Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
My computer is hosed up and I don't have time to try and fix it/post a long thread in Haus of Tech Support but I wanted to see if I'm on the right track--

I just put together this build, plus an HD 4870 GPU from 2007. It worked great for a couple of weeks, then abruptly shut off out of nowhere. When I tried to turn it on for the next hour or two, the lights on the case and GPU and the case fans would come on, but the CPU fan and the GPU fan would not. I made sure the cables/jumpers/cards were plugged in so I don't think it's that. A couple hours later the computer started normally.

I'm eyeing the GPU, since it's ancient and has been pretty loud lately, but I'm wondering if it's possible for a GPU to cause the CPU fan to not spin? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Is this normal behavior for a CPU fan on startup? (the stop/start)

I just replaced the motherboard because the CPU fan wasn't spinning up at all half the time, so I'm not sure if it's fixed or if this is a sign that I'm going to keep having problems.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yep, the more modern Intel mobo/processors have done this for awhile.

Thanks! That's a weight off my mind.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I have a power supply question--I have a fairly barebones desktop rig with a DVD-R drive, SSD, HDD, and a wireless card. It's running off a 550W PSU right now.

If I want to put a GTX 970 or 980 in there, should I be worried about upgrading the power supply, or am I safe?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

SlayVus posted:

What processor does your computer have? Are you running any overclock?

i5-4590, no overclock!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I just installed a 4790k on a new motherboard.

I don't know why there are 7 temperatures, or why 3 of them are over 100C. Am I about to burn my house down, or is this normal?

Edit: I'm a loving idiot, those are from the motherboard, not the CPU

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Motherboards often have a bunch of temperature probes from a generic monitoring chipset that simply aren't connected, so often read nonsense values.
If they basically don't change at all over time, then you know that's what you're looking at.

Yeah, they're very steady. Glad I'm safe!