize hardware acceleration and something is hosed up that way? Maybe try disabling that and see how it does? Not sure how much HA gets done pre-boot though so ehhh.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Something definitely sounds fucky, it shouldn't swap GPUs without being sent that command from either Armory Crate or the OS. Is your bios up to date? There's a dedicated subreddit for the g14 and g15 that might have more suggestions specific to your computer

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

How concerned should I be about the noise my PSU fan makes when it's active? The fan isn't active all the time; the unit is passively cooled until it gets hot enough I think. My PSU is a Corsair SF600 Gold. Have had it for about two years now, and the fan started making noise when I was running the Heaven benchmark to stress my new components.

Here's a short video of the fan making the noise

I've never heard the fan until today, and I don't think it's ever turned on during normal usage since I've had it. I submitted a ticket to Corsair for now and am waiting to hear back from them. Is their RMA process decent? Hoping I can do an advance RMA since I can't really have any downtime; I also use the PC for work stuff :ohdear:

[edit] I have since cleaned the dust, lmao. But that's not what was causing the fan to sound all grindy I don't think.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 26, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The fan bearing is shot or something is hitting the fan blades. I'm guessing the former. The PSU will still work, but it's probably time for a replacement.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I showed a friend who does a lot of hardware repairs and they're gonna mod my PSU with a Noctua fan lmao. Saves me from having to deal with RMA support :haw:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teagone posted:

I showed a friend who does a lot of hardware repairs and they're gonna mod my PSU with a Noctua fan lmao. Saves me from having to deal with RMA support :haw:

I have to tell you that the PSU can literally kill someone. A lot of us are fairly experienced with hardware repairs and wouldn't open a PSU. Even then, how sure are they that the fan uses PWM? I'm guessing it doesn't, so you're paying for a noctua and it's not even going to be in PWM mode?

The line of reasoning IMO that should be followed: Is it in warranty? Get it warrantied. Is it out of warranty? Get a new PSU so you're covered by that warranty if it fucks every other expensive component in your build.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I have to tell you that the PSU can literally kill someone. A lot of us are fairly experienced with hardware repairs and wouldn't open a PSU. Even then, how sure are they that the fan uses PWM? I'm guessing it doesn't, so you're paying for a noctua and it's not even going to be in PWM mode?

The line of reasoning IMO that should be followed: Is it in warranty? Get it warrantied. Is it out of warranty? Get a new PSU so you're covered by that warranty if it fucks every other expensive component in your build.

My friend does some crazy custom PC stuff and has been doing so for years, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He was gonna do the mod with a Noctua Omnijoin adapter, used in an SF600 Gold mod from this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/lu7byn/comment/gp4liq1

But yeah, the PSU is definitely still in warranty and my support ticket is still open. I'll see what Corsair has to say. If they can front an advance RMA in a decent time frame, I'll probably just end up doing that. My PC works fine aside from when the PSU needs to turn on the fan (which it rarely ever does; I don't even know if it has ever turned on before today haha).

:rip: if Corsair asks me to send back the cables and I have to undo all my cable routing in this sorta-SFF case though lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 26, 2022

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm about to get a new pc with an AMD 5600x and a 3060ti and new 1440p 144hz monitor within a week or two, fingers crossed. What are the initial setup tips and tricks if there are any? Like, is colour etc on the monitor automatically set to something stupid? Is vrr just automatically on and I don't need to touch it?

I haven't had any of this newer than like, six uears fancy stuff at all so far

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NLJP posted:

I'm about to get a new pc with an AMD 5600x and a 3060ti and new 1440p 144hz monitor within a week or two, fingers crossed. What are the initial setup tips and tricks if there are any? Like, is colour etc on the monitor automatically set to something stupid? Is vrr just automatically on and I don't need to touch it?

I haven't had any of this newer than like, six uears fancy stuff at all so far

I think these optimal G-Sync (VRR) settings are still relevant.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teagone posted:

My friend does some crazy custom PC stuff and has been doing so for years, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He was gonna do the mod with a Noctua Omnijoin adapter, used in an SF600 Gold mod from this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/lu7byn/comment/gp4liq1

But yeah, the PSU is definitely still in warranty and my support ticket is still open. I'll see what Corsair has to say. If they can front an advance RMA in a decent time frame, I'll probably just end up doing that. My PC works fine aside from when the PSU needs to turn on the fan (which it rarely ever does; I don't even know if it has ever turned on before today haha).

:rip: if Corsair asks me to send back the cables and I have to undo all my cable routing in this sorta-SFF case though lmao.

I suppose I don't see how it reasonably comes down to 'mod the psu'. Modding it effectively removes the warranty, and you never ever run a PSU out of warranty for the obvious reasons. So there's only one way to have a PSU in warranty at the end of this which is to send yours in for replacement or buy another and send this one in to sell when you get it back. Not trying to be preachy but it would be so so so stupid to have your PSU wreck a GPU and be unable to get it replaced by your PSU manufacturer because you replaced a fan to no benefit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hmm good point. Never thought about selling the unit I get back from the RMA. Assuming Corsair asks me to send back the cables, I might end up buying the SF600 Plat version since it's only $129 on Amazon right now. Looks like I can get like $80ish back before fees if I offload the Gold unit on eBay. That's not too bad. And then I get braided cables!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

teagone posted:

I think these optimal G-Sync (VRR) settings are still relevant.

Thanks!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 14, 2022

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I have two of the m.2 Anker enclosures that are $30, both have shown good performance. Nothing wrong with Startech usually though

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 14, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Since I've upgraded to 12th gen Intel, my hardware is now compatible with Windows 11. Is there any reason for me to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 right now? Should I wait for any reason?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Since I've upgraded to 12th gen Intel, my hardware is now compatible with Windows 11. Is there any reason for me to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 right now? Should I wait for any reason?

IMO there is no real reason to do it yet.

I don't know of anyone that has given a good reason either.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Windows 10 stops getting support(or at least major updates) from sometime in October 2025. So you could upgrade now just to get it out of the way. Or make a note in your calendar to do it 2 years from now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Or make a note in your calendar to do it 2 years from now.

I just set a google reminder, lol. Figure by then Windows 11 will be patched up and matured proper anyways.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As an example (unless things have changed) the start menu is much less customizable in win 11, and you can't have a vertical taskbar (which to me is the more sensible orientation on widescreens)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've been trying out 11 on a spare machine and it's not as egregious of a change as 7 to 8 was or anything. It's largely 10 with a reskin. There's a little more color in the UI for settings and stuff which is nice, and they put round corners on the windows. It looks a bit like macOS. The only bad stuff seems to be UI changes just to make changes, like centering the taskbar. The only one I don't love is that right clicking to get a context menu in explorer puts some commonly used items like copy/cut/paste in tiny icons and hides most options that aren't pretty basic, those are in a normal context menu under a menu option called Show more options. It's not really a big deal, just weird.

They have improved Settings to have more of the settings that they didn't bring over from control panels in 8 or 10, but of course control panel is still there because they haven't gotten everything moved yet. I'm going to wait to move from 10 until I have to just because they'll presumably figure out some of the weird bugs people have now and then.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teagone posted:

Do you have a touchscreen? I have Windows 11 on a 2-in-1 laptop I just bought, and it seems well-suited to that. Otherwise it does seem mostly like a skin of Windows 10, although I'd say it reminds me more of ChromeOS than MacOS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you have a touchscreen? I have Windows 11 on a 2-in-1 laptop I just bought, and it seems well-suited to that. Otherwise it does seem mostly like a skin of Windows 10, although I'd say it reminds me more of ChromeOS than MacOS.

Nope. It's my gaming PC that I also sorta do some work stuff on, but it's mostly for games.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Windows 11 does have some new features for gaming like auto HDR and DirectStorage, but they require pretty specific hardware and are of debatable benefit / not widely implemented right now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Party Boat posted:

Windows 11 does have some new features for gaming like auto HDR and DirectStorage, but they require pretty specific hardware and are of debatable benefit / not widely implemented right now

Right, yeah. I have a non-HDR display and am still on a SATA SSD, heh. Haven't really seen the need to upgrade either of those components just yet. I'll jump to an NVMe drive eventually, but not any time soon. My system upgrades were the CPU, RAM, and motherboard components. Everything else was brought over from my previous build.

[edit] As an aside, I had been on 4th gen Intel (Haswell) since 2013 up until just a few days ago when I installed the new hardware; did in-socket upgrades over the years starting with an i3-4330, then moved on to an i5-4570, then an i7-4770, and now to an i5-12400, and holy poo poo what an upgrade lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 28, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't win11 recommended for Alder Lake because the scheduler is better at handing the different core types? Might not be relevant to the 12400, which doesn't have efficiency cores, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was the first thing I read on my cursory google searches. 12400 has no E-cores, so yeah, no benefits for me, hehe.

After asking if I should upgrade ITT and reading the replies, I came across Optimum Tech's video where he talks about how his Win11 upgrade experience has been horrible lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8ISx1q1Jo

Glad I held off from pushing the upgrade button. I really was gonna do it earlier but then I was like, maybe I should ask goons first. Haha.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't check the details, but last time I asked I was told downgrading back to win10 was pretty simple.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i thought they walked it back and will offer directstorage on windows 10 too

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They did, but the faster path that hooks directly into the NVMe driver is still only on 11

Who knows if that will make a tangible difference in practice

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm planning on getting a new motherboard and CPU, and I've got a tube of Arctic Silver 5 from my first build in 2004 that's not empty yet. Is that stuff still usable, or should I get some new thermal paste?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm generally pretty relaxed about using old thermal compound as long as it's not separated or looking / smelling weird, but something that dates back to Bush's first term is probably pushing it a bit. It's not especially expensive so I'd say get a new tube.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Many CPU coolers come with a bit of paste, if you're replacing that too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm fairly new to PC gaming, tried to play battlefront 2 and it wouldn't show it in anything other than 1080p, so I quit and now my entire PC is locked at 1080p instead of 4k? Wtf? Everything worked fine before that. No drivers to be installed and the windows settings will let me select 4k but not actually change. Infuriating. What causes a game to do this to literally everything?!

Edit: followed some instructions to uninstall and reinstall GPU driver but could only uninstall and now NVIDIA thinks the GPU isn't there. Nice.

Edit 2: fixed it and the resolution thing thanks to a YouTuber. Don't know how you guys have the patience for this poo poo.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 30, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm fairly new to PC gaming, tried to play battlefront 2 and it wouldn't show it in anything other than 1080p, so I quit and now my entire PC is locked at 1080p instead of 4k? Wtf? Everything worked fine before that. No drivers to be installed and the windows settings will let me select 4k but not actually change. Infuriating. What causes a game to do this to literally everything?!

Edit: followed some instructions to uninstall and reinstall GPU driver but could only uninstall and now NVIDIA thinks the GPU isn't there. Nice.

Edit 2: fixed it and the resolution thing thanks to a YouTuber. Don't know how you guys have the patience for this poo poo.

Never had that happen, PC gaming is fixedly pretty easy and rewarding.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ugh I fixed the no 4k problem but now realised it's locked at 60hz. Doing nothing but troubleshooting instead of playing.

Edit: is it because I'm using gsync? Turning it off does nothing though. Why are there like 4 different places where I can choose 120hz and none of them stick? Jesus Christ.

Maybe it is VRR capping it at 60?! Nope changing that does nothing either. I'm stumped.

I'm using the same HDMI 2.1 cable that I use on everything else. LG CX TV that does 120hz just fine on console.

Edit 2: it was the HDMI splitter even though it can handle 120hz fine with consoles. So weird. Luckily I can just rearrange the ports and have the PC as the one thing plugged directly into the tv. All solved right before bed time down under. Maybe tomorrow I can actually play some games.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 30, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ugh I fixed the no 4k problem but now realised it's locked at 60hz. Doing nothing but troubleshooting instead of playing.

Edit: is it because I'm using gsync? Turning it off does nothing though. Why are there like 4 different places where I can choose 120hz and none of them stick? Jesus Christ.

Maybe it is VRR capping it at 60?! Nope changing that does nothing either. I'm stumped.

I'm using the same HDMI 2.1 cable that I use on everything else. LG CX TV that does 120hz just fine on console.

Edit 2: it was the HDMI splitter even though it can handle 120hz fine with consoles. So weird. Luckily I can just rearrange the ports and have the PC as the one thing plugged directly into the tv. All solved right before bed time down under. Maybe tomorrow I can actually play some games.

That makes more sense. PC gaming when you're actually using PC equipment and not TVs is pretty plug and play, for what it's worth.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
My AOC monitor is 4 years old and horizontal lines have appeared along the bottom about 1/3 of an inch of the display. They cover the whole width but are most heavy in the bottom right. It's about the size of the windows bar. There's been no impact or anything I can think of that caused it. Am I right to assume that it's a sign of the panel failing and likely to spread? Any idea about a timeframe? I use it as an external monitor for my laptop. It's not currently critical but just wondering when I might be looking to replace it.

I've tried a different cable so definitely the monitor itself.

Its out of warranty and I can't imagine it's worth trying to pay to fix. Wasn't expensive in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sad Panda posted:

My AOC monitor is 4 years old and horizontal lines have appeared along the bottom about 1/3 of an inch of the display. They cover the whole width but are most heavy in the bottom right. It's about the size of the windows bar. There's been no impact or anything I can think of that caused it. Am I right to assume that it's a sign of the panel failing and likely to spread? Any idea about a timeframe? I use it as an external monitor for my laptop. It's not currently critical but just wondering when I might be looking to replace it.

I've tried a different cable so definitely the monitor itself.

Its out of warranty and I can't imagine it's worth trying to pay to fix. Wasn't expensive in the first place.

80% of the time that's some internal cable between the controller and panel coming loose. They generally clip into place but are ribbon cables of some kind. You could attempt to open the thing up and tighten those up but it's surprisingly easy to break monitors so if you don't feel comfortable doing it I'd probably just let it go and think about saving for a new one. If it's an expensive display maybe give fixing it a shot. I've had good luck looking at ifixit or random youtube videos for disassembly guides, but you always need a plastic spudger for the zillion stupid clips around the edge of any modern snap together devices.

Other possibilities are a bad cable, the monitor controller dying, or even video card problems. You could certainly try a new cable or try wiggling your existing one on each end in case one of the conductors is breaking inside of it.