Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Hi
Looking for some help.
My current system is
GA-B75M-D3V motherboard
I5 3570k cpu
8gb ram
660 ti
1 hdd and 2 sdd
Silverstone 450w sfx psu

I've just bought a Palit gtx 1070.

I installed the new gfx card, and the pic just displays the bios screen and then goes no further. I can't actually get into bios, and it beeps about once every 30 seconds, and then eventually the screen goes off.

I put the old 660 back in and everything works fine.

So, question is - what is going wrong and how can I fix it?

My psu is below the min recommended level (500w) but I think it should be fine and should at least boot and if it was a problem that should come later under stress. The 660ti has the same max power draw and takes 2 6 pin power rather than 1 8 pin.

I took the card back to the store today and they tested it and it's not faulty. I can still refund it but want to get it working as I'll surely have the same problem with a different card.

Guy in the shop suggested resetting the cmos. I don't really know what that is but will try. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

On the subject of sound cards:

My pc is hooked up to a tv over hdmi (via an amp) with 5.1 speakers. Picture and sound go out over hdmi, with sound from the onboard card. Would a separate sound card still send audio over hdmi or would it insist on using its own output?

Cheers

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

I’ve just bought a new Surface Pro with the aim of having it replace my laptop and iPad, and I’ve got a few questions. I’ve got the keyboard cover but no pen:

Using it as a tablet I’d like to use multi-touch gestures like I would on an iPad, eg three fingers swipe up to get a list of open windows to switch to. But I can’t seem to make it work. Is it possible? How?

The brightness seems to be set to automatic. But when using it it quite often just seems to gradually, but obviously, tick up or down in brightness, and then back again. Is that normal and should I just turn auto off? Or any tips on how to improve it?

Are there any tips / guides anywhere on any surface-specific settings I should be adjusting to get the best out of it?

And finally, is there a general guide anywhere on how best to set windows 10 up in terms of things like privacy settings etc? I’m not too worried about actual privacy but would like to turn off anything unnecessary that would save battery.

Thanks!

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Thanks both.

Understand your concerns but got a decent deal so paid £750 for a pro 6 with type cover, so I’m not going to get a good laptop + tablet at that price. I don’t need it for anything heavy duty so I think it should be fine power wise. I can see why it wouldn’t suit you though.

I’m quite surprised windows doesn’t support multi touch gestures, but good to know I’m not going crazy for not finding them and I’m sure I’ll get used to it. And I’ll take a look at those battery tips.

I bought it from John Lewis and so get a 2 year warranty as standard, hopefully that will do me well enough...

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Hi
I’m going to upgrade my pc, from an i3570 to an amd 3600. If I just swap over the motherboard, cpu, ram and keep the same drives, will it boot into windows? I’m going to do a clean install anyway, but just wondered if I could do that from windows or if I’d need to get something else to make it boot first?

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Lambert posted:

It will boot just fine.

If you go for a clean install, be sure to install in UEFI mode, not legacy boot mode.

Thanks. I think I might already be in legacy mode. Do I need to try to switch first?

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Thanks both, wish me luck!

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Hi
Looking for help with my pc.

Upgraded about 6 weeks ago from:

I5 3570
8gb ram
1 x hdd 2 x ssd
1070 gtx
Corsair 650w psu (3 years old)

To

B450 mortar
Ryzen 3600 cpu
16gb 3200mhz Gskill ram

Everything else as before but with an extra sdd.

To start with everything worked fine.
About a week or so ago, the pc would hard reset sometimes after booting into windows (after a few clicks / key presses) then work ok after restarting.

This weekend, I pressed the power button and just got nothing. After a few minutes of unplugging the power cable and putting it back again, trying the power button, I just left it for a minute whilst thinking what to try next. It then just turned itself on and seemed to work fine.

It now keeps doing that every now and then - just won’t turn on for a while. Last time I tried it it just turned off and wouldn’t turn on (and won’t turn on again for the time being at least).

I tried updating the bios to the very latest one, but that hasn’t helped.

Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting? I’m not well set up to keep taking it apart and testing bits, but I guess I may have to.

In the weeks it was working it wasn’t used heavily, maybe an hour a day on average. It’s left off when I don’t use it. It has had some heavy use though eg 1-2 hours of gaming including metro exodus. The latest shut down was running gears of war 5. Since the shut downs started I’ve managed lighter gaming (guacamelee 2) for a couple of hours straight.

I’m going to try to log temperatures next time I can actually boot. If that sounds like a good idea, what’s the best software?

Thanks all

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

all_purpose_cat_boy posted:

Hi
Looking for help with my pc.

Upgraded about 6 weeks ago from:

I5 3570
8gb ram
1 x hdd 2 x ssd
1070 gtx
Corsair 650w psu (3 years old)

To

B450 mortar
Ryzen 3600 cpu
16gb 3200mhz Gskill ram

Everything else as before but with an extra sdd.

To start with everything worked fine.
About a week or so ago, the pc would hard reset sometimes after booting into windows (after a few clicks / key presses) then work ok after restarting.

This weekend, I pressed the power button and just got nothing. After a few minutes of unplugging the power cable and putting it back again, trying the power button, I just left it for a minute whilst thinking what to try next. It then just turned itself on and seemed to work fine.

It now keeps doing that every now and then - just won’t turn on for a while. Last time I tried it it just turned off and wouldn’t turn on (and won’t turn on again for the time being at least).

I tried updating the bios to the very latest one, but that hasn’t helped.

Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting? I’m not well set up to keep taking it apart and testing bits, but I guess I may have to.

In the weeks it was working it wasn’t used heavily, maybe an hour a day on average. It’s left off when I don’t use it. It has had some heavy use though eg 1-2 hours of gaming including metro exodus. The latest shut down was running gears of war 5. Since the shut downs started I’ve managed lighter gaming (guacamelee 2) for a couple of hours straight.

I’m going to try to log temperatures next time I can actually boot. If that sounds like a good idea, what’s the best software?

Thanks all

Hi
I turned off xmp in bios and it has worked fine since, although the ram is obviously working at lower speeds. Any suggestions or a guide as to how to get it to as close as possible to max? I don’t really understand all the bios ram settings.
Thanks!

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Gray Matter posted:

What BIOS are you using? MSI B450 boards are notoriously poo poo at playing well with Ryzen 3000 series (source: have Tomahawk and 3600). They are slowly trickling out BIOS updates which seem to be incrementally fixing some of the issues and in some cases creating new ones. A browse through Reddit.com/r/msi_gaming may yield more specific answers

I updated bios a few weeks ago, so I think there’s one newer version. Maybe I just need to wait it out until they stop releasing new ones and then try the latest. It’s not causing any problems at the minute, but I guess it will cause a bottleneck eventually.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I’ll start here.

I’ve got a windows 10 pc, new LG C9 tv, and an old-ish onkyo tx sr 308 av amp connected to surround sound.

With my old screen I connected pc -> amp -> tv, and had 5.1 surround sound.

With the new tv I need to hook the pc direct to the tv to get access to higher resolutions / frame rates via HDMI 2.

The sound then goes back to the amp through the HDMI ARC channel.

The problem is that with this setup, in windows 10, I can only select 2.1 audio, or Dolby Atmos, not 5.1/7.1

I think with some TVs they aren’t able to pass through surround sound via arc, but that doesn’t look to be the case with this one.

Any ideas where to start trying to solve this?

Thanks

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Puddin posted:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3072900-lg-c9-earc-info-thread.html

Looks like it doesn't pass through 5.1.

Does your motherboard have optical out? If so you should be able to connect it via TOSLINK for audio.

Very helpful, thanks. It does have optical out, I have tried that with no success so far but there must be some simple reason why it’s not working so I’ll just try harder.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Spermando posted:

I have this laptop and I've just started doing video editing. It works fine, but the guy who sends me the videos says I should install an SSD. I have no experience opening computers and changing parts. Do I have to get rid of the laptop's HDD or can I have both running at the same time? Will it work with this SSD?

Given it’s reasonably new, reasonably large and not super cheap, my bet would be that you can probably fit an SSD in there as well as your hard drive. That would make life easy as you wouldn’t need to transfer stuff over.

If that was the case then it would be either an M2 drive (like the one you’ve linked) or an older MSATA drive, which looks similar but just with a slightly different shaped connector.

I’m afraid you’re either going to have to find the manual (and even that might not help), do some good googling, or open it up and have a look. If there is a slot for a drive then hopefully it would be labelled.

Whatever you go for, it’s probably worth buying one from somewhere that you can send it back easily if it turns out it doesn’t fit. If you can get one working it will make the whole thing miles faster.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I compared it against a 1080p 60hz monitor (same as the tv), and I limited the fps to 60 with the Nvidia control panel. Side by side, I could see the tv was some frames behind the monitor. Not by much because the difference wasn’t immediately apparent, but it was noticeable when opening the menu or other actions that made sudden big changes to the image.

TVs, particularly older and cheaper ones, often have significant input lag. Game mode sometime helps, but sometimes it makes no difference and is just about turning off “picture enhancement” stuff that makes games look worse.

There are websites that list models and lag, you could try Googling what you have. But there’s probably not much you can do about it I’m afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

my 4k TV supports HDMI 2.0, and not 2.1, which as I understand it means it can do 1080p @ 120 Hz, or it can do 4k @ 60 Hz, but it cannot do 4k @ 120 Hz

is my PS5 and/or the TV going to be "intelligent" enough such that if I select the 120 Hz "Performance" mode for a game, it'll know that it needs to downgrade the resolution to 1080p (which the TV then upscales to 4k) to run at 120 Hz, or do I need to manually change the output resolution on the PS5's settings myself?

I don’t have a ps5 so don’t know about 4K vs 1080p but saw this yesterday https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-playstation-5-1440p-support-tested
So 1440p120 might be an option, and that article suggests it will test 60 and 120hz modes first and then remember which work and which don’t.

That said, your tv having hdmi2.0 means the cable can carry 1080/1440 and 120hz. It doesn’t guarantee that your tv will actually go above 60 regardless of res. Many don’t, so it might not unless it specifically says somewhere.