Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I'm currently building a computer with this parts list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($162.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($245.36 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1182.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 01:51 EST-0500

However before I can get a new graphics card I will be using a really old 6870 for a while. This card is inefficient and draws about 250W at load compared to 150W. Calculated the wattage requirements (90W for CPU + 50W + 250W GPU) x 1.2 = 468W, which is above the 450W limit. Do you think it would be okay for me to go over the maximum load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Hmmm so when I calculated the wattage I used the max wattage instead of the TDP. The TDP is 150w. Which measurement is generally used to calculate whether a PSU is sufficient?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
So my N200 came in and I was disappointed with the build quality- the case seems very light and flexes a lot when I press down. I don't feel confident in it and am afriad that it can be easily dented. Is the Silverstone TJ-08E a good replacement? I can pick up one of those at Fry's.

EDIT: Finished my trip to Fry's. I saw the TJ-08E but was not blown away by the build quality, sure it is better, but I'm not sure if it is good enough to justify getting rid of the N200. I saw a lot of cases and actually think the build quality of the N200 is about average. I guess you can't reach Mac levels of sturdiness unless you are willing to pay >140 for a case.

lollybo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 21, 2014

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I am a bit disappointed in the sound that my PSU makes. I bought a highly rated PSU from a reputable brand, the Seasonic 550W G series, which had rave reviews mentioning how quiet it was, but in my system it makes a "whirring" sound that can definitely be audible even a few feet a way. I installed it fan up in my Silverstone TJ08-e, and if I cover the vent with a booklet the system is noticeably quieter. Is there something wrong with my unit, or my expectations just too high for a 85 dollar PSU? I estimate the fan to be spinning between 400-700 RPM, it's not LOUD, but definitely noticeable if I pay attention. I could deal with it I suppose, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with this PSU or from Seasonic.

EDIT: When I change the position of my case, it is a bit quieter. Guess I could live with it for now.

lollybo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 26, 2014

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Good idea. Just ordered this since it was on sale and cost the same as the G series. I will be RMAing the G series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Sorry to clog up the thread with yet another PSU question. Looks like I have had really bad luck with PSUs. I recently got a seasonic x650 and it is a nice PSU except at idle there is an annoying high pitched sound at idle. The sound goes away when I run furmark and prime 95. It is also intermittent, sometimes it will go off and go back on again, with no rhyme or reason. And random activities, like scrolling on a webpage or loading a video, predictable causes it to pause for a bit. Is there another solution to this problem, other than an RMA? I read something about this being possibly related to the wall socket being improperly grounded, which may make sense as my system seemed to be silent when I built it at my parents' house, maybe I will try another socket to see if it improves...

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
My Seasonic X650 is nearly silent in the hybrid semi-passive mode, but it gets a little on the warm side. The fan doesn't seem to kick even when gaming. When I turn it on the normal setting it runs cooler- but is noticeably louder. Am I shortening the lifespan of my PSU by running it in passive mode?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I have a high end realtek integrated sound card on my current mobo, but I also have an ancient 10 year old soundblaster xtrememusic. I was wondering if it was worth it to install the old soundcard at this point- the realtek sounds pretty good, but part of me wonders if the higher quality parts and dedicated sound processor on the xtrememusic might make it worth it, despite the age of the card (it was pretty expensive at the time). I understand what I care most about is the quality of the DAC on the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Alright, thanks. I have an asus Gryphon so it is a high end mobo. I looked up the specs and it seems like the SNR for the two cards is similar. I do recall the soundblaster sounding a bit crisper but it may just be a slight difference.