Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Looking for an external USB 3.0 HD, 1-2TB. What are the good brands/models? WD, Seagate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a general trend/focus in components to reduce energy use? In newer CPUs and GPUs I'm seeing that they use less energy while delivering more performance. Is this an effect of a concentrated effort to reduce power consumption or is it just a side effect of changing technology?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It seems any game I play I experience temporary FPS drops with corresponding CPU utilization drops. My video card and CPU are sub 55C and I checked my hard drive for errors. I can't seem to figure out what might be causing it. Any ideas? I did realize my power supply is kind of old and should be replaced, so I've ordered a replacement one. Could it be the power supply?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rexxed posted:

Usually with power supply failures the PC will just turn off or sometimes crash. You may want to post in Haus of tech support with full system specs.

Thanks for that suggestion, I forgot about that subforum