Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've got a dual monitor question. I've recently swapped from having two crappy monitors to a single glorious LG 38GL950G. What I've found is I'm missing having a second screen for having mail/browser/whatever up while I'm playing games.

I've heard that having two monitors with wildly different resolutions running off one card is a serious performance hit. Is that accurate? If so is it viable getting a dirt cheap $30 pci-1x video card to drive a browsing only second monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

phosdex posted:

Having different refresh rates is problematic on Nvidia.

The LG is 144hz and everything else I own is 60. Is the second card thing an option? I get conflicting reports from my google searches on how well Windows/Nvidia drivers react to such things

e: I suppose the three options as I see it if the refresh rate thing is a problem are:

1) deal with it and skip the second monitor
2) get a $30 video card and use a monitor I have
3) get something cheap like https://www.amazon.com/Acer-KG241Q-Pbiip-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B07MG85X1M/ so I just have two 144hz monitors

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 22, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think the ryzen 3600 is the sweet spot for either activity these days

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I always used to use https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I have no idea how up to date it is these days

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I assume you've all pre-ordered psus too?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
the rtx 30s have a new power connector tho

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
e: meant to put this in the home networking thread

Azhais fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 17, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Danknificent posted:

Is there a preferred or least hated vendor for prebuilt/custom gaming PCs? Like among the cybertrons and ibuypowers of the world?

Linus tech tips did a secret shopper comparison of the various big prebuilt vendors last year. They had their part time accountant place all the orders so they wouldn't get cherry picked review machines

https://youtu.be/rzpYkpZX8qw

That's part 1/4. Might be of help

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Xander77 posted:

Let's say I want to conduct an interview via zoom \ skype \ whatever, and want my side of the conversation not to look like utter poo poo because I'm literally using a cell phone (i.e, not like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDEhjOb9cE) - what would I want to purchase?

Consumer reports likes the logitech c920s as their best overall, or the logitech c310 if you're looking to spend even less. Or the logitech brio if you want to spend a lot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The motherboard manual should have all the diagnostic beep codes in it

e: could also be the video card, try reseating that

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kild posted:

Are there any wireless headset recommendations?

I don't use a wireless and thus am no help to you, but there is a headphone thread that might also be worth asking in:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&pagenumber=299

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My experience with my fire tablet is that it is appallingly slow doing anything other than being a kindle or watching prime

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This popped up on craft computing a couple months ago, a pi based ip kvm

https://youtu.be/CyEpshm16HY

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Upon watching, that only takes one source in. If I want 4 sources, I have to buy 4 of them at $300 a crack.

Well, it's only about $100 in materials for one, but yeah

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Any opinions on HP Elitebooks? I wanted a small form factor PC for WFH (yes, starting now, everything is weird in Australia). Most intensive thing I do is look at Google sheets so it should be fine? Won't be playing games.

I work for HPE so that is my official work issued laptop. I have no strong opinions on it, works fine. I can run chrome, slack, teams, outlook, excel, and putty without issues and that's as taxed as I get it. Runs my two 27" monitors without problems

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Depending what you mean by tower, I just built a server using the Fractal Design Node 304

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LHF4FO/

It's got room for 6 internal 3.5s (4 if you're putting in a huge video card but I just used the Intel on chip video). It's only 8x15x10. Limited to mini itx but that's not a huge issue for the stuff you're talking about.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bad RAM/Badly seated RAM would be my first guess. I'd pull out the sticks and make sure they're clean and seated firmly. If you're still getting the error put them in one at a time and find the bad one.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So what's the best video card you can get these days that doesn't involve getting scalped?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, that's about what I figured. Time to go see what I can pull from the PC graveyard in the back room since it seems I'm not going to get much better

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've not done it but I think you'd be able to just plug it into the other slot and use something like macrium reflect to clone the drive, then switch the boot order in the bios

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought an LG smart TV lately, and I don't have cable, so the only thing really connected to it is the PS5, a LAN cable, and a USB stick loaded with movies

if I press the PS button on the PS5 controller, it turns on the console, and the TV also turns itself on at the same time. This is fine.

the problem is that if we turn on the TV via the TV remote, it also turns on the PS5 at the same time, presumably because this is the only device that's connected to it so it defaults to that

there has GOT TO BE some way to stop this, shouldn't there?

General settings -> simplink

Fiddle with the power sync settings

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My shield is great. And GeForce now at 4k is a nice extra option

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I always liked crucial for ssds, but yeah, a real backup is best. Backblaze is $7/mo for unlimited backups on a single PC, external drives included. It's something like $5/tb if you need to backup network drives

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Also be aware you can buy a Windows license for like $20 in SA Mart.

Only if you want something fancy like WIndows 11, 10 is just $15

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any decent cardioid mic should handle that fairly well, just need to get it setup such that your speakers are fully behind the mic. Basically the same thing you see streamers with, mic on a boom

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Windows 98 posted:

Right now I have a 240tb server but I am quickly running out of space. I was thinking of just adding a disk shelf, but I have a few questions. Firstly, is the 1gb RAM per 1tb rule for TrueNAS a bunch of bullshit? I have 512gb of RAM, but my concern is that if I will be exceed that rule if I add another 240tb. Truth be told I was mulling over 480tb, which would put me way past that. I've popped into the homelab discord and asked but I feel like half the responses are saying it's bullshit, and the other half are saying it's real. I don't know who to believe.

Unless you have dedupe on or a ton of people using it at the same time you're probably fine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

No lockscreen ads? That's what the description says, and it's true for Fire tablets.

The screen ads are just book recommendations and I see them for all of 2 seconds as the thing wakes up

I don't care about $20 in the slightest and even in that context I can't see the point in spending extra to avoid this

Azhais fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 2, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geemer posted:

In the late 90s/early 00s I got an 8 GB hard drive and thought I'd never ever ever have to worry about storage again.
Now I can't even find USB thumbdrives smaller than that to stick in brand new lab equipment that can't handle FAT32 larger than 4 GB.

Remember these bad boys

10mb of internal storage, not a tape in sight. Back when mfm meant something completely different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

H110Hawk posted:

Has any "reputable" brand made those AA-form factor USB rechargable lithium batteries yet? Basically these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Batteries-Lithium-Charging-Indicator/dp/B0BT4FTH85/

We go through a lot of AA batteries in our roku remote because we use the headphone port on it all the time. It would be nice to not be burning through alkaline batteries, but nimh rechargeable batteries don't cut it.

Fenix makes good ones, but they are not inexpensive

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-18650-rechargeable-batteries