Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

politicorific posted:

Not a dumb question. 1920x1080. That's my monitors native resolution. K242hl.

Again, the driver that shipped with windows was fine, only after installing the latest nvidia drivers does everything look terrible. Chrome more so.

Again, MSI 960. Fresh Windows 8.1 install. Everything looked great until I installed the 347.88 drivers.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I have this problem all the time. It usually boils down to some combination of zoom level, default font, clear type and resolution fuckery. Also check to see if your monitor is displaying it right (mine goes weird if I don't have the HDMI channel labeled as 'PC' for some obscure reason)

Geemer posted:

Do other browsers gently caress up the text as well? Wasn't there some thing going on where Chrome is really bad at rendering text with default options?

Yeah. the Chrome thread was full of people complaining that they hosed up the text according to what version you were using. You say it started after you installed video drivers, but maybe Chrome updated when you restarted your PC and it's just a crazy coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

spasticColon posted:

Okay I have had my current system for almost 4 years and I just now noticed that it makes a strange noise when the SSD (Samsung 830 Pro 250GB) is being accessed which I have had for just over 3 years. It's a really faint buzzing/whining noise. My system works just fine so should I be worried?

Where do you hear the buzzing/whining? Over speakers/headphones? Or without them (like physically coming from your tower)?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm moving to a place where I'm going to have to use Time Warner cable for my internet and want to buy the cable modem/wireless router myself. What make and model what you guys recommend? I'll probably have my computer hooked directly up to it and a handful of wireless devices (phone, iPad, game consoles). Here is what Time Warner says is compatible:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/enjoy/better-twc/internet/internet-modems.html

SB6141 is the standard cable modem of choice across multiple cable providers. I have one in my house (Optimum/Cablevision) and have never had a problem with it.

For routers, the goon reccomended one seems to be this:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Arche...nk+archer+c7+v2

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Is it worth getting a cable modem/wifi router combo?

No.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is there any downside to imaging a failing hard drive? I have a laptop that someone gave to me, and Crystal Disk is showing a Caution sign. Was just going to use Macrium to image the disk to a new one, and throw it back into the laptop.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Gothmog1065 posted:

Any corrupt data on the old drive will transfer to the new drive. If the drive won't boot for whatever reason, imaging it won't magically make it boot. It's always best to back up the data as best as possible and install fresh on the new drive.

It still boots, and it's still usable. Honestly, I wouldn't have even guessed that anything is wrong with the drive (didn't experience any weird behavior or anything) if I didn't open Crystal Disk.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tapedump posted:

Symantec makes a removal tool. Google "Norton removal tool."

You know your product is bad when you have to make a specific removal tool for it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Crunkjuice posted:

I'm crazy out of the loop on computer hardware ( last computer I built had a radeon 9800 agp card), and i'm still rocking an 09 Imac that could play L4D2 on low graphics reliably. My folks want to get me a new computer for xmas and they brought this to my attention. http://www.costco.com/.product.100228010.html?&EMID=B2C_2015_1124_ComputerSolo&wc_mid=2:94067&wc_rid=2:3478924

Will this play recent games well? Star Wars battlefront? I've never once had top of the line graphics so holy poo poo it would be cool just to play recent games.

Graphics card is going to be a problem on that PC, but you can just buy your own and swap it out. Other than that, looks good.

Of course if gaming on a PC is what you want to do then you should almost always build your own, but you said your parents want to buy it for you and unlike most goons I understand the realities of your situation.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

DeaconBlues posted:

An older Toshiba Satellite C55 series. I couldn't find a manual with sufficiently detailed information but after googling and Wiki'ing I reckon the screws I circled in the pic are probably M3, which means I need to buy some M2 ones. I'll try that. Cheers.

Screws can also have different thread counts, so just be careful and don't strip anything.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anyone notice anything weird here? I haven't noticed any weird behavior, but the disk is 3 1/2 years old at this point and has been used a lot (Gaming PC/Media Server). To be honest I don't really know how to interpret all those numbers, and even though CrystalDisk says the disk is "good" I've seen posts here where CrystalDisk says the disk is good and people point out numbers that look troubling.

Thanks! :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

future ghost posted:

You may want to replace or at least reseat the data cable, but other than that nothing really looks abnormal for a Seagate drive.

What value would tell you that? Not trying to be snarky, serious question :)

Gromit posted:

Yeah, the raw value of reallocated sector count of zero is what you want to see, so that's fine. My two Seagate disks (3TB and 4TB) show very similar values to yours.

Nice, thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Geemer posted:

The power grids in most wealthy European countries are very stable and the only thing surge protectors are really good for over here is hopefully stopping a lightning strike from frying your equipment.

Hardly anybody has surge protectors or UPSes in their house around here and if they do, they're cheap-o ones that at best don't cause any extra damage when something happens.
I've got a decent surge protector from when a laboratory at a previous employer was being dismantled, but I'm a pretty huge minority in that.

It's the same here in the US. When people buy them, they're really thinking about lightning strikes or transformers blowing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Glare Seethe posted:

I think this is the right thread to ask. My second monitor is not displaying anything. I tested the cable and the DVI port on my graphics card and they are fine, and the computer actually does recognize it (I can see it in the NVIDIA control panel). When I move my cursor to the edge of my main monitor it disappears into the second as if everything's working fine, except it remains totally black. The monitor's menu doesn't show up either if I try that.

Is it fair to say it's some kind of internal electrical failure - blown capacitor maybe? Anything else I can try on my own before I consider getting it repaired? Though it's ten years old so I might not bother since it's not often in use anyway.

Take a flashlight and shine it onto the screen. As the person above me said, the back light could have finally gave out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does HDMI do 4k and Freesync? I got a 4k Freesync monitor, but the Displayport cable didn't come yet lol.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What's the preferred tool for testing a HDD I got off Amazon? It's a regular spinny drive.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

fishmech posted:

Not sure what you really want to test, but forcing a chkdsk /r /x should put it through an hours and hours long physical sector check that will perfom a good job of determining if there's major media issues as well as make sure the drive stands up to being active for a long time at once and thus probably doesn't have serious motor/spindle issues.

Basically, I just want to see if the drive is a dud and I need to return/RMA it, or if it's good. It's a new drive, but I've seen people mention running tools to check new drives before. Just aren't sure which ones they're using.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tapedump posted:

CrystalDiskInfo to check S.M.A.R.T. status.

I want to actually stress the disk though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FCKGW posted:

Every manufacturer offers a drive testing tool. Just download that and run it.

WD - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3
Seagate - https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

They can do a long or short test. Long test will read SMART and test every sector on the disk.
You don't need to "stress" a drive to test it.

Cool! I imagine these tools work no matter what brand the drive is?

E: looks like the Seagate one does so I'll check that one out tomorrow. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 6, 2018

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is there some sort of official tool or something to check if I accidentally killed a RAM slot on a motherboard?

Because uhhh I think I did, somehow. Nothing I stick in one of the slots is recognized, and using both slots (it’s a lovely little B350 board with only two slots and supports up to 32GB RAM) results in a POST error.

Using only the “good” slot is fine, but of course no dual channel support then. I’m planning on reusing this board as an Unraid box, so I don’t think losing dual channel is a huge deal but I figured I’d ask.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I believe I'm having an issue with static electricity in my home office.

I live in the Northeast US, and I have a home office on the second story of my house. The home office is a typical bedroom with carpet - I have one of those plastic chair mats and an office chair. My monitor is a Gigabyte M32QC with built in KVM - I use this KVM to switch between my home desktop and work laptop.

The last ~two weeks or so, sometimes when I roll my chair forward my monitor will cut out - almost like it's resetting the KVM. It comes back after a few seconds, so I'm guessing it's static electricity or something like that from the cold Northeast winter.

Any tips on how to prevent this? I've narrowed it down to when I roll the chair forward/backward.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LRADIKAL posted:

It may be the piston on the chair interfering. You can try different or shorter cables. It won't hurt anything though.

Yeah, it's just annoying. Also, I'm aware of the EMI spikes when sitting on chairs (we actually went through that at my last job with Displaylink Docks!) but this seems different. I can bounce up and down on the chair all I want - it's specifically when I scoot the chair forward and backwards.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

down1nit posted:

Are you touching anything else? Are you pushing off of anything?

I don't think so. The chair is on one of those plastic mats, and so are my shoes when I push.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

VelociBacon posted:

This is the piston creating EMI, as you get up a little to roll your chair forward it's unloading the piston. This is common. You should replace your cables to the monitors (one at a time if you aren't sure) with fiberoptic cables (HDMI or do or whatever).

I had this problem and switched to fiberoptic cables and it completely fixed it for me.

I can bounce up and down on my chair all day long without the monitor going out - it does not seem like it's a piston/gas EMI issue. I'll look into fiberoptic cables though, thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Any recommendations on a good thunderbolt dock that can handle dual monitors, and has around 80w power delivery? Budget is $100, but can probably go up to $150 if needed.

Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Thanks for the recommendations! The dock is actually for my brother, who will be using it mostly to just browse the web and some gaming (think games like Civ6). I’m actually not sure if that requires thunderbolt speeds or not? He’ll be using it with two dual 1080p screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
That is exactly what I had to do to use my XM4s on my PC while gaming. Never cuts out, and sounds great. There is a bit of a delay because of Bluetooth, but it does not bother me.

For a mic, I have a wireless modmic I attach to the side of it when I want.