Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sitting on a 2080ti so I'll probably hold off entirely until a hybrid 4080ti comes out or something like that, if monitors begin to show up that are 4k and 120hz and not trash with fans in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

tuyop posted:

Six amps for RGB? What are they, spotlights??

Who are you replying to? Me?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Ak Gara posted:

I need 3 molex connectors to power my 3 D-RGB controllers (each one draws 8 amps) so it can't be a molex chain, but 3 individual 6 pin peripheral > molex cables but the only ones I can find are the long chains. I don't have much space to work with and would rather not have 3 molex chains all squashed in a tight space.

One option I might have found is buying custom cables from CableMod, and selecting single molex, custom length. I'm concerned though that as it's a whole cable and not an extension, there might be psu pin layout compatibility issues. Apparently there's not a standardized psu pin layout??

The CableMod config website does ask what PSU I'm using so many it'll be okay? :confused:

Ak Gara posted:

Who are you replying to? Me?

I mean you are claiming your D-RGB controllers draw a combined 288 watts so yeah... Either you have accidentally switched the LEDs out for incandescent bulbs, or you are running like 5000 LEDs off them to get that absurd number.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly I’d wait till you can find something with a 30 series card in it. That’s not the worst deal or anything but the newer cards are significantly better.

Thank you for info that is good to know. Would this be a better idea? It has a 3060:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6439631

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I mean you are claiming your D-RGB controllers draw a combined 288 watts so yeah... Either you have accidentally switched the LEDs out for incandescent bulbs, or you are running like 5000 LEDs off them to get that absurd number.

ah, I was confused as you said 6 amps, when I said 8 amps per controller.

Each slot can control 90 LED's and draw 2 amps when set to pure white at 100% brightness and there's 12 slots. I doubt I'll be using the 100% brightness white setting often but I'd rather have the power available in case I use it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thank you for info that is good to know. Would this be a better idea? It has a 3060:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6439631

Absolutely better.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I have a couple of old, dead external drives that don’t even spin up when plugged in. Is it worth shucking them to see if I can pull data off by plugging them directly into my desktop, or are they likely be using some kind of non-SATA interface internally?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I have a couple of old, dead external drives that don’t even spin up when plugged in. Is it worth shucking them to see if I can pull data off by plugging them directly into my desktop, or are they likely be using some kind of non-SATA interface internally?

How valuable is the data to you? You can do some pretty wild stuff if you're willing to ship it to a recovery place.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lazyhound posted:

If they're big they'll probably have a 3.5" disk that's got a sata or IDE interface (depending on the age). If they're smaller they might be laptop drives and I think WD was soldering a SATA to USB board right onto those or something. It's worth looking if you want the data, the drives themselves may be okay. A lot of those external enclosures are made to be too hot and can cause disks to die prematurely, however.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Lazyhound posted:

It's worth doing if the alternative for you is throwing them away. The data may be encrypted at rest and be unreadable without the circuitry, so that can be tricky if you need to do a PCB swap to get it working again. It could be that a fuse has burned out on the board and you can remove that and all will work (it's like an anti-fuse - if you pull it off the board then power will pass through).
A Linux boot environment may have better luck reading them as well, so that's worth a try. There are some data recovery builds as well, if you care to get a bit more serious. Obviously that's pointless if the system can't even access the disk to begin with.

If, however, you have important stuff on them then use a professional recovery company - anything physical you do may make things worse.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Any recommends on a decent computer chair in the 100-200 range? Doesn't have to be fancy, just something moderately comfortable that's not going to crap out on me, especially the pneumatic lifter piston thing that has been the end of my last two chairs. I'd prefer something moderately tall-backed for my extra long torso

ahh crap i didnt know there was a computer chair megathread..ignore

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 5, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

Any recommends on a decent computer chair in the 100-200 range? Doesn't have to be fancy, just something moderately comfortable that's not going to crap out on me, especially the pneumatic lifter piston thing that has been the end of my last two chairs. I'd prefer something moderately tall-backed for my extra long torso

This discussion just came up in the costo thread!

A lot of people said to get a second hand Steel case or aeron not sure what area you are in but since Covid a lot of businesses have gotten rid of stuff.

Also this

https://youtu.be/9Yhc6mmdJC4

Imo you are best off sticking more towards the $200 range as most $100 chairs will be complete poo poo.

Try and find an office liquidation place.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 5, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Feral Integral posted:

There's a chair thread, but I'm fairly sure they'll tell you any chair in that price range is crap.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
New cheapest dell desktop, should I turn it on and set it up before adding a second hard drive and more memory? Or install them before first powerup. Does it matter at all?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

New cheapest dell desktop, should I turn it on and set it up before adding a second hard drive and more memory? Or install them before first powerup. Does it matter at all?

Doesn’t really matter but you might wanna turn it on first to make sure the machine isn’t DOA.

That way you don’t have to try and trouble shoot something.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

I’m using a 2080 Super with 2 monitors through DisplayPort and HDMI. Sometimes when I start up my computer the second monitor doesn’t come on and I have to re-enable it through GeForce settings. I tried switching ports and it still does it. Haven’t tried a new cable since I don’t have one but not sure if that would make a difference. Anyone happen to know how to fix it?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I've been trying to simplify my desktop PC and work laptop setup by switching between the two with a Dell DisplayLink USB Hub. I have my mouse, keyboard, headset, ethernet and monitor cables coming from the hub. It's been working pretty well but dumb question - if the hub isn't plugged into my desktop GPU, what exactly is powering the graphics? I don't think my Ryzen 1600 or B450m feature integrated graphics so I'm confused as to how my RX 580 is working. Can the motherboard send everything through the USB port?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Not too sure if this is the right thread, but I'm trying to see if I need a new router to get the best speeds possible. I'm currently using a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 and testing on an iPhone mini with Speedtest.net.

I'm currently using Xfinity and the average speed I'm obtaining is 285Mbps down and 17.5Mbps up, modem is a ARRIS SB6190 and subscribed to 600Mbps plan. Testing on Sonic yields me getting 300Mbps down and 510Mbps up, modem is an Adtran 411.

Is my router bottle-necking my potential speed?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

High-speed wireless is a crapshoot and real world throughput is far removed from the headline figure on the box, but routers that old aren't cut out for ultra high-speed connections - Kitguru's test of a wired transfer through the R7000 pegs its maximum speed at 520Mbps (and that was presumably with a single client connected). A newer router will at least shift the bottleneck from the router's CPU/RAM to the wireless connection, so you can wire in any computers and make do with whatever the wireless can manage on phones and streaming devices.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I realised that my computer is roughly ten years old. How slowly it runs some software made me aware of it. Usually I replace hardware when it fails. But nothing has, so I haven't.

I burned out on PC hardware a long time ago and have no idea what's current-ish. I'd be looking to assemble something cheap and cheerful from used and new parts and I'm in no hurry.

Can someone point me to a resource where I can find out what's what?

It's a bit beyond the scope of my question, but I think my main requirements are good virtualisation support, recent CUDA version support, USB3, decent SATA speed, and support for a fairly large amount of RAM.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

General_Failure posted:

I realised that my computer is roughly ten years old. How slowly it runs some software made me aware of it. Usually I replace hardware when it fails. But nothing has, so I haven't.

I burned out on PC hardware a long time ago and have no idea what's current-ish. I'd be looking to assemble something cheap and cheerful from used and new parts and I'm in no hurry.

Can someone point me to a resource where I can find out what's what?

It's a bit beyond the scope of my question, but I think my main requirements are good virtualisation support, recent CUDA version support, USB3, decent SATA speed, and support for a fairly large amount of RAM.

PC building thread, it's stickied. The OPs a little out of date though, just post the template.

Getting any gpu right now is an absolute shitshow though. Hope you like discord.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

High-speed wireless is a crapshoot and real world throughput is far removed from the headline figure on the box, but routers that old aren't cut out for ultra high-speed connections - Kitguru's test of a wired transfer through the R7000 pegs its maximum speed at 520Mbps (and that was presumably with a single client connected). A newer router will at least shift the bottleneck from the router's CPU/RAM to the wireless connection, so you can wire in any computers and make do with whatever the wireless can manage on phones and streaming devices.

That makes sense. The router is a bit older and I've used a wired connection for so long I don't really know the expectations for wireless anymore.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Some Goon posted:

PC building thread, it's stickied. The OPs a little out of date though, just post the template.

Getting any gpu right now is an absolute shitshow though. Hope you like discord.

How the gently caress did I miss that? Still, technically I did ask in the right thread, and got the answer I needed.

It doesn't need to be the latest in graphics. I mostly use the GPU (mostly CUDA ) for things like deep learning. My Jetson nano is nice, but time not being a concern, it has nowhere near enough RAM.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
Dumb, WFH-related problem: I can't seem to find a USB switch that doesn't take forever to handshake with Windows. I don't need a full KVM since my company got me a Targus dock for video and such. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm used to using Synergy but that seems like a non-starter due to VPN config stuff that I cannot do anything to even with my dev permissions.

I can continue to use my current one, but the 5-30s delay swapping back to Windows is irritating.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
5-30?? I bought a 20$ IOGear one from Amazon and it's less than a 2 second switch, maybe try that brand?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Should IPA be fine for cleaning a laptop with one of those fake metal bodies? This kind of thing:

What about the touchpad?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Should IPA be fine for cleaning a laptop with one of those fake metal bodies? This kind of thing:

What about the touchpad?

Yes***, but test on a non-obvious spot first to see if it won't dissolve the paint. Same for the touchpad, really. It all depends on the material choices.

***Damp cloth might be safer?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Picked up one of those cheap Chinese webcams off amazon and and the picture is completely terrible. Can anyone recommend a good budget PC webcam? Ideally something that picks up okay audio too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Picked up one of those cheap Chinese webcams off amazon and and the picture is completely terrible. Can anyone recommend a good budget PC webcam? Ideally something that picks up okay audio too.

What’s the budget?

You could probably snag a good deal on a Logitech from the Amazon warehouse.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Grumbles posted:

Best Buy has C920s back in stock finally at least near me... Might be double the price than before COVID but they have 'em. Not sure what "Budget" means in this case since everything is going to be under/around $100 but still, I just wouldn't even ever bother with something that wasnt a Logitech C920/C922

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The C615 is a decent 1080p webcam and can be had for under $100

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'm not streaming or anything - its really just something that I can use for work zooms that doubles as a mic for VOIP in games. By budget, I mean like, as cheap as humanly possible.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have several old internal hard drives that have old photos on them. At least one of them may have been retired possibly due to a virus. I think most of them had some sort of issue causing them to be retired (they are several years old). What harm, if any, would come from hooking it up to my current computer? The operating system changed between the hard drives.

If I do hook one up, can I just browse through its folders to find the photos?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

I have several old internal hard drives that have old photos on them. At least one of them may have been retired possibly due to a virus. I think most of them had some sort of issue causing them to be retired (they are several years old). What harm, if any, would come from hooking it up to my current computer? The operating system changed between the hard drives.

If I do hook one up, can I just browse through its folders to find the photos?

Is this a Windows computer? Give Windows Sandbox a shot.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-windows-sandbox-windows-10

Otherwise, any of the options in this article will be safe: https://www.popsci.com/safely-open-USB-flash-drive/

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I'm looking for a lapdesk/lapboard to use while sitting in bed with a TKL keyboard and a Logitech gaming mouse. Any suggestions?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

tuyop posted:

Is this a Windows computer? Give Windows Sandbox a shot.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-windows-sandbox-windows-10

Otherwise, any of the options in this article will be safe: https://www.popsci.com/safely-open-USB-flash-drive/

Thank you!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's the best and fastest way to clone a drive these days? I haven't done that in years.

My mother's laptop has a lovely 500GB 5400 RPM drive so I bought her a 1 TB SSD. My goal is to bring my USB -> SATA cable, clone her current HDD to the SSD and then swap the disks.

I don't mind booting on some SystemRescueCD type tool/distro, or doing it from Windows, whatever works best and fastest. I just need to be sure the MBR and stuff is also carried over so it actually acts as the first bootable device. What are my options?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This no question.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Don’t try anything else because it won’t work as well.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
As usual, Goons deliver.

Thanks Marcus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use Clonezilla to do that. https://clonezilla.org/