Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Any reason why my onboard AMD Radeon 5350 (5400?) graphics says hardware acceleration is supported but when playing 1080p video in Windows 10 (via Kodi) it seems like the CPU is taking the brunt of the decoding (20% utilization for 720p, 70-100% for 1080p)?

DXVA is turned on in Kodi and dxdiag says all the hardware acceleration is enabled. Drivers are up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DeaconBlues posted:

A stab in the dark, but the HD videos you're trying to play aren't in the new-fangled x265 codec format, are they?

Oh poo poo, that's exactly it. I've added an exception to Sonarr for now, what else is there to do?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it reasonable in Canada to spend like $30 on an 80mm PWM fan for my HTPC case?

The 3.5" HDD is mounted like 3/4" above the CPU cooler so everything runs super hot and noisy if I don't babysit the fan speeds and I'm thinking a chassis fan will solve the problem. Though the price of quiet chassis fans is making me consider just 3D printing an adapter for the PSU space and screwing the drive down there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DeaconBlues posted:

There's no need to spend that much on an 80cm fan. The Arctic Cooling F8 should suit your needs for about 10 bucks. There's even a temperature controlled version if you want it to self-regulate its speed (the F8 TC).

I've used both for a non-critical bit of case cooling and they're very good value for money.

Do you think a case fan will solve the problem though?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DeaconBlues posted:

Not sure. It's worth a shot before you start 3D printing bespoke brackets. If you get the TC version it has like a 10cm wire with the temp sensor on the end: you can stick the sensor where you think is relevant and if you find a good spot it might save tweaking things whilst the rig is on.

I work with 3D printers so it would be very low-cost, but I'm reluctant because it's not really what the case was designed for and it's weird that the bracket designed for holding a 3.5" drive seems to cause a problem when used just that way. Like, the processor sits at ~60C (and HDD at 55C but feeling hot to the touch) with the drive above it, but <40C with the drive kind of hanging out in the empty PSU bay. I have one of those DC powered boards with an external PSU block so the CPU and HDD are the only things producing heat.

I'd also like to put a compact video card in there for HEVC playback someday and the drive blocks the PCI slot so maybe trying the case fan first is the way to go.

The build is an ASRock AM1H-ITX mobo with an AMD 5350 in a Silverstone ML05b case. Stock cooler. The HDD is a 4TB WD Red, with the OS running on a 60gb SSD.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well, that Arctic Cooler F8 is pretty awesome. Six dollar fan for exhaust and the HDD and CPU are running around 30C with the CPU topping out at 48C during a stress test but the HDD staying cool. Thanks, thread. No weird hacky custom drive holder for me!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dude at work wants to record F1 races he receives through his cable connection and archive them as files. At first, I thought a RPi with HDHomerun and a large external drive would do the trick, but I think the USB bandwidth competing between the HDD and a USB-HDMI dongle will cause problems, and there seem to be a ton of hardware encoding and codec license problems with the RPi as well.

So, that narrows the options to some kind of HTPC. I think he needs a video card, a capture card, and a fairly beefy processor, on a full-sized ATX board. Is that right or can he get away with a capture card on a mini-ITX board with like an i3?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pikey posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good bluetooth dongle for use with a dual shock 4 controller? I just purchased this one from amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I'm getting poor signal strength causing the controller to drop out all the time. I'm only sitting about 10 feet away from the dongle, but my computer is behind me so line of sight is blocked by my couch and body. If I move the controller into line of sight the latency drops down to 1-2 ms so I think its just the interference that's causing it to drop out.

I also have a logitech bluetooth keyboard and mouse which work great in the same position without and dropping out so apparently they have no interference issues. The alternative to using the dual shock 4 is to just buy the logitech wireless gamepad but I'd rather not have to purchase another controller.

I have this one. Not that it's much help. I'm pretty much line of sight with all the devices I use. One thing I found at first was that my computer case isn't shielded. I hooked up my wireless devices through a hub and USB 2.0 extender and all problems were solved.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 20, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does it show up in diskpart or disk management at all?

Dumb question but it has power going to it, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rusty posted:

My CPU fan isn't kicking in a lot of the time. I can go in to the MSI utility and manually start it, but I only ever do this when I realize it hasn't kicked in all day. Today the whole system was especially hot. Once I get the fan on, it cools down in a couple minutes. Sometimes it does kick in on its own, any idea what could be going on? The sensor seems fine as it is reporting as hot in the MSI utility and speed fan.

The fan is off, like, totally? You must have a crazy heat sink. Does your bios have fan speed settings that you can tinker with?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can get a replacement cord for like <$20.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh, in that case if you absolutely need to you can tear apart an old 2.5" external and cannibalize the USB-SATA interface to access your files on any other computer. Unless you have poo poo encrypted your files are just sitting on there. Just take it to a library or something and use their computers if all else fails?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GopherFlats posted:

Thanks for the help and recommendations guys. I opened up the laptop this afternoon and the jack was just a 4 pin connector so I ordered the new power jack, found one on amazon for like :10bux: So we will see if that solves the problem, if not I guess I'm ordering a 2.5" transfer case.

I don't know if you need a case, just a USB-SATA interface. I got a really great Anker one for $25 Canadian, so like $3 US.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Fast am-I-stupid question: Combination of Windows (8.1) and HP Stream 11 laptop.

I refreshed the device to clear all the crap out of it and sort of 'start over' and it worked great a couple days. I worked with it a bit two days ago half in the sun/shade (about an 80 degree day), and it got kinda noticably warm after about 10-15 minutes of use. So was I anyway, and so I took it back to my air conditioned office.

I used it another full day, no issues. Today I took it to my cool home and let it update the jack jumpin hell out of itself (Windows 8.1 updates all over again), come back home after lunch and suddenly the backlight doesn't work. If I shine a flashlight into the screen I can see brighter imagery in the murk, so it isn't an issue with the device trying to output an image to a projector that isn't there or something.

I was thinking maybe it's some setting in the BIOS or in Windows that got flipped and now it doesn't trigger the backlight at first, but after additional thought, maybe I baked the little bastard and it just took a couple more days to kill itself. How screwed do you suppose I am here, and what are my options.

Have you tried booting into another OS using like an Ubuntu liveUSB or just the installation media for the laptop to rule out software?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I'm going to try this next, but I'm not very confident. It's an HP, so the restore is on a separate partition, and I've already tried wiping the OS partition and reinstalling that from the restore partition, having to shine a flashlight into it the whole time. Even accessing the BIOS screen for boot options and whatnot won't light it up. I'm guessing that Linux won't fare any better, but I guess we'll see.

edit: yep, no worky. Linux Mint live boots up just fine, no backlight. Bightness control shows in the gloom and does nothing. Am I boned? Next steps?

Someone's going to recommend googling your laptop model number + backlight or screen repair.

But, odds are you'll just spend $60-$300, two weeks of waiting for parts, and five hours scouring the carpet for lost screws only to break sixteen crucial paper-thin plastic tabs and plugging your laptop into a monitor for a few months while you save for a MacBook Pro so you never have to go through this again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Macs break all the time, telling people to drop thousands on one so this "never happens again" is downright cruel.

I didn't say it wouldn't happen again, I meant that you wouldn't be the guy looking for dropped screws because some apple tech will do it instead!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My HTPC has become an unexpected plex server for friends with Xbox ones and tablets and the CPU (AMD 5350) is barely up to the task of transcoding. It has one low-profile PCI-E slot and I'd also like a graphics card for couch PC gaming (though this isn't a huge deal because I can also use steam streaming from my beefier desktop). Do graphics cards play a role in transcoding or is there another special piece of hardware I can use?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have an HDD in my case that's clicking loudly. It's probably 10-15 years old at this point. Ordinarily I wouldn't mind if it was only in use every so often, but it's also the only drive that Windows will accept for File History. I can't find any way to tell it to use the silent other HDD that it can't even see so the clicking is now driving me crazy.

My question is: What can I do to stop the clicking? Should I be concerned about the drive otherwise? It scans fine in everything but CrystalDiskInfo which tells me it's just got some bad unallocated sectors.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 12, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

That hard disk is dying, move everything off of it you need. Hard drives are very cheap now and you might be able to image it before it dies if you're quick and it's not too far gone already. I've never used file history but I'm sure you can make it work on another drive that's not about to give out.

Yeah that's what I figured. :(

I have another drive of unknown age that's still going strong and I did the random shot in the dark act of copying the folder called "FileHistory" over and it worked! I'll just pop this clicky piece of poo poo out and send it to e-waste. Oh well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Ok so I was updating to Windows 10 2004 (because Windows said my current version was out of date via a prompt) and then this happened during one of the reboots,

I’m guessing that Windows update deleted the MBR from the drive during the update or it got corrupted somehow.

I’ve checked the bios and the it still sees the drive and the boot order is correct. If I manually select the drive via boot order it still gives the same error.

What are my options here? I really don’t want to nuke the drive and start over. I have a few other Windows 10 PCs but I don’t know if Windows 10 can make me a diagnostic USB boot drive.

How hosed am I?

If you can get your hands on a piece of recovery media you can try going into the command line on that and using the fixmbr and bootrec commands. A la this guide: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3113585/how-to-repair-windows-master-boot-record-and-fix-your-bricked-pc.html

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there some kind of isthereanydeal type website that’ll do hardware components? I’m just looking for a like, 8-12tb NAS hard drive (not really related to my last question!) and I’m thinking an ironwolf but I don’t really want to spend $300 CAD on this upgrade.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can I get some opinions on network adapters? The current bluetooth dongle (I use a wired connection for internet) I'm using is not long for this world and I have a feeling I'm going to need to get on putting an actual wireless card in there. I have a B550 board that has an M.2(e?) slot for network interfaces. I also have open PCIe lanes. I'm not sure how the antenna situation works for the m.2 network thing but I like the idea of keeping the lane free since I'll probably end up with a sound card in there at some point as well.

Looks like this MSI AX916C has a pretty beefy antenna that I can position so that there's minimal interference between my stuff.

But this Intel AX201NGW m.2 interface has an expansion slot plate with a couple of antennas as well. They're just like, right near a metal case which seems less than ideal unless you can buy antennas that will let you position them farther away from the case somehow. This AX200 doesn't even seem to have antennas so how does that work?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
In addition to this, never use cables from one modular psu with another, different modular psu. They are not compatible.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’ve noticed that the power saver power profile on my desktop brings the CPU temps down by like 6-15C (from 45-55C to <40) and keeps things extremely quiet. It also basically never bounces around, it just stays at a stable like 38C. I have a Ryzen 3600/AMD 5700XT build. Hyper 212 cooler.

I haven’t really noticed any issues with performance during office tasks in this profile and I ran Cinebench and it gave me a score of 3415. With the Ryzen Balanced plan I got 3650. Is that ~7% performance hit really the whole compromise of power saving? Is there anything wrong with running in power saving all the time except when I play games?

Is there any way to fully automate the switch? I made a couple of autohotkey scripts to switch between the two modes, is there any way to have it identify a given set of programs as a game and switch to the balanced/high performance profile?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Good Sphere posted:

Lenovo is having a huge Black Friday sale.

Someone I know was deciding between Mac or PC laptop. They are considering this instead: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x1/x1-carbon-gen-8-/p/20U9005MUS

of this:

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/specs/

Is there anything to watch out for with that Lenovo laptop? I think they would be happy getting the ThinkPad over over the MacBook, especially for the price.

I had an X1 Carbon for work awhile ago. It was a fine Windows laptop but the trackpad was horrible. At that price I would recommend it to anyone who won't/can't use a MBA, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Let's say I want to conduct an interview via zoom \ skype \ whatever, and want my side of the conversation not to look like utter poo poo because I'm literally using a cell phone (i.e, not like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDEhjOb9cE) - what would I want to purchase?

Just get a nice webcam that the Wirecutter recommends. Or use OBS or NDI to use the nice rear camera on your phone. My Logitech C920s works well but I had to wait a month for it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

I wouldn't trust the Wirecutter,

Oh? What happened?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Groovy, thanks. I'm guessing on a 4 year old PC there's no point in having 32gb? And if I get 2x8, how does this look?
https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233859?Description=16%20gb%20ram&cm_re=16_gb%20ram-_-20-233-859-_-Product

Also should I keep my 2 sticks of 4 in there, or just the new stuff?

24gb should be plenty and there’s almost definitely no reason to get rid of your existing 8gb.

You can also usually sell on old components for people with legacy hardware, so it’s not totally a sink cost if/when you upgrade to ddr5

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I’ve got a UPS and the outlets are fairly close together and the things that go into it have those big obnoxious wall warts.

I’ve been using those 6” extension cords/“outlet savers” but they now cost like $8 each on Amazon (Canada) so I’m wondering where else I can find them for cheap. Any recommendations? They do need to be grounded.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oof I guess if I get 10 I'll never need more again. Thanks though!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Helios Grime posted:

So I've got myself a fancy schmancy Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 7 IMH05) from a black friday deal and now feel a bit dumb with setting up multiple monitors.
I work a lot from home so i already have a cheap and good Dell monitor that is totally fine for my office work. But now that I have a machine that can play actual games, I'd like to invest into a monitor that also can show that off. But I've been getting mixed messages on how to do that when I want to use both a gaming monitor and office monitor with the laptop.
As far as I can see is that when I want to use a docking station that the powersupply won't work fot the laptop (over thunderbolt) I have and the refresh rate is capped at 60Hz which then wouldn't make sense to spend money on a high refresh rate monitor.
What options do I have other than a dock with without spending for an option that can't even fully use the hardware? Attach the gaming monitor over hdmi and the other monitor with a an adaptor through thunderbolt or USB-C?

Yes. Or a monitor that can daisy chain off the DisplayPort (over USB-C) from the laptop.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have an ASRock motherboard and you can tune fan speed in Windows with A-Tuning. Do I have to run A-Tuning for the fan speed profiles to apply or is once enough?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes. Don't install any motherboard tools, set your fan curves in the Bios so they apply globally.

Ok, at least it was useful to get values that perform well without having to restart the computer n+1 times.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If I’m looking for a computer to handle more vigorous computer things, say 4K plex transcoding, video compression, running a VM or two, and maybe hosting a website at some point. Would I be better off going with:

An intel NUC, say an i5 NUC 8?

A SFF Ryzen 3600/GTX 1660 PC?

Either option would be running Ubuntu or Debian.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Well....my grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago and she had a ton of photos. I wanted to scan them all and upload them to a shared site for the family. I suppose I could just take some time to scan them individually.....because it really doesn't seem worth spending a few hundred dollars on one of these feed scanners for this one application.

Check your local library for this kind of thing. Lots have either connections to other NGOs or gear you can use or loan. If it’s safe, of course.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

Prior to COVID, I was working from home 3 days per week. I kept my work laptop at the office and I would use my home computer (desktop PC) to connect to the VPN and remote into my laptop in the office. I have two monitors on my desktop and I like my setup.

My laptop in the office began to have problems so they shipped a new laptop to my house, along with a dock, cables, a keyboard, and mouse.

Unfortunately I cannot simply continue to connect via VPN to this new laptop because they have to physically be in the office for that to work (connected to LAN I believe).

My setup now consists of:

Work laptop connected to a dock, which is connected to one of my monitors, with its own keyboard and mouse.

Home desktop PC connected to my other monitor, with its own keyboard and mouse.

So I have two keyboards and two mice on my desk. I keep my personal keyboard shoved awkwardly in a corner of my desk when not in use but I find myself accessing it frequently (mainly web browsing and Spotify). I also still need our desktop accessible for certain files and applications so I can't just disconnect it and rely on my phone for web browsing and Spotify.

I would like to take advantage of my dual screens for work, but with my current setup, the only way I can see that happening is to get a third monitor, dedicating one to my personal computer (which would still require accessing my personal computer separately). I also don't have the real estate for a third monitor.

Is there a smarter way I can be doing this? I was thinking to when I was a kid in the 80s, and we had a little switch on the back of our TV to swap between the Atari and the antenna on the TV to watch shows. Does anything like that exist that would allow me to have a single keyboard to use with both computers, switching conveniently as needed?

You could just use a VNC app like Jump or Microsoft RDP to get into your laptop on your home network, preventing all that complexity with KVMs and stuff. Should be the same as your vpn setup, just a little faster.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

The significant other has about 150gb of photos and music they'd like to back up. What manufacturers/models of external HDDs/SSDs are most reliable these days?

I would also consider online backup services if the price was right. It would have to be pretty good though as the backups aren't going to be accessed often and her work already has a solution for storing documents.

What device are the photos and music currently on?

If a computer, just grab any 1tb Seagate or WD HDD and Arq backup to Backblaze B2, which will cost you $1/month for 200gb. That'll give you an onsite backup to an external drive and offsite to a cloud server. In this case, I wouldn't even buy an external drive but just expand the storage in the computer so that it can contain these files normally, then back them up to Backblaze every week or so.

If an Android phone, just use Google backup and sync and pay $4/month for 200gb.

If an iPhone, get 200gb iCloud space for $3/month.

I don't know your significant other, so maybe this is off-base, but the only backups that work for most people I know are the ones that are automatic, regular, and usually stored on devices that can't be broken/lost/forgotten somehow. So cloud backups of some kind.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 30, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Six amps for RGB? What are they, spotlights??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

I have several old internal hard drives that have old photos on them. At least one of them may have been retired possibly due to a virus. I think most of them had some sort of issue causing them to be retired (they are several years old). What harm, if any, would come from hooking it up to my current computer? The operating system changed between the hard drives.

If I do hook one up, can I just browse through its folders to find the photos?

Is this a Windows computer? Give Windows Sandbox a shot.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-windows-sandbox-windows-10

Otherwise, any of the options in this article will be safe: https://www.popsci.com/safely-open-USB-flash-drive/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

All I did today is install a cumulative windows update and now my Bluetooth is completely gone. No icon, troubleshoot says there’s no hardware for it, reinstalling the Intel drivers from ASUS does nothing.

-ASUS B550m Wifi Plus
-Bluetooth enabled in BIOS

I just bought this motherboard like a week ago, could the Bluetooth controller have just died?

I had this issue as well. I had to turn off the computer, unplug it and plug it back in. No amount of driver fuckery corrected it otherwise.