Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's entirely possible that you just had a small arc inside the power supply plug. That produces heat, melting, and scorching.

For a prebuilt machine, the manufacturer likely sourced power supplies wholesale and who knows who actually made it. I would certainly trash that one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a headset with mic for under $60? Everything on Newegg is pretty similiar and all the reviews cite the same durability / comfort issues.

I would avoid the computer gamer market of headset/mic stuff. Corporations buy from outfits like Plantronics or Jabra. They're typically more expensive, but you can find older models for a reasonable price, and they're far more reliable/durable. They're also lightweight and ergonomic. They're used in call centers so they're designed to be comfortable to wear continuously for an 8-hour shift.

Keep in mind the audio quality is intended for good sound for IP telephony rather than listening to music: if you want hi fidelity headphones then Titor has it right, get separate headphones and mic. If you want hands-free IP telephony like with Skype, or you want to yell curse words at online people while you play MMOs, then a Plantronics or Jabra headset is a good choice.

I've been using a Plantronics GN2000 for about six years with no complaints.

Here's a $30 set on Amazon that has excellent reviews.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

7.1 refers to three drivers on each side, one in the center front, and a subwoofer. I don't think headphones can possibly be 7.1, even if they have multiple drivers on each side, because they cannot have a single central channel.

They can simulate a 7.1-like experience, perhaps so well that a listener couldn't tell the difference, but if headphone makers are using 7.1 as a descriptor that's kind of stupid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Kind of a weird question for this thread, but I am looking for a little standalone device that can erase HDD's and SSD's, ideally to the standard military standard. I am aware I can do this in most machines, but it is for a production line and it would be better to have a simple plug and play device to expedite the process.

Do you want to re-use the drives after securely erasing them, or is this erasure prior to recycling/disposal for security purposes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have an all-in-one printer with a scanner that has finally crapped out (Canon Pixma MP530). I tried to fix it but it needs a new print head, which costs more than replacing the printer.

I don't want it any more, because we have a laser printer that we use for B&W printing. But, we still need a scanner. Ideally a scanner that can do sheet-fed/duplex, but it needs to have a flat bed so we can scan pages out of a sketchbook or book with a spine.

I went onto Amazon and it's weird. If I buy a scanner only, with a flat bed plus a sheet feeder, prices start at around $200 and go up from there. But, all-in-one printers that include flatbed scanners + sheet feeders start at like $50!

What the heck?

Should I buy a cheap all-in-one just for the scanner, and if so, what should I get? Ideally it should not require ink to be installed in order to print, because we almost never used our inkjet all-in-one for printing but the ink dries out over time regardless which is stupid and dumb. And it's extra dumb that an ink cartridge error blocks the entire loving thing from working, that's unacceptable.

Or do I need to spend $250 just for a scanner? This is for very light duty/occasional use, not business use... we scan something maybe once every couple of months, but it's very nice to be able to stick in a stack of sheets and let it run. The flatbed part is the essential part.

Basically please A) tell me what to get to let me scan and B) tell me if the scanners on ~$100 printers will suit our needs. I don't really care about other features like wireless, fax, printing envelopes, etc. Smaller footprint is better. Thanks!

e. Oh this is for Windows machines running Win7 to 10 only, don't care about mac compatibility.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alereon posted:

Color laser all-in-one? The Printer Megathread is over here.

OK, I will ask there too, but really I'm asking about scanners, not printers... I don't need a color printer and I'm only considering a printer at all because it seems to be a cheaper way to get a flatbed + duplex document scanner.

e. Thanks for the suggestion, fishmech, I'll take a look at that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fair enough, but we don't really print in color (the color printing on my Canon has been broken for years and we don't care). And laser color is a lot more expensive for a feature we're not using.