Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I've come to the conclusion that my system is most likely RAM limited since web browsers tend to crash when I have a lot of tabs open, streaming audio, running Word/Excel and doing any other significant multitasking. Games also seem to have started preferring 8 GB and I've had to lower my settings with newer stuff.

I have a Core i5-760 (2.8 GHz) and 4 GB of DDR3 running at 1333 MHz (although my Asus P7P55D-E Pro claims to support RAM at 1600 MHz). Two of the mobo's four slots are filled with the 2x2 GB modules, and I'm trying to figure out the best way of upgrading to 8 or more GB of RAM.

Should I just buy a kit with 2 of the 2GB modules and stick those in the open two slots bringing me to a total of 8 GB? I'm guessing this means all of the RAM would be limited to the lower 1333 MHz speed, but I don't know if this makes any real difference. This would be the cheapest option.

Would it make more sense to buy 2x4 GB modules to stick in the two open slots, giving me a total of 12 GB? I don't know if this is even technically possible, would provide real world performance, or if all installed RAM modules have to be the same size.

Should I just take out the current 2x2GB 1333 modules and replace them with 2x4GB 1600 modules for 8 GB total?

Or, is there any real benefit to having 16 GB nowadays for gaming and having tons of different streams/browser tabs open? I could max out the mobo's supported capacity with 4x4GB modules if there's any real reason for that. Would appreciate any advice!

Edit: Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do you plan to keep this same system for a while yet or if not then to replace it with one that still uses DDR3? You might as well spring for 16 GB now in that case,

I hope to hang onto this system for 2-3 more years at least, with a possible upgrade to Windows 10 if there looks to be any benefit at that point. I'd like to still be able to play modern games being released over the next 2-3 years with this system with midrange settings, so I'll likely end up getting a newer graphics card (to replace the current GTX 460 1GB) before long in addition to the RAM upgrade unless people feel that the 2.8GHz quad Core i5 760 CPU is still going to be too much of a bottleneck that even 8 or 16 GB of RAM and a fast video card cannot overcome.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 17, 2015

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
You rarely see a high efficiency PSU included in builds, with 80+ Platinum being rare and 80+ Titanium being almost unheard of. Of course, people put their money into the components they view as being the most important.

If that system is going to be used for many years being powered on for much of the day, the savings in energy alone will pay for itself. Even more importantly the manufacturer of an 80+ platinum PSU has to use the absolute best components to deliver such high efficiency, which along with a 12+ year warranty on a lot of high end PSU's make it pretty attractive from a reliability standpoint. If an 80+ Titanium PSU was like 5x the cost of 80+ Gold, I could see why nobody cares and Gold is good enough, but when it's barely over 2x the cost... Anyone know why?

Edit: Not to mention that most of the inefficiency in lower grade PSUs is expressed in the form of heat!

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 8, 2018