Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sing this Corrosion
Dec 27, 2007

THINK OF THEM AS LITTLE HORSES
I have an issue where my computer sometimes reports "no operating system found" and therefore won't boot. When I unplug my secondary drives, it boots fine, and will then continue to work fine when it's restarted with them plugged back in.

My computer has four drives, including an SSD with windows on it.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? It doesn't happen very often but it's a hassle when it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing this Corrosion
Dec 27, 2007

cisco privilege posted:

Maybe check BIOS to make sure your boot drive is set to the SSD and not something else. Also make sure you don't have the SSD plugged into any Marvell/etc SATA ports on your motherboard instead of the Intel ports.

When you installed Windows did you make sure to unplug the other drives? It's possible that the Bootmgr got installed to another drive. Not sure if they fixed this in Windows 8 but it was an issue with 7. Kind of a pain in the rear end issue to fix if that's the case.

I checked the boot order and the SSD is first - I take it that's the same as setting the boot drive?
As for the SATA ports there doesn't seem to be any distinction on my motherboard, it's just plugged into whatever SATA 0 is.

Crystaldisk says that my boot disk is fine, but one showed up with a warning:

is that something I should be concerned about?

Sing this Corrosion
Dec 27, 2007

Well that wasn't what I was expecting but thanks for the heads-up!
I'm cloning it onto a spare drive now. Lucky I had an old external drive to replace it with.