Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
With GeForce Experience, is it always a good idea to let it keep my drivers as up to date as possible, or is there a constant risk of regressing performance or bricking yourself? This stuff used to be a pain over a decade ago, not sure if it's flawless in 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What are the more reputable gaming pre-built PC vendors out there in 2020? I'm looking for an upgrade since my 2017 HP Omen, which has worked pretty well for me actually, but could use a refresher when the GTX 3080 comes out and stops being sold out. Is there one that stands out above the rest? I'm not really interested in extreme customization or a cool case, I just want the latest 2020 internals for gaming. iBuyPower? Alienware? HP? CyberPowerPC? Acer? Corsair? Tons of options out there.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Just wondering, why not just buy the gpu upgrade?

It is a good question. I honestly assumed that the motherboard specs and power supply might no longer be sufficient to keep the GTX 3080 happy, but I could be off. It's an HP OMEN 870 model that's not for sale anymore, but I managed to dig up the specs:

quote:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Quad Core (4.2-4.5GHz TurboBoost, 8MB Cache)
Cooling: HP ENVY Liquid Cooling Solution (95W)
RAM: 64GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM (2 Dimm)
Graphics: 8GB GDDR5X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Total Storage: 3,512GB (512GB SSD + 3TB 7200RPM HDD)
Primary: 512GB SATA III Performance SSD
Secondary: 3TB 7200RPM SATA III Storage Hard Drive
Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) and Bluetooth 4.0 M.2 combo
Ports: Top: 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, Rear: 2 USB 3.0; 4 USB 2.0, 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 7-in-1 Media Card Reader, Audio Input
Power: 600 Watt Bronze Efficiency Power Supply

No clue if that'd work? There's also no information about the exact motherboard model

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I'm in the "I just don't have the time, nor the desire anymore" category. Back in the day I'd happily sit there and put together a desktop from the ground up, obsessing over every component, then spend hours seeing how much I can overclock things while still staying stable, but it's just not a great use of time anymore. So I'm instead in the camp of letting a vendor make decent choices for me, but it seems like I'm likely to get ripped off in some way regardless on the less visible components such as the power supply, the RAM, etc. Even on the PowerSpec line that you recommended, there are some brutal reviews from people claiming that they were using crappy low-grade components.

I'm just not sure how to both save time and get an actual quality product in the end here :/ I'm OK with spending a few hundred extra in exchange for saving myself some time, that's not the biggest issue for me.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 8, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Some Goon posted:

The pc parts thread is happy to pick components for you given a budget and resolution, and a local computer shop, assuming you have one, will be happy to put it together for you for probably less than hp/dell/etc charges above cost; once you've done it a few times its actually pretty quick. Or like, the nerdy neighbor kid.

But your current build is fine overall. Once we have hard numbers on power draw it'll be easy to see if it's a drop-in kinda deal.

Sounds good. I actually did look up a few people in the area on Thumbtack who are surprisingly affordable. I might be able to work something out with them and see if they can do the manual labor. Just got to make sure I bitlocker every drive in case I have to leave it with them, or just pull out the drive altogether before sending it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What do people use to benchmark their builds in a way that helps them understand if given their hardware, it's performing anywhere close to optimally? Context: I was looking at Linus' video on rating premade PC vendors and he was doing something to benchmark the pc under load and see if the CPU was turboing up correctly, if the GPU was doing its thing, if the cooling was correctly reacting to the higher temperature generation and so forth. Please advise.