Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mortimer posted:

Uhh I think this question might go here.

I have a 970 with both DVI output ports going to two monitors, but I have a TV on the other side of the wall that I want to connect my PC to via HDMI. My apartment has a small hole in the wall meant to feed wires through but it seems too easy to just connect HDMI from the PC to the TV, I think that would make the video card try to display on all 3 at once which isn't what I want. Is there a way to get a splitter or a connector (something that won't impact performance) to be able to just press it, walk to the other room, and have it display there?

Sorry if this is hard to follow, english is my first language I'm just bad at it

You should be able to plug it in, but not swap input on the TV, that would have the same functional effect you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Diver Dick posted:

I looked around and didn't see a better place to ask this question:

What's the best option for securely storing and backing up photos and documents for a home network (two laptops, a few tablets and that's about it). Is there a hardware option that could do this wirelessly, or am I better off paying for a monthly online backup service?

It's all extremely mundane poo poo like family photos and tax records...

E: In short I want to know if network attached storage or online backup is favored these days. Thanks!

Backup solutions are fairly cheap, probably go with whatever provider is recommended in the thread Alereon linked, on-top of using a cloud backup, I'd grab an external harddrive (or 2) and plop the data on those. If you REALLY REALLY care and don't want to risk losing the physical hard drives, take them out of your house and put them somewhere else that you feel is safe. Flash memory is not a good thing for a long-term backup, so avoid using USB sticks for this, just stick to platter drives, they will last a long time especially if you don't have it plugged in all the time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a good policy to leave at least 10% unpartitioned as a safety so that the drive can move files around to do wear leveling. 20% is on the aggressive side, especially for a drive that isn't seeing a lot of writes like a Steam disk.

I thought that it was just leave 10-20% of the drive formatted and empty... not unformatted, I could be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure you want to format it otherwise those sectors won't get put into the TRIM rotation?