Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Any ideas why I could be getting lots of drive errors on my win 8.1 install? Every few days the action centre wants to restart to scan for drive errors.

Samsung ssd shows 100% fine in crystaldisk info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've had a WD drive fail the diagnostics, but then pass it fine after doing a zero pass wipe on the drive before sending it back

WD still honoured the RMA though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can do both with crash plan, no need to drop the online stuff too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Can anyone recommend a good USB Bluetooth adapter? I have this guy but it's pretty awful. Constant difficulty pairing my DualShock 4 to my Windows 8.1 64-bit PC with it and when I do get that to work, I'm plagued by persistent input lag. I do live in a dense building/area but I don't have any walls between the devices and PC or any other Bluetooth enabled devices in the same room. Thanks!

I'd say it's probably not the adapter and more the somewhat hacky ds4 drivers/support

I've got a different adapter that works perfectly with everything but the ds4

I just gave up and got a decent length micro usb cable

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'll check when I get home.

However, I'm still curious as to why Windows tells me I only 468 GB available on a 1.82 TB drive when I can only see about 500 GB being used via selecting all the files and folders, including the hidden ones, and selecting properties from the right click menu.

Have you also selected 'show protected system files' or whatever the option is exactly? My guess is an old recycle bin or something

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dervyn posted:

I upgraded to windows 10 a month ago and on an irregular basis it keeps stating it found error(s) with my old hd and should back it up. On the other hand, Crystal Disk Info says it's in good health. Which one should I trust more?

I had the same thing and it was a ram issue. It would happen occasionally on 8.1 but really went wild on 10.

If you run out of ideas run memtest, or (as fixed it for me) try reseating your ram.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks like a thingy to me, definitely gubbins

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Alereon posted:

Water cooling will always be louder than air cooling because you still need fans to move air through the radiator, and now you have an additional pump, which is often louder than the fans. Basically the pumped water is taking the place of the normally silent heat pipes in a tower heatsink. I went with a top-end water cooling system (NZXT Kraken X61) on my most recent machine and I would have been better off with a standard tower heatsink. Water cooling can make sense for videocards since you can't fit a large tower heatsink, and you can exhaust a large amount of heat from the system rather than having it build up inside the case.

Yeah as far as watercooling for silence goes its the graphics card that makes the difference

My setup is completely silent including the pump, but I could get the same noise level air cooling the cpu . Not sure I entirely agree about pumps being loud, it depends on how you run them

But the blower on a graphics card is louder than all of it combined under load, as I found for the half an hour testing a new card before fitting a waterblock to it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

fishmech posted:

For what it's worth, I found the nice big trackpad on the Logitech K400r wireless keyboard to be very nice for use with an HTPC or similar device:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-K400R-Keyboard-Transceiver/dp/B008QS7TRK

Essentially it's fully suitable for doing full real-computer stuff. I think there's a newer version out, but that's the model I've used.

I've got one of these for my htpc and its pretty great. Good range, batteries last for ever, and the extra mouse button on the top left means you can use the track pad on the right with your thumb whilst holding it naturally

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pikey posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good bluetooth dongle for use with a dual shock 4 controller? I just purchased this one from amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I'm getting poor signal strength causing the controller to drop out all the time. I'm only sitting about 10 feet away from the dongle, but my computer is behind me so line of sight is blocked by my couch and body. If I move the controller into line of sight the latency drops down to 1-2 ms so I think its just the interference that's causing it to drop out.

I also have a logitech bluetooth keyboard and mouse which work great in the same position without and dropping out so apparently they have no interference issues. The alternative to using the dual shock 4 is to just buy the logitech wireless gamepad but I'd rather not have to purchase another controller.

Don't bother, just use a cable

The ds4 is just bad over bluetooth on windows, its nothing to do with the adapter. I don't think I've ever read about a success story

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Red 'Pro' are the 7200 ones

Unless you have one of them, its 5400

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just use a couple of coasters

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Hey guys quick question: I noticed that my system will bog down and completely lockup occasionally, and when it does Windows says that the hard drive usage is at 100%. As far as I can tell, it's not failing based on this:

but the almost 43,000 hours it has on it tells me it could go at any second. Is this just a sign that it is on its way out or is it just because it's old and slow?

Every time I've had a drive with crc errors its been a dodgy cable

Might just be loose even but its not like its expensive to just get a new one and see if it sorts it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Any recommendations for connecting a PS3 controller to a Windows 10 PC? I do not want to use Motioninjoy.

E:Wait, getting my drivers mixed up, nm

If you can get hold of a ds4 its a way nicer experience and some games have support built in

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 24, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm fairly sure the rice thing got shown to be no more effective than just air

In phones at least

I normally stick the keyboard on a radiator resting on a towel

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm pretty sure all the tests have shown it does gently caress all regardless of the conditions, it just one of those things that gets thrown around as truth

It's just a waste of rice, sorry :shrug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

QuarkMartial posted:

Wife wants an external drive to back up photos and things to since all we currently have are a part of laptops. What's a good one to buy?

I'd suggest your money might be better spent on a crash plan subscription

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

For the ones I posted... oh. Zeros all the way along. I feel confident that means "none". I never actually looked hard at that field before.

The only one which looks like it could be an issue but is not all zeroes in the raw data is the "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count, which has it's worst at 199 (current is 200) and the raw value of 0000000003F3.

That usually means a dodgy cable

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is there much to choose from between hard drive manufacturers these days?

A drive in my server needs replacing, and ive almost exclusively bought WD hdd for years now, but they seem to have a bit of a price premium over others at the moment

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gotcha, thanks for the write up :)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Went for a toshiba drive as it was the cheapest that wasn't a seagate, it's running a full test before it goes in

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yes, that's why as mentioned there is a specific PC speakers thread there

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Treat yourself to a dualshock 4, they work really well on PC and a lot of games even have support built in

Ds3 on a PC has always been a hack at best

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Q8ee posted:

Is DS4 a simple plug-and-play kind of deal, or is there some janky software I'll need to download for that as well?

Yes and no

A lot of steam stuff works already just plugging in, so do a selection of non steam things like the asscreeds

Anything else and ds4windows is the software you need, it does actually work though and all it really does it tell the computer it's an Xbox controller

If you're feeling super swish, there's an official dongle to connect it wirelessly

Xbox controllers are truly plug and play yes, but if you're not a fan of the controller then it's not much good

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is that formatting within Windows or using the samsung drive utility? A low level wipe might work if its the former

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

super floppy disk posted:

Can someone tell me how to toggle the dang scroll lock on this Realforce keyboard? There's no function key or anything, the layout looks like this:

Should be shift + numlock if it's the same as the one I've used before

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

dirby posted:

I put in a new PSU and now I can't seem to get past the UEFI (when I exit it, it reboots right back into it). Is there an obvious thing or two to try or should I make a Haus of Tech Support thread for this?

It might do that if it can't detect any hard drives or other bootable things.

Are all your drives showing up in the bios?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

dirby posted:

...Are you telling me I have to remember to give my drive power? (Thanks)

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Parallelwoody posted:

Hey so guess who replaced their power supply a couple years ago and didn't know about this. Is there a way to tell which cables are which? I have my PC open right now so and I don't actually remember if I reused any, or mixed and matched, etc. and would like to go ahead and fix it now if there's a simple way to tell or check.

You'd know by now. The bad thing usually begins with a puff of smoke the moment you turn it on afterwards