Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Just to make sure I don't fry anything, but if my wireless adapter says to plug it into a PCI Express x1 slot, but it's compatible with x16, it means it's perfectly fine to plug it into the x16 slot on my Z97? At first, the wildly different sizes threw me off, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that would cause a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Alereon posted:

What motherboard do you have and what slot are you wanting to connect it to? You can use the lower x16 (x4 electrical) slot just fine, but using either of the upper X16 (x8 electrical) slots will cut bandwidth to the videocard in half. The upper slots share 16 lanes from the CPU, so installing the second device cuts both slots to x8 each, and the lower slots have lanes from the chipset.

It would be one of the lower two, listed as 16_2 or 16_3, the 16_1 slot has my video card already plugged in and takes up two spaces.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Alereon posted:

You didn't say what motherboard you have, but I'm going to assume 16_3 is the x4 slot so you can use that one. Using 16_2 would cut the videocard in 16_1 down to x8. That's not a BIG deal, people do it when setting up SLI normally, but why eat the performance loss if you don't have to?

I should have been more specific, it's an Asus Z97, so it has 3 x16 slots and one x1 slot. It goes x16, x1, x16, x16 from top to bottom. So either of the lower two slots would be fine it seems.

Thanks for the help!