Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I accidentally erased a hard drive partition while upgrading a computer (logical failure). I did this by reformatting the wrong hard drive from acronis true image I was running from a CD (easy mistake to make given how the names get displayed in programs run from bios sometimes). It's likely the reformatting happened multiple times by accident. I read about logical recovery, attempted data recovery with Puran file recovery, but this was basically only able to recover the file structure. Mostly video files were lost, they either don't play at all or play for a few seconds or minutes before reaching data corruption. It's inconvenient to lose, easily worth $100, maybe $750 at most. After realizing my mistake I made sure not to format the drive and it's been sitting disconnected for a year now. What should I do? I've been researching professional logical data failure recovery services, but it occurred to me somebody here might have good advice. I can make copies of the files I recovered, perhaps I should be using some kind of tool that can reformat most file extensions to make them error tolerant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU