Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Recommend me a good card reader.
Something that can do everything and will last for a while.

There's so many weird brands on Amazon I don't even know what I'm looking at.

I have a lexar that's worked pretty well for CF so I'm tempted to just get this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Multi-Card-25-USB-Reader/dp/B008VQ2YUY/ref=sr_1_33

But this also looks legit: https://www.amazon.com/Reader-GIKERSY-Memory-Adapter-Simultaneously/dp/B07L73GK7D/ref=sr_1_26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shaocaholica posted:

What cards do you need to read? Most people are fine with CF and SD only. You can adapt micro SD to SD with a dummy adapter that usually comes with the micro cards anyway.

Just a full sized SD and CF slot is fine. Mini/micro slot is just a perk in case I don't have an adapter handy.
It needs to be able to handle SDHC/XC/UC and CF cards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geemer posted:

I got a UGreen USB3 one. It can do all flavors of cards I've got around the house just fine, but I only really actually use it for micro SD cards.

Can you even really go wrong nowadays? Aren't they basically all interchangeable outside of design as long as you don't need the most bleeding edge speeds or scrape from the bottom of the barrel?

I guess I'm more worried about compatibility/longevity than anything else. I've got a Sandisk Mobilemate SD+ that just REFUSES to read cards on Windows 10 of any type/size.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pablo Bluth posted:

About three years ago Lexar was shut down then a Chinese company came in and bought all the IP. Fortunately this doesn't seem to be the 'slap the premium Lexar branding on cheap poo poo' people thought might happen. They've even just announced a new card reader that's too new for reviews.
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/lexar-announces-new-professional-multi-card-3-in-1-reader-34711

A bunch of the Lexar people ended up forming Prograde Digital who are focusing on the high end. So their card reader options aren't the cheapest...
Amazon: CF+SD version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI_uMdvGvHY

This is a fantastic response. Thank you.

Cyril Sneer posted:

What exactly is the difference between a media server, NAS, and external hard drive?

Functionally, I'm looking for ~2 TB of network-accessible storage and I just want it to show up as a drive letter. Don't need any fancy wrapper/interfacing software so probably not a media server? I'll be using it mainly for archival purposes.

A media server is just that; IT serves media, usually audio or video.
It can be a NAS, but it can also just be a desktop with a network share.
It doesn't even have to actually host the data. You can use media server software like Plex to point to shares on the internet.
I like to think of media servers as ways to access data rather than data-hosts.

NAS is short for Network Attached Storage. It is a networked server that hosts file-level storage (as opposed to object, or block-level storage).
This is what you want if you just want an NFS or SMB share to map a network drive to.
If you want to build your own then you can look into FreeNAS or unRAID software that you can install on an old computer and load up with drives.

An external hard drive is just that. It is not network-attached. You need to plug it directly into a computer to access the files. That computer could then share the drive out over the network to other devices.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557
Join us!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm slowly in the process of converting my desktop into a something I can do all my work from, and having just acquired a headset so I can take work-calls from it, now I'm thinking about a camera for Zoom meetings and whatnot.

What should I be looking for, for something that's going to be better than your average grainy laptop webcam?

Good luck finding anything at this point.
CDWG has our webcams backordered for at least another month.

I like my Logitech C920 HD Pro. The mic is decent on it too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChiralCondensate posted:

Last I checked the goonsensus was one of the little Brother HL series.

Yes.

I snagged this for $100 on an amazon lightning deal for my in-laws
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764NWFP8

It's been amazing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DildenAnders posted:

I got a refurb Dell laptop about a year ago, and it's been working fine for me for a while. This morning, however the C drive wasn't recognized. So I opened it up to find a little mSATA chip connected to a SATA adapter, which I've never seen before and don't have any experience working with. After reseating it to no avail, I plugged it into my HDD dock, where it wasn't recognized at all, which really sucks because this is Finals weeks and I was about 90% of the way through a term paper.
Has anyone else has this happen to them before? And is the adapter a common/possible point of breakage? Thanks for any and all help, there couldn't have been a worse possible time for this to happen.

I suppose it's very possible that the adapter failed, yes.
You can get MSATA to USB adapters on amazon or just buy a new MSATA to SATA adapter and hope for the best.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry for the double-post, but I have a question of my own:

in general, what's the minimum size of monitor that would support 1080p natively?

alternatively, what's the minimum size of monitor that would use an HDMI or DisplayPort?

I mean cell phones can do way higher resolution than 1080 so I don't think what your asking for is what you want?
I've got some video equipment with 3" monitors built in that have HDMI and SDI connections.
SmallHD is a field camera monitor that's actually quite large at 5" https://smallhd.com/products/502-sdi-on-camera-field-monitor
And Blackmagic has a bunch of offerings including a 5" and 7"
There are Dashcams with built in monitors that are waaaaay tinier than that but I don't know if those screens are available separately.

There's also those tiny 3.5" touchscreens for Raspberry Pi that do 1280 over hdmi.
https://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Screen-Monitor-Display-Raspberry/dp/B01N447AEY

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 10, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

joepinetree posted:

Any suggestions for low noise 120mm case fans? Mine even with anti-vibration silicone gasket are making a lot of noise, and probably because of bad bearings or something.

Noctua makes great fans that are practically silent. There are other options that move more air but they're louder.
I'm happy with my array of NZXT fans.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

hey, anyone have a recommendation for a good USB DVD-drive? I'd like one with a burner. Blu-ray too I suppose, but i mostly still have DVD and CD ROMs

pretty much anything Lenovo or LG branded has done right by me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Weka posted:

Thank you both!

If you don't want to use an external power supply then get something newer that has just the single USB port. For some reason early ones without external power REALLY sucked even when using the additional usb power adapter.
You'll probably be fine if whatever you get has USB 3.0 support.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Touchdown Boy posted:

Ive been using a Dell USB 104-Key Mechanical Multimedia Keyboard w/Volume Knob SK-8135 (https://imgur.com/vuMFlH7) for years now, it was the standard one that came with a PC I got about 8 years ago so I am thinking Im about due an upgrade. I was looking around and it seems like the volume feature is either seperate these days or some sort of scroll bar I dont like the look of.

I dont want to spend a fortune on some fancy gamer keyboard with lights and all that stuff and was wondering if Goons can suggest me something affordable and of a similar/same design? Im in the UK.

Ive seen you can get media control knob on a seperate usb line but not sure I want that either.

For what it's worth, I have a collection of various Dell media control keyboards (and at least one of that same one you posted) because they're actually really good.
I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you have an itch to get into mechanical keyboards...
If that's the case then I say please come join us in the Mechanical Keyboards thread so I can recommend you an "affordable" replacement with a rotary encoder like the Satisfaction75.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Re: powerline vs wifi
Have y'all never heard of MOCA adapters?

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200S02/dp/B013J7O3X0/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shibawanko posted:

related question: im currently using a powerline to pass a tv signal on through another part of the house, which kind of sucks and results in lag in the tv sometimes, but theres no other way to do it (my house doesnt have coaxial cables, the internet and tv come through fibreglass). im using an older powerline, is it possible that the problem can be resolved by just buying a newer powerline set or is it likely to be something inherent to the electrical wiring in my house that will always bottleneck it somehow?

I don't know. I'm firmly in the "gently caress powerline" camp to the point that I'll rip out all my drywall just to run a Cat6.
I also used to do professional structured cable installs so I'm totally comfortable with doing that though, and totally wouldn't have to rip out all my drywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fame Douglas posted:

Powerline is incredibly inconsistent, this is the expected experience using this horrible technology.

Also known as "why does my internet go out every time I turn my lights on?"