Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how does eMMC stack up against an HDD or an SSD in terms of speed as a storage medium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

how does eMMC stack up against an HDD or an SSD in terms of speed as a storage medium?

Slower vs SSD faster vs HDD.

quote:

eMMC Isn’t Bad, But It’s Not The Fastest
There’s nothing wrong with eMMC—in theory. Your digital camera probably doesn’t need a full SSD with its increased size, complexity, and price. However, when you’re buying a laptop or tablet, the limitations of eMMC become more apparent. As with SD cards, not all eMMC storage is created equal—some eMMC storage is slower than others. However, all eMMC storage will be slower than a proper SSD.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eMMC is like a bootable flash card embedded directly onto the board. It gonna be roughly 2x faster than an HDD, but nowhere near as fast as a modern SSD.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Are there any better options than canned air that are cheaper and simpler than buying a full air compressor?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Spaseman posted:

Are there any better options than canned air that are cheaper and simpler than buying a full air compressor?

I've heard that compressors can spray moisture, but idk how prevalent a problem that is. What do you need so much canned air for anyways?

Fwiw I just use q-tips to clean my fans.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spaseman posted:

I've got one of those datavac blowers, but I paid $50 and the price seems to have gone up:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bonus-Electric-500-Watt-Computer-Electronics/dp/B071LQSXGD/

There's a bunch of other companies making similar products now:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=duster&rh=n%3A541966&dc&qid=1599980639&rnid=2941120011&sa-no-redirect=1&ref=sr_nr_n_1

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I just use the A/C compressor from an air bed for anti dusting duties. No canned air purchases needed and no oil or moisture concerns.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I've got one of those datavac blowers, but I paid $50 and the price seems to have gone up:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bonus-Electric-500-Watt-Computer-Electronics/dp/B071LQSXGD/

There's a bunch of other companies making similar products now:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=duster&rh=n%3A541966&dc&qid=1599980639&rnid=2941120011&sa-no-redirect=1&ref=sr_nr_n_1

I also paid $50 for mine in 2014 but I'd drop $80 on one today because the quality and power are outstanding. Those similar products look awful in comparison.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I assume no one has better strategies for snagging a 3080 on the 17th other than "be online all day and f5 a lot"??

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I assume no one has better strategies for snagging a 3080 on the 17th other than "be online all day and f5 a lot"??

sign up on every site you might attempt to buy from and make sure your shipping and payment information are already saved

and be online all day and f5 a lot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Follow the GPU thread.

I’ve already got two pre orders in. (I’ll cancel one after the reviews come out)

One on amazon and one at B&H.

There was a third one that I missed or I’d have done that one just to be safe.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I assume you've all pre-ordered psus too?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azhais posted:

I assume you've all pre-ordered psus too?

The consensus seems to be that a 650W name brand should be fine.

Obviously that could change with reviews but it seems to be the case right now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Until now I’ve been using a SATA powered hub for my 4 PWM case fans but I’m seeing a lot of build pics online of people using what look like splitters alone.

Can I just buy a 4 way splitter to run 4 fans on one motherboard header? My PSU is modular so if I can ditch the extra power cable I’d like to.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Any suggestions for a KVM switch? I've got a PC and a laptop that I want to switch between for keyboard/monitor/mouse, but I don't wanna have to unplug and replug cables 'n poo poo. Both HDMI and DisplayPort/MiniDP would be ideal, since it's a PC and a Macbook.

I picked up one of these: https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1644/ off ebay for $40 plus shipping. I have dual 1080p DVI monitors and use displayport to DVI cables and HDMI to DVI cables (cheapo amazon basics type) very successfully with it. The only issue I had with it was my mouse scrolling with the scroll wheel was... off, but it comes with a feature to disable mouse emulation and just directly pass the mouse through to the computer as a device, which fixed my issue. They also make a 2 computer version if you're not planning on adding any additional systems.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Rolo posted:

Until now I’ve been using a SATA powered hub for my 4 PWM case fans but I’m seeing a lot of build pics online of people using what look like splitters alone.

Can I just buy a 4 way splitter to run 4 fans on one motherboard header? My PSU is modular so if I can ditch the extra power cable I’d like to.

Yep, with no issues. I bought a couple of these and they're great (and were like less than 10$): https://www.amazon.ca/DEEPCOOL-Supports-Non-PWM-Occupying-Motherboard/dp/B07DDC27BD

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rolo posted:

Generally yes, assuming the fans aren't super powerful. Just make sure you get a proper PWM splitting cable and it will work largely the same as the SATA powered hub.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The manual for your motherboard should say how much power each header can supply, if you want to be sure.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yep, with no issues. I bought a couple of these and they're great (and were like less than 10$): https://www.amazon.ca/DEEPCOOL-Supports-Non-PWM-Occupying-Motherboard/dp/B07DDC27BD

Indiana_Krom posted:

Generally yes, assuming the fans aren't super powerful. Just make sure you get a proper PWM splitting cable and it will work largely the same as the SATA powered hub.

Oh cool good to know. I did some googling and found that the header I’d be using for these supports 2 amps and these are just standard 2.4w Noctua case fans so I’ll give it a try.

The SATA modular cable that came with my PSU is annoying because they had to make it a foot long ribbon cable with 3 connectors so it’s gonna be nice to get it out of there.

Also I was whining about the bad airflow in my CoolerMaster Q300L a few pages ago and since then have ordered a Fractal Meshify C Mini and a Noctua NH-U12S. Here’s to hopefully not worrying about air when I upgrade my GPU.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Rolo posted:

Also I was whining about the bad airflow in my CoolerMaster Q300L a few pages ago and since then have ordered a Fractal Meshify C Mini and a Noctua NH-U12S. Here’s to hopefully not worrying about air when I upgrade my GPU.
Nice, I just replaced my dutch oven case (NZXT H500) with the Meshify C and the airflow and temperatures are superb; I'm using a pair of those splitters with one for intake and one for exhaust.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You guys ever fall down a rabbit hole once you start upgrading? Now that I know I’m swapping cases this week I think I’m going to go ahead and turn my b450m into a b550m for PCIe4.0 and a second onboard m.2 slot. I have an older backup m.2 drive sitting in a drawer already.

It’s like a hundred bucks and I’ll have everything apart anyways?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
We don't even know if PCIe gen 4 is worth it yet. If you can't find a buyer for the B450, then an M.2 PCIe card might make a bit more sense. A B450 should be OK even for Zen 3. Personally I don't bother upgrading unless there's an appreciable performance uplift to gain from it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Rolo posted:

You guys ever fall down a rabbit hole once you start upgrading?

That's how it always happens. "Hey, RAM prices are decent again, think I'll add more. Shoot, for only a few bucks more I can get a very slightly faster set. drat, need a new motherboard for that. Well, as long as I'm getting a new mobo might as well look at processors too."

etc., etc. Earlier this year I upgraded my main system's video card, and since the old one (GTX 970) was still perfectly decent for reasonable purposes and especially my purposes, I decided to build an entirely new budget system around it to have a more compact PC that I could take with to a gaming weekend back when we could still go places. One upgrade definitely is a single snowball atop a snowy hill for me.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I knew there was a reason I got a 750w PSU when I did a 3800x build last Christmas :getin:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
the rtx 30s have a new power connector tho

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azhais posted:

the rtx 30s have a new power connector tho

Yeah?

AFAIK that is only the founders edition that has one. The other versions are sticking with the older stuff for now.

The FE also comes with an adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJDdRgs7Lw&t=320s

He also shows that some PS units have a cable that fits just fine.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If I want to talk about buying a used computer and want to talk specs and cpu/gpu generations and compatibility and stuff like that what thread should I be in

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Filthy Hans posted:

If I want to talk about buying a used computer and want to talk specs and cpu/gpu generations and compatibility and stuff like that what thread should I be in

:justpost:

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The PC Building megathread sticky can also help you out if you're using it as the basis for an upgrade.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

edit: removed because no longer relevant

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 16, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

edit: ignore

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

I haven't had a desktop PC in about 15 years so and have had my current ThinkPad x220 for around 9 years or so, which means I'm really out of date. I'm hoping to get a used desktop PC for ~$500 that won't die on me in a year or two, will not generate much noise, and hopefully can play games at least as well as my PS4 does, preferably 1080p 60fps but that's really not mandatory. I'll worry about a monitor later. I don't know what generations of Intel core processor I should be looking at or if AMD would be a better choice, I don't know jack about motherboards or GPUs either. I've been cursed with bad PSUs in the past and absolutely will not tolerate one. I'm in eastern Tennessee and the pickings on Craigslist are slim so I also want to know where I can look for used PCs online. I'm not too concerned about memory or storage, memory is cheap and I'll probably get some sort of SSD if it doesn't come with one and I already have an external drive as well. It's gotta have Windows 10 and hopefully MS Office, I've never warmed up to the free alternatives. I've heard to avoid video cards that have been used for crypto mining but I don't know how I would go about checking that, apart from figuring out which cards were popular for that (which probably changed often over time) or asking the seller (who will probably lie).

I don't even know what other questions I should be asking about used PCs so lay it on me, please.

edit: dual monitor support would be a plus but isn't mandatory for me

If that's your budget it makes more sense to just keep an eye out for things instead of specifically looking for xyz equipment. I would say browse SA mart and ask honest questions in the threads, if someone tries to bullshit you they'll be called out by thousands of angry nerd goon gamers. I would say for 1080p 60fps you need any i5/i7 with 4cores/8threads minimum, and pretty much any GPU that is 6xx Nvidia or newer. You don't have the budget to specifically buy a good PSU, anything from a name brand used should be fine. You'll probably end up with a ~500w PSU. I'm pretty sure you can find something for that price.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

If that's your budget it makes more sense to just keep an eye out for things instead of specifically looking for xyz equipment. I would say browse SA mart and ask honest questions in the threads, if someone tries to bullshit you they'll be called out by thousands of angry nerd goon gamers. I would say for 1080p 60fps you need any i5/i7 with 4cores/8threads minimum, and pretty much any GPU that is 6xx Nvidia or newer. You don't have the budget to specifically buy a good PSU, anything from a name brand used should be fine. You'll probably end up with a ~500w PSU. I'm pretty sure you can find something for that price.

thanks, I'm thinking I'll just get a pretty new workstation because I could get something pretty new for at or less than what an old gaming rig will probably be; I'll forget about gaming on it because reliability and quietude are more important to me

that's a different animal, so I'll do some research and post back here if I have questions about that

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

thanks, I'm thinking I'll just get a pretty new workstation because I could get something pretty new for at or less than what an old gaming rig will probably be; I'll forget about gaming on it because reliability and quietude are more important to me

that's a different animal, so I'll do some research and post back here if I have questions about that

When it comes to something being quiet that's got nothing to do with gaming/not gaming. You can have a gaming PC that is perfectly quiet and reliable. It's not a tradeoff. Make sure whatever workstation can take a full size GPU.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 19, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Ethernet controller isn't involved with wireless at all.

But if it's an older laptop with a .g WiFi card, then 30 Mbps is an excellent result and pretty much the best you're going to get out of it without replacing the wireless card.

.g has a theoretical maximum of 54 Mbps, so getting a little more than half of that in real-world speed is fantastic for the standard.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can anyone recommend a very quiet 80mm fan? I know they're louder than larger fans, this is for a home server build that has to be basically 100% quiet. Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Can anyone recommend a very quiet 80mm fan? I know they're louder than larger fans, this is for a home server build that has to be basically 100% quiet. Thanks!

I used a couple of these in my home server and even though they're a 3-pin they're dead silent, however they do push a little less air than some comparable fan. I used two in my case they they exhausted the heat just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119SLG18/ref=emc_b_5_t

I used these for the hard drive bays which need a little more airflow and they push a real good amount of air for just a little more noise.
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A8-PWM-Premium-Quiet/dp/B00NEMG62M

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I used a couple of these in my home server and even though they're a 3-pin they're dead silent, however they do push a little less air than some comparable fan. I used two in my case they they exhausted the heat just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119SLG18/ref=emc_b_5_t

I used these for the hard drive bays which need a little more airflow and they push a real good amount of air for just a little more noise.
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A8-PWM-Premium-Quiet/dp/B00NEMG62M

Thanks, I ordered 2 of the f8s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Vir posted:

We don't even know if PCIe gen 4 is worth it yet.
Turns out that it is not, at least until direct texture loading from PCIe gen 4 SSDs into PCIe gen 4 GPU VRAM becomes widely utilized in games:

repiv posted:

techpowerup measured the effect of pcie4

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/27.html

1% faster on pcie4 babyyy :rice: