Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Titor posted:

I'm curious, how did you exactly find the number count? Did you convert the RAW values? How would I go about finding the detailed numbered information you found?
A bit late, but for those of you who want at-a-glance decimal values from CDI raw data...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Connect new drive, use Macrium Reflect Free to clone new to old, reboot and change boot order in BIOS to boot from new drive.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
:crossarms: https://www.google.com/search?q=Macrium+Reflect+Free (hint: you want the one from Macrium.com)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
1) If nothing else, it's the principal of the thing. A trivial amount of effort/materials would make this conversation never occur.

2) Those end caps actually provided a lot of shock dampening. Pretty much exactly what a mfg would send you for return packaging during an RMA.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Anybody make any sense of this?

WHS2011, and I just replaced 3x 2TB WD Red drives with 3x 3TB Reds. CrystalDiskInfo runs resident, and last night it started emailing failure notices across a variety of several drives.

I've never seen a CDI BAD report due to a zero value in Spin-Up Time nor RSC (CDI is showing raw values in decimal).

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It looks like it's mostly not returning SMART data at all. Eep.
Weirder now..

Drive E: is now "Unknown" while drive G: is "Bad"

I have these in a Stablebit Drivepool and have StableBit Scanner installed. It's been doing a full sector by sector scan, and drive E: completely passed and drive G: is 80% scanned without error.

So, maybe the drives have firmware that's too new? Or something?

Note that drives I: and J: are on a 3TB drive, like these new 3TB Reds, but it has the same firmware as my older 2TB Reds, 80.00A80, rather than what the new 3TB Reds have, 82.8200A82.

Edit: WTF? I was just going back to CDI to check the firmware version when I watched the G: drive return to "Good" status!

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yeah, no problems. Just odd behavior. StableBit Scanner reports the same SMART status but doesn't bark about the drives.

Must be some funky combo of these new drives, CDI, maybe my Z77 storage controller...

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Chuu posted:

Looking for a used laptop. Is a HD 6470M discreet card enough of a selling point over HD3000 graphics that it's worth paying ~$30 extra for?

Do you mean with an Intel CPU/chipset but with an AMD GPU tacked on or with an AMD CPU/chipset and said 6470M?

If the latter, almost definitely not.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Surely. Here is the first reading I did about bap caps when my Viewsonic went that way (at the 3.25y mark):

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpost.php?p=66299&postcount=17

You probably should just buy a new one, but if you've got a soldering iron it's about $3-5 bucks worth of new caps and shipping... Makes for a neat Saturday project.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Symantec makes a removal tool. Google "Norton removal tool."

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Oh, we all know Norton sucks, but it's not a determiner:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/microsoft-security-essentials-removal-tool/
http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331
http://support.eset.com/kb2289/

Everyone's got one.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
A desire to call other people on supposed "mistakes."

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ah, cool then. (Not a pun.)

So now you now. Sir U provided the reason for that particular -K, and I'm sure you can see how some people, with locked or unlocked, processors would spend the $30 on a tower cooler for the reduced sound.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I ran a chkdsk and it came out clean, but I don’t trust that.
Two different things.

One describes the physical health of the hard drive, the other the logical "health" of the file system on a drive.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Patent. Molex had it first in the late 50s, then MATE-N-LOK made a similar connector.

Anyone referring to any nylon connector other than the four pin old-school/IDE power connector as Molex, however, would be dumb.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

teagone posted:

Based on that reallocated sector value, should I be worried? The drive is still under warranty for a few more months.
Failed hard drive is failed. There is no such thing as a, “Meh, no biggie” value that can trip SMART. One tick above threshold means a bunch of sectors were already reallocated, and now you’re left with the impossible process of it wanting to reallocate more.

I know you’ve got a solid head on your shoulders from your various posts, but I have to laugh.

“My check engine light came on out of the blue. Should I be worried about checking my engine?”

“Nah, that’s just there to tell you that you need to clean out your cigarette lighter plug.”

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

FCKGW posted:

CDI info in unnecessarily confusing to understand and I don’t fault anyone for not knowing how to read it.
I agree, which is why:

1) It color-codes its info and summarizes with yellow "Caution" or red "Bad."

Now, these could be considered subjective by the pedant, so...

2) Google can help

Or, see also:

3) "We kinda all agreed on this"

Not trying to be a jerk but trying to say that while asking for verification is what these kinds of forums are for, I don't find the results of CrystalDiskInfo hard to follow.

Your statement is better paraphrased as, "SMART info is confusing, and therefore so is this info as presented in CDI, but, hey, luckily CDI gives you an edge that reading bare text SMART reports don't."

My point is, poo poo that says Caution is rationally to be taken as cause for worry, and therefore teagone's take is correct.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Interpretation, not agreement.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yup. 12v, ground, tach read out to board, and the 4th of PWM to pulse(control) the fan.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
This is for curiosity’s sake at this point, right? Having opened it and all.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Those’ll do GPU stress tests?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No, right, I know those, but I was referring to ufarn’s GPU bench question that lllllllllllllllllll had replied to as “Use 7zip.”

I am not aware it could do that. Thought it was just CPU.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
CrystalDiskInfo to check S.M.A.R.T. status.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
There's something I've always wondered and could never quite wrap my head around enough to pull it off.

Say you've got a Lenovo Server 2008R2 box with two 1TB hard drives in a Windows mirror (GPT, dynamic). Say the drive that's got the hidden 256MB EFI partition on it starts to fail...

The picture below shows the server with the example, but with the secondary, healthy drive removed (and a tape drive attached). The server has already been replaced, which is why it's in this current state.

How do you replace the primary drive (with its EFI partition) in a Windows mirrored pair? Short of trying out a $275 Macrium Server license, which claims to handle dynamic disks, what is the standard way to handle this situation?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 13, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Collusion!!!

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Captain Muffin posted:

Help me use up the Christmas end of year R&D budget quick!
From last page, but.. I don't think you'll have a problem using up your budget, since we don't see you mentioning storage yet...

C-Euro posted:

E: My MIL wiped the contacts down with rubbing alcohol and now it's fine? :shrug:
OSI model step one! :)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
How successful of a track record does anyone have with cloning a sole 2.5" SATA SSD to m.2 NVMe and maintain boot function, using Reflect or other?

I've not tried and wonder if there's a roadblock, bootloader problem, etc.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

fishmech posted:

That reminds me, if you're trying to migrate a Windows 7 install it may not have proper NVMe drivers or support installed..
Maybe that's what threw me. I've done hundreds of Macrium clones, but my Win8.1 on Haswell on a 860 EVO wouldn't boot after I cloned to NVMe (even tried MR's boot problems fixer).

It was far better to me to flatten and reinstall fresh, to Win10, since it was just Steam, basically. Didn't want to bother figuring it out.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Atomizer posted:

They still do this now!!! There was an HP 1050 Ti laptop sold through Wal-mart on clearance for $500 (and actually I think it's on Newegg right now for $600) with a (5400 rpm) 1 TB HDD in TYOOL 2019!!!
Fixed for clarity

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Odd work project question: My coworker got his hands on a SuperMicro SYS-E100-9AP barebone PC, with the intention of playing with as a pfSense box, etc.

However, we're now trying to get Windows 10 installed to see how far QuickSync on its Atom can be pushed by Blue Iris.

We seem to be stupid, though, as we cannot source a storage driver to feed the Windows 10 installation process. Extracting all the archives on SM's product support site doesn't help, nor does Googling "Apollo Lake storage driver."

Can someone guide me/us? I'd PayPal, say, $20 if it can be made to run Windows.

(Mods, if that's a no-no, and I should take it to SA-Mart, just say so. :))

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Actuarial Fables posted:

When you say "Extracting all the archives", does that include the CD w/ all the drivers for the motherboard?
https://www.supermicro.com/wftp/CDR_Images/CDR-A1-A2-UP/ (warning: large)

You also haven't accidentally disabled the storage controller within the BIOS, right?
I originally just looked at the few driver options, not the whole CD. Thank you for that.

stevewm posted:

https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/Apollo_Lake.cfm seems to imply it will only work if the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode, which makes sense as Windows 10 natively supports AHCI. Go into the BIOS and make sure this is the case.

Looking in BIOS, the SATA Configuration menu options are Chipset SATA Enable/disable (it's Enabled)

I can't find any settings for setting SATA/IDE/RAID, etc.

I'm trying to install to either an NVMe SSD or an M.2 SATA drive. Both attempts produce the same results.

The BIOS does have PCI Express options, with M.2 B Key PCIE GEN2 X1 as well as Mini PCIe, but both just have sub-entries of ASPM Auto and PCIe Speed, etc.

Both the m.2 and NVMe drives show up in BIOS just fine. Edit: We've just now opened it up to get at its SATA port, and hanging an 860 EVO off there (powered by an external PSU) allows the Windows installer to install to the SATA SSD just fine.

We've now tried Windows 10 in non-UEFI mode, tried installing from a DVD in a USB 2 and then 3-connected external DVD drive.

What am I missing?

(My comedy option here is to image the SATA SSD to either the m.2 or NVMe in order to close this thing back up.)

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 27, 2019

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Hipster_Doofus posted:

From the manual:

This doesn't match what you're seeing?
Yup, got that manual. Available BIOS settings don't line up.

I'll triple scour through BIOS again in the AM

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Actuarial Fables posted:

When you say "Extracting all the archives", does that include the CD w/ all the drivers for the motherboard?
https://www.supermicro.com/wftp/CDR_Images/CDR-A1-A2-UP/ (warning: large)
Funny thing.. I got Win10 installed on a SATA SSD, but when I run autorun.exe, setup_32.exe, or setup_64.exe, but it won't run. (Extracted CD ISO contents to folder on desktop.)

I get the UAC prompt, some process tries to start, and the only result is that another File Explorer window opens to C: root.

Now, for the life of me I can't get the SATA m2 nor NVMe m.2 to show up in BIOS. There appears no setting to disable those, only to set their speed from Auto to Gen2 and so on. Only the SATA controller has an option to disable.

Edit: Heh, tried the CD on a Windows 7 box.. same result.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Actuarial Fables posted:

Don't extract the files, just mount the ISO. The executable is probably designed for a particular file structure and won't work properly out of its element. Hopefully after running the program and getting the drivers installed you'll at least be able to see the m.2 drive.
Alas, even after burning a DVD (it's 1.3 GB), the same behavior occurs. Just a new File Explorer window showing C: root.

But, I think I may have found out why I can only get this to work via SATA. The board is an A2SAN-E, which is in the second column of the OS compatibility chart: https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/Apollo_Lake.cfm

Note the second column doesn't have the C1 footnote, a very important one:

A2 - i-SATA/SATA
C1 - NVMe

That being the case, I'm still confused as to why I cannot even use the m.2 SATA slot, it not being NVMe...

Edit: Unless I'm misinterpreting this (JMP1):

JMD1: M.2 Slot (B-KEY) (supports PCIe Gen2 x 1 / SATA / USB 2.0)
JMP1: Mini PCI-E Slot (supports PCIe Gen2 x 1 / USB 2.0)

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 2, 2019