Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm getting ready to dump two old PCs that have been sitting in my closet for years. Before dumping I'm going to pop out the hard drives and see if there's anything on there I might want to save. Is there a way to access the data without booting into it? I assume I'll need some kind of docking station like https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=hard%20drive%20docking%20station&Submit=ENE but I assume there are some complications that arise when you try to use a boot drive as an external hdd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I just installed a 3700x on a b450 tomahawk and can't figure out why my idle CPU temps never drop below 50C. Anyone else have this issue?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Are you using the stock cooler? I think it might be normal if so.

Stock cooler. I only have web browser open and the temp is hovering around 60C, jumping between 55 and 70.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Turns out I can't transfer my windows license because it was OEM bought of Newegg several years ago. Wish the microsoft activation website said something about this before I spent 3 hours on chat.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Lambert posted:

Everything is normal, don't worry. We've been through this in this very thread multiple times.

Yeah I was a bit shocked at first given how cool my old cpu used to run but the 3700x doesn't get much above 80 under load so far so I guess it just runs hot.

Lambert posted:

Did you lose the key?

I lost the key but had proof of purchase. Per the Microsoft rep, it would have been enough if the license wasn't OEM to begin with.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I have a bunch of video encoding jobs I need to run on my 3700. Will I damage the thing by running it constantly for a week or two? Stock cooler and the encoding job runs the CPU at 74-80C, 70-80% utilization, stock settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

A CPU running at stock settings at below maximum operating temp (which 74-80 C is) can be expected to run fine practically forever with no appreciable damage.

You'll be fine.

Thanks. Figured I was worrying over nothing.