Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm having a problem with my Lenovo X220 laptop. I have the IPS screen. The past two days I've started to have glitches where a column in the screen about 2 inches wide from top to bottom will start flashing bits of code, or screwing around with the image on that part of the screen, or just flashing stuff. It's usually that strip but sometimes squares will pop up off-center in the middle of the screen. What's particularly strange is that when it starts flashing I can adjust the angle of the screen and that takes care of the error for a while, but eventually it comes back and I have to adjust the screen angle again. Other than that the computer's running fine.

Any ideas what it might be? I think there's a bad connection but I'm no expert. Also, if I have to take it in for a repair are there any national chains that are better than others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

It's probably the flexible cable that connects between the screen and the main board. I don't know if it's bad or if it's loose in one of the connectors,, but here's a screen replacement guide that kind of shows you where it is and what you have to do to get at it. I don't know the best value for places to replacement (I'd probably do it myself) but if you were my client I'd recommend a lenovo authorized repair place.

Thanks, I'll check find a Lenovo authorized place then

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I had the IPS screen in my Lenovo X220 laptop replaced and it's not the same as before. It used to look fine from almost any angle but now there's a very narrow sweet spot, with the screen directly perpendicular to my eyes. If my eyes are looking down at the screen at all it gets very bright very quickly, as in the black apps bar at the bottom of the screen turns into a fairly bright gray. Also unless I lower the brightness all the way, the screen gets eye-searingly bright right away. If I look up at it at all it gets very dim very quickly. Are their any settings that can fix this? I have a 30 day guarantee so if there's nothing I can do I'll ask for my money back and ship it to Lenovo for the repair. The work was done by a Lenovo certified repair center BTW.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

That sounds exactly like they replaced it with a cheaper TN panel.

I asked about that and they said that they couldn't possibly install anything other than what it came with because it simply wouldn't work with the motherboard. I think they screwed me and I'm going to get my money back. Thanks.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

I did a brief Google and it looks like both IPS and TN options were available, though I didn't look very hard. So yeah I think they are just awful. Sorry!

What really burns me is I told them about a billion times the specific type of IPS screen and they insist they replaced it with the right thing, it's not like they wouldn't know the difference. I'm going to call Lenovo and report them too since they're an authorized repair center. Also I paid with a USAA credit card and federal credit unions don't gently caress around when it comes to fraud.

edit: I'll only do that if they don't make good on the contract, I won't go after them until I've exhausted my options with the repair center

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 27, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

I recently swapped my TN panel out for an IPS on my x250 so I was assume it's possible on the x230. If it's anything like the x250 it's actually a really easy process so maybe get your money back and do it yourself?

That could work, although I've never done anything like that before

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

Or they just ordered the wrong part by mistake. Why don't you try talking to them before hulking out and reporting them to Lenovo and talking about fraud?

I said I would do that right in the post you quoted

edit: I went back to them today and was polite and they said they'd make good on the contract, so I think it was an honest mistake. The sales lady didn't know the difference between TN and IPS panels so there may have been a miscommunication between her and the techie.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 29, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

If I want to talk about buying a used computer and want to talk specs and cpu/gpu generations and compatibility and stuff like that what thread should I be in

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

edit: removed because no longer relevant

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 16, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

edit: ignore

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

If that's your budget it makes more sense to just keep an eye out for things instead of specifically looking for xyz equipment. I would say browse SA mart and ask honest questions in the threads, if someone tries to bullshit you they'll be called out by thousands of angry nerd goon gamers. I would say for 1080p 60fps you need any i5/i7 with 4cores/8threads minimum, and pretty much any GPU that is 6xx Nvidia or newer. You don't have the budget to specifically buy a good PSU, anything from a name brand used should be fine. You'll probably end up with a ~500w PSU. I'm pretty sure you can find something for that price.

thanks, I'm thinking I'll just get a pretty new workstation because I could get something pretty new for at or less than what an old gaming rig will probably be; I'll forget about gaming on it because reliability and quietude are more important to me

that's a different animal, so I'll do some research and post back here if I have questions about that

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I received my refurbed dell optiplex and it came with a wifi dongle. On it, my download rate is 26 mbps but on my 9 year old notebook my download rate is 98 mbps. The package of the dongle says I should get up to 150 mbps. What gives?

edit: it's a usb 2.0 dongle in a 2.0 port

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Not to state the obvious but it’s connected to the 5ghz network right? Seems like maybe not.

it is

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Geemer posted:

Is it right up next to the computer case? You might get better results if there isn't a huge metal box of interference right up next to it.

it's right next to it, it's a tiny usb dongle, as small as they come, and it doesn't have an antenna sticking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Epsilon Plus posted:

assuming it's 802.11n, 150mbps is the best real-world speed you can get and that's insanely optimistic - that's like, a house in the middle of nowhere, nothing serious or solid between the two devices, nice antennas, nothing else on the spectrum, etc. if the body of your case is inbetween the adapter and your access point, that'll cut your speed. hell, just depending where it is in the house - I remember helping a guy with a smart TV in his basement once that wouldn't connect to wi-fi. as a last-ditch troubleshooting method we moved it to a spot like 6 feet away and it was fine - there was a big cluster of copper and iron pipes in the basement ceiling, probably casting a shadow.

as mentioned above, getting a USB extension cable and just like, taping it to the wall above the case may seriously help.

I moved the usb wifi to one of the front ports on the pc and my speed boosted up to 41 mbps download and 10 mbps upload. Thanks for the advice. I may try doing the extension cable in the future but I don't have one handy right now.