Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just got a NZXT H440, and it came with a PWM fan hub. I didn't want my CPU fan and the chassis fan to use the same curve, so I plugged the CPU fan to the normal CPU fan connector on my ASROCK Extrme 4 Z370, and the PWM connector to a Chassis fan connector. The fans are running fine in the case, but I can't change the curve for them thru the bios. Am I doing something wrong here, or is that not possible without a seperate fan controller? I can change the CPU fan curve fine, it just has the chassis fan options grayed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

Have you tried plugging in a fan directly to the header on the mobo (bypassing the hub) and seeing if the options become available?

That works for the fan I tried it on (the fans themselves are 3-pin but seem to be able to be changed in the BIOS fine). I have 4 fans in the case; is there any reason I shouldn't hook two to the 2 available "chassis" 4-pins on the board, and the other two to the "CPU optional" and "Chassis Optional" 4-pins? The manual talks about the 2 labeled as CHA_FAN1/2 being able to detect if the connector is 3-pin so I wasn't sure if that'd cause any issues.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm having issues with a few things right now. First, a USB not recognized error has started popping up over and over again. I unplugged the front USB ports and it didn't stop, and it pops up even if no USB ports are in use. I thought a BIOS update might help, but after updating the error still happens and now the UEFI setup is ridiculously laggy using a mouse, and if I use a keyboard whatever key I press acts like it's being pressed over and over again. The time from the BIOS start to windows login seems very slow now compared to a week ago (>1 minute on a SSD). I tried reinstalling Windows 10 and the issue is still happening. Is my mobo dying or what? Inside of Windows everything seems to run fine besides the constant USB error. Device manager keeps refreshing when the error pops up, and a hidden unknown USB device keeps appearing even if I uninstall that device. I have a Asrock Z370 Extreme4, 8700k, and 1080. Resetting the BIOS settings does nothing to fix anything either. I figured I'd ask before trying to RMA anything.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alright, I'll try disabling or re-installing the USB controllers and see if that fixes the issue. I'll go ahead and re-seat everything too, and reset the CMOS battery while I have everything apart to see if that fixes the slowdown in the UEFI settings issue.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It didn't fix the issue. The BIOS settings menus seemed responsive for a bit, but then started slowing down again. I was able to disable the USB controllers, which seemed to fix the issue, but re-installing the drivers made it appear again. I don't have any M.2 things connected, and the issue appears w/ a different keyboard & mouse as well. Finally, now the computer will get to the boot menu and ask to select a drive, then either restart or get hung up on a black screen with a _ cursor that I assume should be blinking, but is frozen. The SSD works fine when connected to another computer and boots fine so I'm assuming my mobo is a dud?

Mr E fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 16, 2018